Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Uniroyal Plant
This Uniroyal plant was located on Breithaupt St at the Margaret Avenue Bridge.   I would guess this fire occurred sometime in the 80's.   Can not remember the exact date.  [img][Image: 3PrUveC.jpg][/img]

Awesome photos! Thanks for posting these. I'm assuming the greyish concrete building there now was the replacement? Too bad another great brick and beam building was lost.
Wow had no idea these used to be there.
Great images thank you for posting.
Another tidbits about the building:

From a 2010 Record Flash from the Past article
"Schenk’s father, William, was a janitor at the Uniroyal Ltd. textile plant at 84 Margaret Ave., the building just visible on the left side of the photo. Earlier known as the Dominion Rubber Co. textile plant and before that as Canadian Consolidated Felt Co., it was destroyed by fire in the early 1980s."

I couldn't find a picture of the building before it burned down.  It's a pity that some of the older urban fabric isn't recreated where possible rather than giving the city bland modern facades.  How cool would it be if the Lang Tannery building had a few other similar buildings nearby to recreate the "Busy Berlin" vibe?
(10-26-2014, 12:20 AM)nms Wrote: Another tidbits about the building:

From a 2010 Record Flash from the Past article
"Schenk’s father, William, was a janitor at the Uniroyal Ltd. textile plant at 84 Margaret Ave., the building just visible on the left side of the photo. Earlier known as the Dominion Rubber Co. textile plant and before that as Canadian Consolidated Felt Co., it was destroyed by fire in the early 1980s."

I couldn't find a picture of the building before it burned down.  It's a pity that some of the older urban fabric isn't recreated where possible rather than giving the city bland modern facades.  How cool would it be if the Lang Tannery building had a few other similar buildings nearby to recreate the "Busy Berlin" vibe?

There's still a lot of good old factories.  Although you'd hate to see Krug furniture go under.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »