Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
A couple of weeks ago we had dinner at Meetpoint in Waterloo.

Do you remember Meetpoint?  It used to be located on University Ave. W. at Phillip Street.  They used to have really good items on the menu but they were slow.  They made everything from scratch.  It took about half an hour to make fresh bread and most people don't have that kind of time at noon.  For whatever reason they closed that restaurant several years ago.  

The new Meetpoint opened at the Boardwalk a couple of months ago.  It is much nicer, the service is faster and the food is just as delicious as it used to be.  Perhaps better.  Meetpoint serves Turkish food but many of the items on the menu will look familiar to anyone who is a fan of middle eastern cuisine.  Highly recommended.

(02-21-2020, 09:03 AM)jgsz Wrote: A couple of weeks ago we had dinner at Meetpoint in Waterloo.

Do you remember Meetpoint?  It used to be located on University Ave. W. at Phillip Street.  They used to have really good items on the menu but they were slow.  They made everything from scratch.  It took about half an hour to make fresh bread and most people don't have that kind of time at noon.  For whatever reason they closed that restaurant several years ago.  

I'd been there once. Good to know that they're reemerged. Too bad about the location. The rent is probably cheaper. I think that the rent between the Universities is probably non-tenable for anyone who wants to spend money on ingredients or staff.
(02-21-2020, 07:46 PM)plam Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 09:03 AM)jgsz Wrote: A couple of weeks ago we had dinner at Meetpoint in Waterloo.

I'd been there once. Good to know that they're reemerged. Too bad about the location. The rent is probably cheaper. I think that the rent between the Universities is probably non-tenable for anyone who wants to spend money on ingredients or staff.

I agree that the location isn't ideal.  But the food is very good.  Meetpoint is in the same place that used to be Veroce - Italian Restaurant.  I remember when Meetpoint was on University Ave. one of the owners was a Turk and the other a Kurd.  (I recognized one of them working in the kitchen.)  I don't know if that had anything to do with the restaurant closing because intermarriage between the two nations is very common.  It's the constant conflict with the Kurds that make no sense to me.
Found this in the Kitchener Building Permits System

19-140595 CB 225 FAIRWAY RD S Bldg 200 Commercial Building Restaurant, Bar New Construction Open Permit is for a new building for a Chick-fil-A restaurant.
Chik-Fil-A? I keep hearing of their ventures outside the US failing due to their poor record on LGBT issues. I imagine that will follow them here.
They seem to have moderated their stance recently. Apparently they are now also funding Covenant House.
(02-24-2020, 04:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They seem to have moderated their stance recently. Apparently they are now also funding Covenant House.

They announced a change in their donation policy late last year and (without saying so) are not donating to organizations that take anti-LGBT positions.

I’ve never tried them, but their food seems very popular.

I only just recently discovered that Crazy Canuck has a location next to the Apollo in DTK (for two years now!). I've enjoyed going there when I'm around the St. Jacob's market, but it will be nice to have an option a bit closer to home.
(02-24-2020, 06:33 PM)jamincan Wrote: I only just recently discovered that Crazy Canuck has a location next to the Apollo in DTK (for two years now!). I've enjoyed going there when I'm around the St. Jacob's market, but it will be nice to have an option a bit closer to home.

I thought it might have been even longer than that.  Are they actually inside the main floor of the office building?  Or access from outside?
(02-25-2020, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 06:33 PM)jamincan Wrote: I only just recently discovered that Crazy Canuck has a location next to the Apollo in DTK (for two years now!). I've enjoyed going there when I'm around the St. Jacob's market, but it will be nice to have an option a bit closer to home.

I thought it might have been even longer than that.  Are they actually inside the main floor of the office building?  Or access from outside?

You have to walk in the same entrance as Apollo, but go down the hallway to the right a little bit. There's an internal courtyard where they have seating, but you do have to go into the building to get to it.

I'd been going to movies in that building since the 80s but somehow never realized the courtyard existed until the first time I went to Crazy Canuck.
Hmm very cool, definitely worth checking out
(02-25-2020, 12:38 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote: I thought it might have been even longer than that.  Are they actually inside the main floor of the office building?  Or access from outside?

You have to walk in the same entrance as Apollo, but go down the hallway to the right a little bit. There's an internal courtyard where they have seating, but you do have to go into the building to get to it.

During business hours you can also enter from the front door on Duke St. Walk through the lobby, past the elevators, and make a right at the end of the hallway and it's right there.
(02-25-2020, 02:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 12:38 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: You have to walk in the same entrance as Apollo, but go down the hallway to the right a little bit. There's an internal courtyard where they have seating, but you do have to go into the building to get to it.

During business hours you can else get in from the front door on Duke St. Walk through the lobby, past the elevators, and make a right at the end of the hallway and it's right there.

Oh nice, I'll have to remember that next time I go. Especially in the winter! Thanks!

(02-25-2020, 12:38 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote: I thought it might have been even longer than that.  Are they actually inside the main floor of the office building?  Or access from outside?

I'd been going to movies in that building since the 80s but somehow never realized the courtyard existed until the first time I went to Crazy Canuck.

You can also go in by the main Duke St entrance.
Is there no signage out front?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »