Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 Lauris Avenue | 3 + 4 fl | Proposed
The Region of Waterloo is proposing a new affordable housing project at 30 Lauris Avenue, Cambridge. They are seeking to partner with a non-profit or a private developer to have the project completed.

[Image: 10v1uIM.png]

Proposed are 2 buildings of 4 and 3 floors respectively containing a total of 104 residential units. They are proposing a mixture of both market rate and affordable housing units, aiming to have at least 30% be deemed affordable for a period of no less than 40 years. In total there would be: 14 studio units, 48 one bedroom units, 31 two bedroom units and 11 three bedroom units. A total 71 parking spaces both underground and above ground are proposed which is 0.68 per unit, less than 130 units required by zoning rules. Both indoor and outdoor parking areas are proposed. A small amenity space on the ground floor of the larger building is also proposed providing a 45.73m² space for residents.[/align]

A public meeting is to be held today (August 8th) at 8:30PM. If you wish to speak at the meeting, you can register here: https://forms.cambridge.ca/Delegation-Request-Form
The only councillor who gives a damn is a bit irate about the callous comments from some about this project.

Non paywall Record link:
https://archive.is/hfTy7

Quote:“We can’t just say, ‘I am in favour of developments, but just not here,’ or ‘I really support building affordable housing, but just not here.’ These red herrings don’t make any sense for a community in dire need of homes for families and residents. We either believe in affordable housing or we don’t. And I certainly do, and I believe the city does as well,” Hamilton said.

“It can be hard to see a neighbourhood change, and I sympathize when residents don’t want any change on their streets. But change is inevitable and good homes for good families is always a great change to make.”
local cambridge weirdo
Council is ready for a fight? Getting ahead of the NIMBYs? Maybe council will be surprised and the objections will be few or none? No official complaints yet, just the expectation that there will be.

From the Record
https://archive.ph/hfTy7
'We either believe in affordable housing or we don’t': Cambridge councillor rankled by NIMBYism over affordable housing proposal

"What is making his (Coun. Scott Hamilton) brow furrow heading into the Aug. 8 Cambridge planning committee meeting is NIMBYism. He’s not looking forward to the expected negative attitudes about people and families living in affordable units."
I'll bet a few dollars that someone complains about the impact on property values at the very least. Maybe traffic, too, because that's always a go-to for NIMBYs.
(08-08-2023, 01:49 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'll bet a few dollars that someone complains about the impact on property values at the very least. Maybe traffic, too, because that's always a go-to for NIMBYs.

Considering that there’s a homeless encampment in the park across the street, that seems very on brand for local misanthropic homeowners.
local cambridge weirdo
Approved by council 6-1 last night.

Thankfully only a minimum of idiotic comments from objecting councillors:
Quote:Coun. Mike Devine voted against the proposal. He shared concerns about the amendment that would allow 112 units per hectare on the site. 

"Yes we need housing. Yes we need rentals. But we need to look at the whole community, so we need to be careful about where we're putting the density and how we're putting it there," he said.

Who knew apartment styles commonly built back when he was a kid are suddenly something you need to be “careful” about in 2023
local cambridge weirdo

Was the concern about increased density without available green space (either on the site or nearby)? Or transportation connectivity, or other services?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »