Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50 Borden Ave S | 51, 57 fl | Proposed
Wowzerz

From a neighbourhood meeting scheduled for June 6th. 

https://calendar.kitchener.ca/default/De...nt-50-Bord

City of Kitchener has received applications to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law for the property located at 50 Borden Ave S.  The applicant is proposing to the develop the property with a mixed-use development consisting of two towers (57 storeys and 51 storeys in height) having 1,224 dwelling units and 7,240 m2 of commercial and institutional space.  Site-specific regulations propose a Floor Space Ratio (FSR) of 16.1, a reduced rear yard setback, and a parking reduction to permit 618 parking spaces.

Zoning change is marked on the development map but not yet updated with the documents/renders/developer. Will post documents once they are available.

(05-11-2023, 10:38 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Wowzerz

From a neighbourhood meeting scheduled for June 6th. 

https://calendar.kitchener.ca/default/De...nt-50-Bord

City of Kitchener has received applications to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law for the property located at 50 Borden Ave S.  The applicant is proposing to the develop the property with a mixed-use development consisting of two towers (57 storeys and 51 storeys in height) having 1,224 dwelling units and 7,240 m2 of commercial and institutional space.  Site-specific regulations propose a Floor Space Ratio (FSR) of 16.1, a reduced rear yard setback, and a parking reduction to permit 618 parking spaces.

Zoning change is marked on the development map but not yet updated with the documents/renders/developer. Will post documents once they are available.

They were doing soil samples on this site a few months ago so it was just a matter of time before something like this comes along. It'll be interesting to see what comes of Grand River Rocks since they're not going to be able to stay since this is that property. It's a pretty decent location for densification considering it is immediately next to Borden station and numerous future 30+ floor buildings.
RIP Grand River Rocks and Go Bananas?
(05-12-2023, 02:02 AM)nms Wrote: RIP Grand River Rocks and Go Bananas?

They are planning for over 7000 sq meters of commerical/institutional space, the current GRR and Go Bananas space is only 2000 sq meters, so maybe they get to stay just in the podium of the new building. But I really hope they can stay because its a really great place.

Edit: it's confirmed that Grand River Rocks is moving from their current location to a new location around the beginning of June.
Council and staff have received direction from the province to really encourage/promote density around MTSA’s. So it’s possible to be approved at this height. Although this is extremely tall for the area (180m) I can also see it recommended to be chopped down. What are your thoughts?
(05-12-2023, 07:32 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Council and staff have received direction from the province to really encourage/promote density around MTSA’s. So it’s possible to be approved at this height. Although this is extremely tall for the area (180m) I can also see it recommended to be chopped down. What are your thoughts?

Between King and Charles on that block there is already 3 30+ floor buildings proposed, the Vive building has gotten it's OPA/ZBA for 30 floors, Dov Capital is doing 33+37 it just needs site plan approval, so those are almost transitional heights to something like this, looking at the PARTS plan this is what was expected for all of the industrial so it makes sense especially with how underutilized the area around Borden is. But I can definitely see council asking for a reduction in height. But overall it definitely is nice to see development on this end of Downtown like this.

The only reason this can go that high is since it is right outside the AZR zone for the airport, if this was over on the property next to it with the City Cafe they wouldn't be allowed to go that high.
I like a tower as much as the next person, and am glad to see that part of town redeveloping/densifying but I really don't understand the economics of apartment towers that tall in Kitchener. Is it real or is this an exercise in upzoning to increase the value of the land?

(05-12-2023, 09:52 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I like a tower as much as the next person, and am glad to see that part of town redeveloping/densifying but I really don't understand the economics of apartment towers that tall in Kitchener.  Is it real or is this an exercise in upzoning to increase the value of the land?

I mean it is real enough for Grand River Rocks to be moving in a couple months. (Hopefully they aren't moving to the outskirts of town) I would guess that it won't be the full 57 flrs, but that something around the 40-45 flrs is likely. Still tall for the region. The area around Borden station is one of the best areas in the region suited for intensification. Mostly surrounded by industrial buildings so there won't be much NIMBY push back. I just hope the City of Kitchener holds developers to their PARTS masterplan for the neighbourhood including the addition grid street layout to breakup the block sizes and an area dedicated for a decent sized urban park.
(05-12-2023, 10:23 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 09:52 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I like a tower as much as the next person, and am glad to see that part of town redeveloping/densifying but I really don't understand the economics of apartment towers that tall in Kitchener.  Is it real or is this an exercise in upzoning to increase the value of the land?

I mean it is real enough for Grand River Rocks to be moving in a couple months. (Hopefully they aren't moving to the outskirts of town) I would guess that it won't be the full 57 flrs, but that something around the 40-45 flrs is likely. Still tall for the region. The area around Borden station is one of the best areas in the region suited for intensification. Mostly surrounded by industrial buildings so there won't be much NIMBY push back. I just hope the City of Kitchener holds developers to their PARTS masterplan for the neighbourhood including the addition grid street layout to breakup the block sizes and an area dedicated for a decent sized urban park.

Big emphasis on making space for more parkland. Density is what it is and best at these nodes but we will regret letting more of the city get to the shortage of green space downtown when there is the chance to force securing it now.
Not really a surprise, GRR's building was never going to last long right next to an LRT station. Impressive proposed height, will have to see if it goes ahead that high.
(05-12-2023, 07:23 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 02:02 AM)nms Wrote: RIP Grand River Rocks and Go Bananas?

They are planning for over 7000 sq meters of commerical/institutional space, the current GRR and Go Bananas space is only 2000 sq meters, so maybe they get to stay just in the podium of the new building. But I really hope they can stay because its a really great place.

Edit: it's confirmed that Grand River Rocks is moving from their current location to a new location around the beginning of June.

GRR Kitchener isn't moving in June, they're just announcing the new location on June 1st. The move will be in 2024 and they've hinted that the new location will still be close to downtown on their instagram.

https://grandriverrocks.com/uncategorize...tion-news/
(05-12-2023, 01:36 PM)hellocharliewest Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 07:23 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote: They are planning for over 7000 sq meters of commerical/institutional space, the current GRR and Go Bananas space is only 2000 sq meters, so maybe they get to stay just in the podium of the new building. But I really hope they can stay because its a really great place.

GRR Kitchener isn't moving in June, they're just announcing the new location on June 1st. The move will be in 2024 and they've hinted that the new location will still be close to downtown on their instagram.

https://grandriverrocks.com/uncategorize...tion-news/
That is Great news! I bet they are moving to the LA fitness facility on Victoria. I thought for sure they would move to south kitchener or something.
The documents are now posted, the development will be a mix of 1 and 2 bedroom units. 429 2 bedroom and 795 1 bedroom units. The tallest tower will be at the corner of Borden and Charles, the shorter will be on the opposite corner. The commerical space is only 324.3 sqm and it's all located at the corner of Borden and Charles, the institutional space is located throughout the first 6 floors and it comprises 6926.7 sqm.

The architectural work is done by Edge Architects, this development looks to be a partnership between Woodhouse Group and Vive.

The tallest building will be constructed in phase 1, the shortest in phase 2. The towers are connected to each other with a 13 floor podium.

The 618 parking spots are located in one underground floor and 8 floors of the podium.

https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...680772.pdf
I can't figure out who wants 75,000 sq ft of institutional space, I can't imagine they're building it on spec.

Also, looking through the OPA/ZBA packages I'm really wondering about the number of elevators. It shows 3 per tower, which means about 200 units per elevator. 100 units per elevator seems like the standard for other buildings, so I'm wondering if they're fast elevators or if everyone is going to be waiting a long time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »