Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
I don't think any of the buildings are specifically funded by the province. And most likely a parking garage would not attract huge alumni donations, so funding from parking revenues indeed seems like the most likely path.

https://southwoodcircle.com/master-plan/

This is a master planned community by the University of Manitoba.

Compare that to what the University of Waterloo has planned their vast amount of land holdings in Waterloo. The mediocrity of the public and private sector in this Region just make me sad.

https://uwaterloo.ca/plant-operations/si...r_plan.pdf
It would be interesting to see what would happen if the University Planning school were asked to reimagine the block that includes the Columbia Lake Villages up to Fisher-Hallman Road. In many ways, the University of Manitoba plan is a similar sized property.
(02-21-2024, 09:40 PM)nms Wrote: It would be interesting to see what would happen if the University Planning school were asked to reimagine the block that includes the Columbia Lake Villages up to Fisher-Hallman Road.  In many ways, the University of Manitoba plan is a similar sized property.

Certainly it would be better...

But even the school is questionable...one of the heads of the School of planning (Clarence Woudsma) was interviewed by the National Post a little while ago and stated that you cannot live a fulfilling life without a car. (And this isn't in "the real world in Canada today" it was in a hypothetical perfect 15 minute city). I mean, I haven't had a car in years and I don't miss it, but I guess some academic knows how fulfilling my life is better than I do.

I know folks at the city have candidly told me how problematic they found the University as a partner...certainly the bus station situation confirms that to me. And I also remember when I was a grad student discovering that the university administration and the professors were not the same thing and there was also some...disagreement there as well. My theory: the university admin have a parking garage under their building...they don't actually engage or interact with the larger university at all...but of course, somehow it's the professors that are in an "ivory tower"...
The university of waterloos built form is a planning nightmare. The fact that they are also just sitting on so much land is mind boggling to me. Turn it into something usable at least.
It's funny because they have a great architecture school full of BAS and MArch students from all over the world who spend years living here while studying the fields of architecture, from theory to philosophy to design, but the actual school itself is a nightmare. And so many of the new plans they make are just as bad or they waste all this land by sitting on it. I get these students are not yet licensed, but it wouldn't hurt to have a design challenge that students could do when the school is planning something new for the campus. If any of you regularly go to the architecture school in Cambridge for the public exhibits, you'd know just how skilled these students are. I know they could offer a lot of good ideas.
(02-22-2024, 04:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I know folks at the city have candidly told me how problematic they found the University as a partner...certainly the bus station situation confirms that to me. And I also remember when I was a grad student discovering that the university administration and the professors were not the same thing and there was also some...disagreement there as well. My theory: the university admin have a parking garage under their building...they don't actually engage or interact with the larger university at all...but of course, somehow it's the professors that are in an "ivory tower"...

Just to be clear, you are aware that there is in fact a parking level under Needles Hall? The President, a few senior administrators, and anybody who can pay the necessarily high rates for the visitor spots, are the only people on campus with covered parking.

(02-22-2024, 09:57 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-22-2024, 04:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I know folks at the city have candidly told me how problematic they found the University as a partner...certainly the bus station situation confirms that to me. And I also remember when I was a grad student discovering that the university administration and the professors were not the same thing and there was also some...disagreement there as well. My theory: the university admin have a parking garage under their building...they don't actually engage or interact with the larger university at all...but of course, somehow it's the professors that are in an "ivory tower"...

Just to be clear, you are aware that there is in fact a parking level under Needles Hall? The President, a few senior administrators, and anybody who can pay the necessarily high rates for the visitor spots, are the only people on campus with covered parking.

Yes, I am aware...perhaps I should have clarified my theory:

"My theory: BECAUSE the university admin have a parking garage under their building, they don't actually interact with...."
(02-23-2024, 02:28 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-22-2024, 09:57 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Just to be clear, you are aware that there is in fact a parking level under Needles Hall? The President, a few senior administrators, and anybody who can pay the necessarily high rates for the visitor spots, are the only people on campus with covered parking.

Yes, I am aware...perhaps I should have clarified my theory:

"My theory: BECAUSE the university admin have a parking garage under their building, they don't actually interact with...."

I’m pretty well connected with faculty at the school and have worked two co-ops there as well. 

I haven’t met anyone fond of the admin, and I’ve heard nothing except how much of a nightmare they are to work with, particularly those working in senior positions (day to day administrative staff are fine, though there is unquestionably bloat on the admin level almost everywhere you look)
Anyone got a post/link to the (de)construction going on at Regina and University? Building is coming down - what's going up?
(former A1 Cleaning garage)
(03-13-2024, 03:12 PM)allknowing2012 Wrote: Anyone got a post/link to the (de)construction going on at Regina and University? Building is coming down - what's going up?
(former A1 Cleaning garage)

https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1759
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »