Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
308 King St N | 25 fl | U/C
308 King St N, Waterloo
Prica Global Enterprises
https://www.pricaglobal.com

[Image: Wt0THyx.jpg][Image: cOxj8Ht.jpg]

Accidentally typed 306 in the title. Not sure if I can fix or if mod has to?
Progress photo from tonight: [Image: 7gSj8R8.jpg]
Spandrel yard sale.
(02-17-2023, 01:00 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Spandrel yard sale.

Haha, to tell you the truth I don't mind it, The parking podium looks ok.  This is the type of tower that was built in Vancouver in the late 00's. Not ever building needs to be iconic, this is better than 90% of the towers in Northdale so overall its an improvement to the area.
(02-17-2023, 11:28 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 01:00 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Spandrel yard sale.

Haha, to tell you the truth I don't mind it, The parking podium looks ok.  This is the type of tower that was built in Vancouver in the late 00's. Not ever building needs to be iconic, this is better than 90% of the towers in Northdale so overall its an improvement to the area.

I will grant you that this is a probably a better look than the sun faded slate grey precast up the street from it. At least there is some colour, even if the framing on the spandrel starts to make it look like a birdcage after a while.
Yuck. At least these ugly things are confined to the student ghetto.

(02-17-2023, 05:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yuck. At least these ugly things are confined to the student ghetto.

You should think twice before using the term 'ghetto', especially when saying that something is ugly and inferior.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/wo...-1.6252274

"Using these terms implies a negative connotation toward people of a certain socio-economic class (often associated with racialized groups) — typically those who have recently immigrated and often move to large metropolis areas and not suburbs, he said."
It only implies that if the person reading it has worms in their brain and is ridiculously sensitive.

Not implying you do, but I've had people say that to me when I've used the term to describe the student ghetto. And as someone who grew up in an economically poor environment, myself and plenty of other people who live in those places also use the term.

It's silly how much people attempt to police the use of language these days. What matters is context and nuance, not the word itself. There are situations one should not use certain words (I wouldn't use the term student ghetto in a research paper) but in casual conversation it's surely obvious there's no nefarious intent unless one is trying to do just that.
Well said ...
Fun fact about the word "ghetto" from Merriam-Webster (once an English & History major, always an English & History Major):

Quote:The etymology of Italian ghetto was formerly the subject of much speculation, but today there is little doubt that the word comes from the Italian dialect form ghèto, meaning “foundry.” A foundry for cannons was once located on an island that forms part of Venice, where in 1516 the Venetians restricted Jewish residence. The word ghèto became the name for the area and was borrowed into standard Italian as ghetto, with the meaning of “section of a city where Jews are forced to live.” From there it passed into most other European languages. Since the late 19th century, the meaning of ghetto has been extended to crowded urban districts where other ethnic or racial groups have been confined by poverty or prejudice.

But I agree, skipping using the word "ghetto" would probably be a good thing to do.
And now one of the meanings, identified by use the word “student”, is just “area where lots of students live”, with maybe some additional connotation associated with that (crowded? busy? loud? rundown?).

Language is cool, and etymology is history, but not, by itself, a reason to avoid a word.
Tone policing in all the wrong ways and places. :'P

Anyway, not the most offensive building in this area (see: Preston House) I guess.

(Preston House) God the Beige on Beige on Beige with silver window is horrific. I know the city is basically powerless when it comes to the design of the towers, but it still amazes me that little to no thought was put into making a coherent neighbourhood. some of the regions best restaurants are in Northdale, but it seems so random which buildings have comercial units.
The entire area has become quite an interesting case study in failed urban planning/architecture at the University of Waterloo itself. Their School of Architecture has explored the issues with this neighbourhood quite a bit. Which is kind of absurdly amusing that the university which the housing is intended for, studies how horrifically bad 99% of it looks and functions.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »