Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
109 Bridgeport Rd E & 30 Weber St N | 35, 24, 19 fl | Proposed
A developer is proposing a 3 tower mixed use development at 109, 115 and 133 Bridgeport Road East and 30 Weber Street North. The architectural design is by ABA Architects.

Proposed is a 3 tower development, with a 25, 24 and 22 floor tower. 622 residential units are planned, being a mixture of 1 and 2 bedroom units for a total of 785 bedrooms. Commercial units are proposed facing Weber Street. 569 parking spaces are proposed contained within both the podium and a parking garage that will be connected to the tower complex. Building amenities are proposed on the 1st and 5th floors.

[Image: F3ZtDAf.png]

[Image: 1JDW4NJ.png]

I'm not sure who the developer is and the buildings are the usual 25 floor slabs. They look to be the standard ABA style work...hard to judge them without a full list of materials or renderings but it's like they have 1 person designing all their work as it all looks the same. Nonetheless, a few hundred new residential units is good to see - if it gets approved.
Good location for density. The shopping centre is right there. I’m all for surrounding suburban style plazas with density. It makes them seem less atrocious.
Initially I was going to ask if there was already a thread for this, but then realized this is on the east side of Weber. The one I’m thinking of is west of Weber and not right at the corner. The render makes it look like there might even be a portico, at least part way around. I’m a bit disappointed if commercial will be only facing Weber. It would be nice if eventually commercial space would extend along other major streets, including Bridgeport and Erb.
I believe that the developer may actually be the original owner of the property who used to manufacture clothing there. There was an article somewhere about that.
I should also mention I’m pleased to see that it includes the properties along Weber. I frequently drive by that property and I had been musing about the possibility of the vacant lot plus the Weber St. properties all being redeveloped as one, and was hoping that the single-story buildings on Weber wouldn’t stay while the vacant lot was redeveloped.
This development was scheduled to go to the OLT in February however the developer has recently resubmitted to the city with a tower of 35 floors (up from 25) and another of 19 (down from 22). Any more case management conferences will be scheduled for sometime after May. Documents are not public as it is at the OLT.

Again this is coming from The Record article from today: https://archive.is/8BNUC#selection-6267.0-6267.168

"The revised proposal would see one tower increased to 35 storeys (from 25) while another tower is reduced to 19 storeys (from 22). The total number of units would increase by 84, among other planning adjustments. "

It wasn't clear to me from the article: if the City approved the proposal as requested, on what grounds did the developer go to the OLT?
(03-14-2024, 09:43 PM)nms Wrote: It wasn't clear to me from the article: if the City approved the proposal as requested, on what grounds did the developer go to the OLT?

It was appealed to the OLT since the city didn't respect section 22(7) of the planning act which requires the city to have a decision on the OPA within 120 days. What was appealed was never approved, neither is the current iteration which can only be approved through a settlement agreement, not the standard OPA/ZBA approval process.
Was the City even close to meeting the 120 day deadline? Or does the City give up because they are so overwhelmed?
(03-17-2024, 09:27 PM)nms Wrote: Was the City even close to meeting the 120 day deadline? Or does the City give up because they are so overwhelmed?

The city has just given up on meeting the 120 day deadline especially since every other project in Waterloo is going to the OLT, Kitchener has certainly had significantly more applications but they have less projects at the OLT for timeline issues.

For Waterloo they have 4 different projects that have hit the OLT due to the timeline issue. This project, 81-85 Bridgeport, VanMar's project at Erb/Regina, then Drewlo's project.

For Kitchener there's only 3 projects, 93-99 Benton, subdivision at Ottawa/Trussler, and 10 Duke St W.
I suspect those Kitchener projects (at least 93-99 Benton and 10 Duke W) are not timeline related, either.
(03-18-2024, 10:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I suspect those Kitchener projects (at least 93-99 Benton and 10 Duke W) are not timeline related, either.

All the OLT cases can be viewed here:https://jus-olt-prod.powerappsportals.com/en/e-status/

93-99 Benton is for section 22(7) which is the OPA timeline issue.

10 Duke W is due to the city not providing SPA in the correct timeline, section 41(12) states "If the municipality fails to approve the plans or drawings referred to in subsection (4) within 60 days after they are received by the municipality, the owner may appeal the failure to approve the plans or drawings to the Tribunal"

I was mistaken! Thanks for the correction.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »