Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 municipal election publicity
Estonia does all their elections online. You saying the Estonian government isn't legit?!

(10-28-2022, 09:02 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Estonia does all their elections online. You saying the Estonian government isn't legit?!

"less trustworthy" != illegitimate.

All things are a spectrum. There are fundamental reasons why online voting is less secure (don't tell anyone but some of the same reasons apply for mail in ballots).

So, doing online voting is absolutely a cost...does it mean an election is not legitimate, no, does it mean that it is higher risk and less secure, absolutely. Is it a reason not to do online voting..maybe, it depends on the election. FWIW, I have no problem seeing most municipal elections support online voting in Canada, our municipal elections are pretty small peanuts these days, people don't even care enough to vote, why would they care enough to steal the election.

Does it also make sense in Estonia, I don't know, I'm not the one who should make that decision.

But I do know I wouldn't want our federal election to be done online.
Estonia has an electronic ID infrastructure that we don't have, so their electronic voting is quite robust. The only national electronic ID that exists in Canada is the new-style e-Passport, and lots of people don't have one of those. A big gap to bridge before we can enable effective online voting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »