Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing shortfall, costs and affordability
No point in building a single detached home anyways, new report says that merely 25 percent of Canadians could actually afford to buy one...

Those homes are for the investors and slumlords! :'P
(12-22-2023, 11:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: Those homes are for the investors and slumlords! :'P

True True, all the people who already have theirs or have equity in the market place.  Good luck to my kids.  I suspect that a majority of the 25 % that can afford the homes are also in other parts of Canada where it is somewhat more affordable...  Go West young man !!!!
(12-22-2023, 11:06 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: No point in building a single detached home anyways, new report says that merely 25 percent of Canadians could actually afford to buy one...

I assume you’re being sarcastic? The reason they (and all forms of housing) are expensive is because many people want them and they’re hard to build, so the supply has fallen behind. If something essential is expensive that typically means we need more of it.

Except that construction seems to be expensive now too, so even if we allow sprawl to infinity I’m not sure how much that would help with detached home prices (well, probably not at all if we had development charges that covered all the external costs of such development…).
There was sarcasm. But in sarcasm is often truth. If you build all these big homes in the country side, it is a moot point if the masses cant afford it...
(12-22-2023, 10:31 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Meanwhile, the Ontario government is focused on converting farmland into suburbia, with no density requirements. And they seem to have completely dropped the idea of eliminating exclusionary zoning.

This is why I laugh every time someone claims we are making progress. We are building bad things faster than we are fixing the existing crap. If we actually want to make forward progress we have to turn off the shit tap.
(12-21-2023, 07:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: The feds to throw just under half a billion at the housing crisis: https://www.reuters.com/markets/canada-g...023-12-21/

I'm sure this will go to good use!

Just as important as the 471 million in housing dollars is the trades that the Ministry is extracting out of Toronto. If we can get BC-style transit centre zoning for Toronto, it'll be a huge step towards a better zoning regime. Better yet, enforce the recommendations of the Ontario housing task force report. Hopefully, the federal money encourages the city to stop being so recalcitrant - and sets an example for other cities to follow.

(12-22-2023, 04:30 PM)coriander Wrote: Better yet, enforce the recommendations of the Ontario housing task force report.

Who should enforce them? The municipalities? Because the provincial government has decided to ignore its own task force.
(12-22-2023, 04:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-22-2023, 04:30 PM)coriander Wrote: Better yet, enforce the recommendations of the Ontario housing task force report.

Who should enforce them? The municipalities? Because the provincial government has decided to ignore its own task force.

The provincial government has absolutely failed to act on the report. It looks like, however, with the failure to destroy the Greenbelt, the ON housing ministry has aligned with the federal ministry to begin a push to get municipalities to adopt less restrictive measures. Hopefully this amounts to something. https://globalnews.ca/news/10186678/onta...sit-lines/
(12-22-2023, 04:53 PM)coriander Wrote:
(12-22-2023, 04:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Who should enforce them? The municipalities? Because the provincial government has decided to ignore its own task force.

The provincial government has absolutely failed to act on the report. It looks like, however, with the failure to destroy the Greenbelt, the ON housing ministry has aligned with the federal ministry to begin a push to get municipalities to adopt less restrictive measures. Hopefully this amounts to something. https://globalnews.ca/news/10186678/onta...sit-lines/

Density near rapid transit is good. But it does not help to increase the number of homes in the vast tracts of SFH housing (with exclusionary zoning) that we have today.
(12-22-2023, 04:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-22-2023, 04:53 PM)coriander Wrote: The provincial government has absolutely failed to act on the report. It looks like, however, with the failure to destroy the Greenbelt, the ON housing ministry has aligned with the federal ministry to begin a push to get municipalities to adopt less restrictive measures. Hopefully this amounts to something. https://globalnews.ca/news/10186678/onta...sit-lines/

Density near rapid transit is good. But it does not help to increase the number of homes in the vast tracts of SFH housing (with exclusionary zoning) that we have today.

I'm not sure, what do you feel it doesn't help? I would think it would help with the housing crisis...and also with improving our cities, but it isn't a complete solution.
(12-22-2023, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-22-2023, 04:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Density near rapid transit is good. But it does not help to increase the number of homes in the vast tracts of SFH housing (with exclusionary zoning) that we have today.

I'm not sure, what do you feel it doesn't help? I would think it would help with the housing crisis...and also with improving our cities, but it isn't a complete solution.

Density near LRT stations helps (near the LRT stations), just as you said.

Eliminating the exclusionary zoning--as recommended by the Tories' own task force--would help even more.
(12-22-2023, 02:42 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: There was sarcasm. But in sarcasm is often truth. If you build all these big homes in the country side, it is a moot point if the masses cant afford it...

Thanks, that makes sense.

(12-23-2023, 09:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-22-2023, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm not sure, what do you feel it doesn't help? I would think it would help with the housing crisis...and also with improving our cities, but it isn't a complete solution.

Density near LRT stations helps (near the LRT stations), just as you said.

Eliminating the exclusionary zoning--as recommended by the Tories' own task force--would help even more.

Sorry, I guess I misread that.
$15 million in provincial funding may be cut due to the region falling drastically short of its 2023 housing goal: https://archive.ph/5Qx64
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »