Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing shortfall, costs and affordability
The issue is the developers, not the municipalities.

(01-07-2024, 09:25 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 07:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The region's argument is that they have approved well more than the goal, but the developers have deferred the starts, whether due to financing, interest rates, subcontractor availability or something else. And they do have a point: they can control approvals, but not the actual starts.

Oddly, though, other cities aren't having the same issue. This tells me it's a problem with the region and the cities within. So many councillors in the city halls bend over backwards to NIMBY's and in general, a lot of red tap and very slow approvals, make it ripe for developers not bending over backwards themselves to get things going here.

We need a change: the mayors are not doing enough, and the chairwoman for the region is very unhelpful.

Those approvals have made it past the council, the mayors and the NIMBY opposition, though, so they should be able to start.

Some cities have met the targets, others have not. Our region is not the only one that has not.
(01-07-2024, 10:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 09:25 PM)jeffster Wrote: Oddly, though, other cities aren't having the same issue. This tells me it's a problem with the region and the cities within. So many councillors in the city halls bend over backwards to NIMBY's and in general, a lot of red tap and very slow approvals, make it ripe for developers not bending over backwards themselves to get things going here.

We need a change: the mayors are not doing enough, and the chairwoman for the region is very unhelpful.

Those approvals have made it past the council, the mayors and the NIMBY opposition, though, so they should be able to start.

Some cities have met the targets, others have not. Our region is not the only one that has not.

It sounds like most have not, and even those that made the cut for funding didn't necessarily meet the target either (only 80%). If we want to compare to other cities, we would need to know the ratio of approvals to starts for each city. And even then, not all markets are equals.

(01-07-2024, 10:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The issue is the developers, not the municipalities.

There is plenty to blame developers for, but for not building enough? I think there is enough competition in the development industry that I wouldn't assume they are withholding supply to increase their margins. If the construction industry had the capacity and the economics made sense, you think developers would forgo that profit?
(01-07-2024, 10:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The issue is the developers, not the municipalities.

Developers won't build if the costs don't make sense - other than interest rates, a huge chunk of their costs come from arbitrary city nonsense. Cities can't fix the rising costs of construction, that's for the province and feds to do, but they can fix the decades of theft from new developments to existing residents.
local cambridge weirdo
(01-07-2024, 11:32 PM)bravado Wrote:

Developers won't build if the costs don't make sense - other than interest rates, a huge chunk of their costs come from arbitrary city nonsense. Cities can't fix the rising costs of construction, that's for the province and feds to do, but they can fix the decades of theft from new developments to existing residents.

Are you referring to development fees? They roughly cover the cost of new or upgraded infrastructure only, repairs to existing infrastructure is covered from property taxes. And for suburban development, the development fees may not even cover the costs.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ur...-1.6193429
(01-07-2024, 11:32 PM)bravado Wrote:

Apart from direct things like this, a lot of distortionary effects of planning reduce incentive gradients. The process also absolutely needs to be streamlined.
The Region of Waterloo had given approval to look into allow building houses above parking lots and vacant properties: https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2024/01/25...roperties/

If the majority of Cambridge council could read, they’d be pretty embarrassed about this
local cambridge weirdo
Prime Minister Trudeau makes $22M funding announcement for housing in Waterloo, Ont: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/prime-minis...-1.6753120

(edited by moderator)
Heh, so the moderation policy of this forum is pro-censorship when it comes to the elite ruling class I guess? Not sure why it's okay to call Doug Ford and other politicians silly names but calling out your proven racist Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who paints his face black and wears turbans for fun requires moderator intervention...but at least we know that's a No No, I guess.

As a person of colour it's always still a surprise to get censored, but I suppose the rage we feel is something only we can understand. Sorry, Justin. Thank you Sir for the drop in the bucket for the housing crisis you created. 🙏
You can make comments about politicians (and you just did). All I request is civility.
I am unable to be civil to racists. What kind of absurd request is that? If the person who has been elected to lead you and tens of millions of your fellow citizens thinks it's funny to paint his face black and "act like a black"; or to don a fake turban to act as a Middle Eastern...exactly why do you think I ought to grant such an evil, horrible, racist and psychotic person civility? This person is part of a lineage of individuals who have put me and countless others through generations of racist trauma. Trudeau can fuck off along with his 22 million. He, his government and all their policies have ruined us.

Gimmie a break lol seriously. Talk about civility and defend this moron...jeez... Censor this as well, should you wish, Tom. Or leave it up for discussion!
(02-05-2024, 10:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: … an evil, horrible, racist and psychotic person …

Trudeau is none of these, to the extent that any of them express a statement of fact that can be evaluated as true or false. Get a grip.

(02-06-2024, 12:39 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-05-2024, 10:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: … an evil, horrible, racist and psychotic person …

Trudeau is none of these, to the extent that any of them express a statement of fact that can be evaluated as true or false. Get a grip.

I remind you folks, this is coming from the same person who referred to homeless people as vermin.
(02-06-2024, 12:39 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

I tend to stay out of politic talk on this forum as most on here cant accept another persons perspective if it does not align with their own.  I will push the pause button for a moment,  Justin Trudeau is a narcissist, ego maniac, misogynists and everything else that ac3r said...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »