Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric BBQs
(01-06-2023, 03:00 AM)plam Wrote:
(01-05-2023, 04:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes...in Canada it'd be important to use an extension with 12 gauge wiring.

That being said, in Europe the same BBQ uses less than 10 amps Tongue  240v circuits deliver a shocking about amount of power.

That being said, I don't think Europe has the same kind of light duty extension cords as Canada....every Schuko plug extension cord I've seen has been rated to carry the full 16 amps available on a standard circuit (there are light duty extension cords around but they seem to only have the europlug socket which is only rated for 2.5 amps and so couldn't be used with high draw appliances).

I don't actually own any extension cords... the other thing about 240V circuits is that electric kettles are fast!

Yes, 3.5kW kettles are great.

I’m amazed. Extension cord was one of the first things we bought.

(01-06-2023, 10:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 03:00 AM)plam Wrote: I don't actually own any extension cords... the other thing about 240V circuits is that electric kettles are fast!

Yes, 3.5kW kettles are great.

Maybe from it's having the saying "extension cords are for temporary use only" from being on the Joint Health and Safety Committee at the University. Clearly if you are bringing out the BBQ and connecting the extension cord while it's used then it's temporary, but in principle it should also be rated for outdoor use (which never came up in the inspections I did). Anyway, I have a lot of powerbars, which are OK for permanent use.
(01-07-2023, 05:39 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 10:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes, 3.5kW kettles are great.

Maybe from it's having the saying "extension cords are for temporary use only" from being on the Joint Health and Safety Committee at the University. Clearly if you are bringing out the BBQ and connecting the extension cord while it's used then it's temporary, but in principle it should also be rated for outdoor use (which never came up in the inspections I did). Anyway, I have a lot of powerbars, which are OK for permanent use.

That's interesting. I definitely use them permanently in both Canada and Europe.

European electrical standards are obviously way different, but one thing that is different is that there are far fewer receptacles in a room. I think the Ontario/Canada code is that receptacles must be located every 6 or so in rooms. But seems no such standard exists in the EU...most of our bedrooms have only 2 receptacles. So extension cords are more or less a must if you want to have flexibility in where you locate furnishings.

As for outdoor rating, lol, it's definitely not outdoor rated, it's explicitly "not for outdoor use". Probably not the right thing to do, but I don't leave it outside, I always bring the electrical components into the shed, and usually the whole BBQ as well. It's one nice thing about it being portable is that it's easy to use and to move around.

I think it's interesting power bars are rated differently, given that many of them might have a 10-12 foot cable on them, which are essentially extension cords.
(01-07-2023, 10:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That's interesting. I definitely use them permanently in both Canada and Europe.

European electrical standards are obviously way different, but one thing that is different is that there are far fewer receptacles in a room. I think the Ontario/Canada code is that receptacles must be located every 6 or so in rooms. But seems no such standard exists in the EU...most of our bedrooms have only 2 receptacles. So extension cords are more or less a must if you want to have flexibility in where you locate furnishings.

As for outdoor rating, lol, it's definitely not outdoor rated, it's explicitly "not for outdoor use". Probably not the right thing to do, but I don't leave it outside, I always bring the electrical components into the shed, and usually the whole BBQ as well. It's one nice thing about it being portable is that it's easy to use and to move around.

I think it's interesting power bars are rated differently, given that many of them might have a 10-12 foot cable on them, which are essentially extension cords.

It's about fire risk I guess. Modern North American houses definitely have more outlets, especially kitchens, per code. Power bars can also have more circuitry to avoid fires, so I think that's why they're viewed more positively.
(01-08-2023, 12:42 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 10:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That's interesting. I definitely use them permanently in both Canada and Europe.

It's about fire risk I guess. Modern North American houses definitely have more outlets, especially kitchens, per code. Power bars can also have more circuitry to avoid fires, so I think that's why they're viewed more positively.

I guess some power bars may have overcurrent protection, but many do not. Perhaps the problem is that extension cords can be used without sufficient overcurrent protection because of low gauge wires.

In any case, extension cords were definitely still needed at my last home especially in my home with switched outlets.

The Kitchen outlets in the Netherlands are interesting. There are quite a few of them, and they are all on separate circuits. But our house has only 7 circuits total. The kitchen ones are all on separate circuits but shared with bedrooms, halls, etc. It seems strange, I would have thought copper wiring would be the expensive part but it seems heavily optimized for reducing the number of circuit breakers.
(01-08-2023, 01:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The Kitchen outlets in the Netherlands are interesting. There are quite a few of them, and they are all on separate circuits. But our house has only 7 circuits total. The kitchen ones are all on separate circuits but shared with bedrooms, halls, etc. It seems strange, I would have thought copper wiring would be the expensive part but it seems heavily optimized for reducing the number of circuit breakers.

Very interesting! Much different code from here.

In Ontario, I believe kitchens are required to have outlets on dedicated circuits every 6' around the counter. Ones near the sink must be GFI protected. Others rooms only require outlets every 12', but placed to avoid the need to run a cord across a doorway. Lots of detailed rules, of course.
(01-08-2023, 05:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 01:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The Kitchen outlets in the Netherlands are interesting. There are quite a few of them, and they are all on separate circuits. But our house has only 7 circuits total. The kitchen ones are all on separate circuits but shared with bedrooms, halls, etc. It seems strange, I would have thought copper wiring would be the expensive part but it seems heavily optimized for reducing the number of circuit breakers.

Very interesting! Much different code from here.

In Ontario, I believe kitchens are required to have outlets on dedicated circuits every 6' around the counter. Ones near the sink must be GFI protected. Others rooms only require outlets every 12', but placed to avoid the need to run a cord across a doorway. Lots of detailed rules, of course.

I think the code for kitchens has changed. It used to be that the outlets were split each box had two 15 amp circuits. Now they seem to do a joint 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptical.

But yeah, the 7 circuits was a huge shock. Especially since that includes high draw appliances like the dryer, oven, dishwasher, and washer (the later two have heating elements to heat the water) all use a standard outlet so there aren’t even any high amp breakers. The service is only 40 amps at 240v with two phases. (Equivalent to 80 amp service here)

Your post caught my eye, and I gotta say, an electric BBQ sounds pretty awesome! It's fantastic to see folks divesting from fossil fuels and embracing eco-friendly alternatives.I checked out the link you shared, and that Napoleon electric BBQ looks slick! The fact that it heats up faster and works like a gas BBQ without the need for propane cylinders is a huge win! Plus, it's travel-size, so it's perfect for a family hangout on the patio or even a balcony cookout.But if anyone's looking for gas stove or grille installation services, I found a handy link: https://fixappliances.ca/gas-stove-installation/. It's always great to have resources at hand.
It's great that you've already taken steps like using an induction hotplate and now an electric BBQ to reduce your reliance on fossil fuels. The Napoleon electric BBQ you mentioned seems like a solid choice, especially for smaller gatherings and for those with limited outdoor space.
The fact that it heats up faster than gas and works similarly in other aspects is a significant advantage. Plus, the convenience of not having to deal with propane cylinders is a definite plus.
I'm also thinking of replacing my old grill, and I'm looking for some eco-friendly options. I also found some promo codes on https://www.firstordercode.com/coupons/rona.ca, and I hope I can save some money.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »