Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
459 Mill St | 15, 21, 31, 40 and 44 fl | Proposed
I'm really hoping this gets approved - looks fantastic and would really liven up this area

The OPA and ZBA were approved for this development unanimously tonight. Miraculously Chapman even voted in favour of it even though she didn't think it was compatible with the surronding low rise. She also was complaining about traffic but at the end of the comments she said that since it is within a MTSA it might as well be built without parking that way there would be less height.

The only thing that will be preventing this from getting started right away is a holding provision that is now applied to the site requiring a noise study for the region and complete site remediation.
Thanks for the update!

I wonder how sales will go for this in the current market. From what Iv seen only Station Park - C has sold enough to start construction out of the next build cycle in Kitchener. Q-condos has been approved for 1.5 years and on sale for over a year with no movement. 88 queen and 24 Charles have been approved for almost a year and haven’t started sales. I wonder when things will pick up.
Here is the link to the council meeting for this project:
Council meeting 459 Mill

it starts at roughly 2 hours and 35 minutes.
(04-24-2023, 08:37 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Thanks for the update!

I wonder how sales will go for this in the current market.  From what Iv seen only Station Park - C has sold enough to start construction out of the next build cycle in Kitchener. Q-condos has been approved for 1.5 years and on sale for over a year with no movement. 88 queen and 24 Charles have been approved for almost a year and haven’t started sales. I wonder when things will pick up.

Based upon what was said throughout the meeting Polocorp is going to do a mix of both rental and condo so they could conceivably get the rental units started and wait for better market conditions for the condo units. I strongly doubt that condo sales will pick up significantly until the current interest rate situation changes so a year or two away would be my guess.
(04-24-2023, 08:25 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: The OPA and ZBA were approved for this development unanimously tonight. Miraculously Chapman even voted in favour of it even though she didn't think it was compatible with the surronding low rise. She also was complaining about traffic but at the end of the comments she said that since it is within a MTSA it might as well be built without parking that way there would be less height.

The only thing that will be preventing this from getting started right away is a holding provision that is now applied to the site requiring a noise study for the region and complete site remediation.

Less height because podium parking assumed (no watertable issues here)?
Why site remediation - the area was farmland before becoming residential?
(04-24-2023, 09:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-24-2023, 08:25 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: The OPA and ZBA were approved for this development unanimously tonight. Miraculously Chapman even voted in favour of it even though she didn't think it was compatible with the surronding low rise. She also was complaining about traffic but at the end of the comments she said that since it is within a MTSA it might as well be built without parking that way there would be less height.

Less height because podium parking assumed (no watertable issues here)?

Chapman was just saying less height because she wanted to appease all of the NIMBYs. Her logic was basically if we get rid of the parking we can spread the residential units throught the podium (only 300 or so parking units in the podium the rest is below ground) so we can have shorter buildings. We can only remove parking because it's next to the ION station, yet a few minutes before she was complaining about traffic so I don't really know what she was trying to say.

Site remediation would presumably be because of Delta Elevators and the other industrial uses of the surronding sites. Reading through the ESA (environmental site assesment) it says the following "The chemical test results for the analysed soil samples identified petroleum hydrocarbon impacts in the native material" so presumable whatever was there at some point has had some chemicals leached into the soil, hence the need to remediate it.

(04-24-2023, 08:37 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Thanks for the update!

I wonder how sales will go for this in the current market.  From what Iv seen only Station Park - C has sold enough to start construction out of the next build cycle in Kitchener. Q-condos has been approved for 1.5 years and on sale for over a year with no movement. 88 queen and 24 Charles have been approved for almost a year and haven’t started sales. I wonder when things will pick up.

88 Queen and 24 charles haven't gone to sales yet. Station park c sold like half the building but with an asterisk, verde sold most, Q condos sold out their first batch and is waiting until stuff picks up more before next round
Article on last nights approval

https://archive.ph/gEzT9
Quote:Construction is planned in phases, with the tallest towers along the LRT line built first.

I assumed the tallest towers would come last, waiting for the market to be ready. This is going to have a lot of density really quick.
(04-24-2023, 09:34 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(04-24-2023, 09:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Less height because podium parking assumed (no watertable issues here)?

Chapman was just saying less height because she wanted to appease all of the NIMBYs. Her logic was basically if we get rid of the parking we can spread the residential units throught the podium (only 300 or so parking units in the podium the rest is below ground) so we can have shorter buildings. We can only remove parking because it's next to the ION station, yet a few minutes before she was complaining about traffic so I don't really know what she was trying to say.

Site remediation would presumably be because of Delta Elevators and the other industrial uses of the surronding sites. Reading through the ESA (environmental site assesment) it says the following "The chemical test results for the analysed soil samples identified petroleum hydrocarbon impacts in the native material" so presumable whatever was there at some point has had some chemicals leached into the soil, hence the need to remediate it.

It's also likely that after 150 years of industrial use in the general area, that pollution migrated from a site that was no where near this particular plot.
What is shocking about this proposal is that Councillor Chapman has reservations about it. Usually she is gung-ho for these types of builds, always thinking how intensification will help limit the spread of the suburbs and helps keep transit, like the Ion, busy. I wonder what she knows? She's been so good a cheerleading this city into the 21st century. This is a real step backwards for her.
Seriously?? Chapman has been pretty anti development in a lot of cases.

(04-30-2023, 01:55 PM)Lens Wrote: Seriously?? Chapman has been pretty anti development in a lot of cases.

I think it was meant to be an attempt at sarcasm.
(04-30-2023, 03:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 01:55 PM)Lens Wrote: Seriously?? Chapman has been pretty anti development in a lot of cases.

I think it was meant to be an attempt at sarcasm.

And a pretty good attempt at that, too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »