Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frederick (197 Frederick St) | 10 fl | proposed
Frederick
197 Frederick St
10 fl condominium building
https://iamfrederick.ca/

Current render:

Original render:

Original article:
https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...gvpiyibgps

That "rendering" makes it look more like a government building than a condo.  I can't see it being saved from demolition, but it would be a shame to lose the house that Rome Transportation is in - it's a beauty that I think is unique in Kitchener, or nearly so.  I could see 10 stories stirring up a bit of neighbourhood controversy, but the step down to six storeys next to the SFHs helps. 

Anybody else feel slightly uneasy when major development proposals are put forward by a "numbered company".  I'll be interested to learn what other projects this developer has under its belt.

It continues to amaze me how the proposals just seem to keep on comin".
(11-05-2019, 07:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote:   I can't see it being saved from demolition, but it would be a shame to lose the house that Rome Transportation is in - it's a beauty that I think is unique in Kitchener, or nearly so.  

The article specifically states they WOULD save that house, and even boost its heritage standing.
I'm not able to really be impartial about this one. My kid goes to Suddaby and I'll admit I hate the idea of a construction zone right next to the school just because of the lack of air conditioning. The kids will find it super cool though.

I wish it was more clear how the Rome building will be incorporated. I love that house.
(11-05-2019, 07:59 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 07:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote:   I can't see it being saved from demolition, but it would be a shame to lose the house that Rome Transportation is in - it's a beauty that I think is unique in Kitchener, or nearly so.  

The article specifically states they WOULD save that house, and even boost its heritage standing.

Oops, I missed that.  A strong "plus" for the proposal, istm.
(11-05-2019, 08:34 PM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:23 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I like it. I live in the neighborhood and welcome more density. It is a desirable place to live in the city. I think it is the perfect location for a mid rise condo building. It's not that far from fredrick station. I personally don't see how the nieghbourhood would be against this project. It's not really in the single family part. I can see maybe the 2 houses across the street being concerned, but the step backs seem reasonable enough and the majority of the shadows would fall on the new police hq across the way.

It'll be other people like me with kids that go to Suddaby that will object. I think this area is perfect for redevelopment and have a soft spot for flatirons buildings, but it's the process of getting to the finished stage I don't love. I'll admit to this purely being personal though. I live in King East and work downtown and I'm getting burnt out with the construction. I don't expect it to stop just for me and I do look forward to the improvements to my neighbourhood.
So I guess you're not against the development you just don't like the idea of potential dump trucks causing delays while dropping your kids off? From the render it seems like there is a large section close to the school that is surface parking which would probably be the staging area. And fredrick street which is 4 lanes at that location would be the only street effected. I will admit they seem pretty naive to think construction start 2020 and finished by 2021.
(11-05-2019, 08:51 PM)Acitta Wrote: When did the Tim Horton's close?
A year or two ago. When the city allowed them to build a drive thru at fredrick st mall

(11-05-2019, 08:55 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:34 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: It'll be other people like me with kids that go to Suddaby that will object. I think this area is perfect for redevelopment and have a soft spot for flatirons buildings, but it's the process of getting to the finished stage I don't love. I'll admit to this purely being personal though. I live in King East and work downtown and I'm getting burnt out with the construction. I don't expect it to stop just for me and I do look forward to the improvements to my neighbourhood.
So I guess you're not against the development you just don't like the idea of potential dump trucks causing delays while dropping your kids off? From the render it seems like there is a large section close to the school that is surface parking which would probably be the staging area. And fredrick street which is 4 lanes at that location would be the only street effected. I will admit they seem pretty naive to think construction start 2020 and finished by 2021.

I come from the other direction when I walk my kid to school, so there really shouldn't be any disruptions that way (although, it may make it a challenge once I have to start taking grt to get to work). My concern is if the school will be able to have it's windows open without it causing noise issues in the class. The second floor of Suddaby gets very warm and in the warmer months it's actually hotter in the school than outside at times. They need to be able to have the windows open. Like I admitted to, personal reason but I wouldn't oppose redevelopment over it. I can also see some residents of Central Frederick not liking the idea of a taller and newer looking building being there as well. Many of them like the older look of the neighbourhood. 

Wasn't there opposition to the building of Tim Horton's and insisting it was built to fit into the neighbourhood? I didn't live in the area then, so I don't know how it ended up looking so much different than every other Tim Horton's in KW. Was that a neighbourhood or city opposition?
I guess that is understandable, for the two or so months of the year that it is hot during school. Although I am sure the noise would be a distraction for a day or two then it would become white noise like most things. No different than having g the windows open at Eastwood right beside the highway. Students probably don't even notice it. 

I believe it was a city requirement, but I am new to the neighborhood and a younger adult so I wouldn't know. From my experience with central fredrick the nieghbourhood is changing into a younger demographic with children. I don't want to paint with a wide brush, but millennials seem to be a little bit more open to change and development. I could be wrong there are Nimbys in every generation.
(11-05-2019, 08:51 PM)Acitta Wrote: When did the Tim Horton's close?

Around May 2019 when the new location opened in front of Frederick mall.
(11-05-2019, 08:02 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I'm not able to really be impartial about this one. My kid goes to Suddaby and I'll admit I hate the idea of a construction zone right next to the school just because of the lack of air conditioning. The kids will find it super cool though.

I wish it was more clear how the Rome building will be incorporated. I love that house.

What's that noise I hear?  My son asking to transfer to Suddaby??

Good infill.  Hard to tell about the finishing though without more details.
Very interesting! That's a curiously shaped assemblage of property, but could produce something great for the area.
The 197 Frederick project seems to be alive again. There is a fairly extensive web site (more so than most condo proposals) at https://fivepoint.ca/ and a sign outside the former Tim Hortons.

No permits yet, and I have not see any proposal to the city for this yet.

Ooof that is some terrible marketing. The new render looks worse as well, from office lookalike to spandrel mess.
(05-21-2022, 05:40 PM)Lens Wrote: Ooof that is some terrible marketing. The new render looks worse as well, from office lookalike to spandrel mess.

Ah yes, a random cafe street is Paris. Very representative of living in this location.

It should be illegal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »