Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
88 Queen St S | 44 fl | Proposed
Making this thread to keep the discussion organized with all these new submissions recently

Application submitted April 25th , 2022 - Proposing a 44 storey mixed residential building with 566 units
Developer : IN8 Developments 
Submitted by IBI group but fairly certain the architect is SRM 

No luck finding renders on this one yet as it won’t be posted on the development map due to the original zoning, and no luck emailing the city either. If anyone can find some please post!

Copying this from General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours thread:

(05-31-2022, 03:24 PM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote: In8's 88 Queen Street - 44 storeys & 567 units 

https://pub-kitchener.escribemeetings.co...entId=3725
It's the usual SRM crap, but there's one thing I extra hate here, the parking access from Queen St. The primary parking access will be from Charles St, but there's a second garage door from Queen St that will serve exactly 11 parking spots. I don't love facadectomies to begin with, but when the storefront is getting replaced by a garage door that's bad. When it's getting replaced by a garage door for 11 parking spots... that's awful. Can't we just have 11 fewer parking spots, and maintain a proper retail facade along Queen St?

Nice find. It really does look a Tek tower 2. Exact same massing and balcony pattern, just a darker (smoke) balcony glass lol. 140m on the dot to the top going by the drawings.

(05-31-2022, 04:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It's the usual SRM crap, but there's one thing I extra hate here, the parking access from Queen St. The primary parking access will be from Charles St, but there's a second garage door from Queen St that will serve exactly 11 parking spots. I don't love facadectomies to begin with, but when the storefront is getting replaced by a garage door that's bad. When it's getting replaced by a garage door for 11 parking spots... that's awful. Can't we just have 11 fewer parking spots, and maintain a proper retail facade along Queen St?

Looks like the Queen Street entrance is for parking levels 1-5 (podium) for a total of 87 spots.
Charles Street is for P1-P3 (underground).
(05-31-2022, 04:19 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 04:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It's the usual SRM crap, but there's one thing I extra hate here, the parking access from Queen St. The primary parking access will be from Charles St, but there's a second garage door from Queen St that will serve exactly 11 parking spots. I don't love facadectomies to begin with, but when the storefront is getting replaced by a garage door that's bad. When it's getting replaced by a garage door for 11 parking spots... that's awful. Can't we just have 11 fewer parking spots, and maintain a proper retail facade along Queen St?

Looks like the Queen Street entrance is for parking levels 1-5 (podium) for a total of 87 spots.

Sure enough, I missed the -5 at the end of "PROPOSED SITE ACCESS TO PARKING LEVEL 1 (QUEEN)-5". That's at least less egregiously bad, but I still think that all the parking access should be from Charles St. Yes, it's a little inconvenient (Charlie West has a weird turning area right after the garage where you choose up/down), but it's much better for the street interaction (not that In8 has ever given a shit about that).
Both this and 26 Charles look like absolute shit but I guess that's what we can expect from the duo behind these projects. Someone I know who works for SRM says they're certainly going to get redesigned by the time construction starts on both projects.

What makes 44 floors the magic number (eg this tower and 26 Charles St W)? For the last batch of towers, 25 floors seemed to generally be the topping out number. After 44 floors, what's the next common height?
(05-31-2022, 04:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Can't we just have 11 fewer parking spots, and maintain a proper retail facade along Queen St?

There isn't any commercial space in this project. It's purely residential with 567 units in total. The existing façade being retained is up to the developer to decide. Whether or not IN8 chooses to will remain to be seen.
(05-31-2022, 05:42 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 04:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Can't we just have 11 fewer parking spots, and maintain a proper retail facade along Queen St?

There isn't any commercial space in this project. It's purely residential with 567 units in total. The existing façade being retained is up to the developer to decide. Whether or not IN8 chooses to will remain to be seen.

Is there not?  What is the “public amenity” I wonder?
I'm usually in favour of maintaining the facade of heritage buildings over losing them entirely, but this is almost insulting.
(05-31-2022, 08:55 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I'm usually in favour of maintaining the facade of heritage buildings over losing them entirely, but this is almost insulting.

How so?
(05-31-2022, 04:19 PM)CP42 Wrote: Looks like the Queen Street entrance is for parking levels 1-5 (podium) for a total of 87 spots.

I do not like. Why can’t they organize it so there is a single entrance to all the parking? Even if it’s two doors right next to each other, one with a ramp up and the other with a ramp down.

I really should look at the plans; it might be obvious why what we’re suggesting is difficult, but having a door on Queen St. really isn’t ideal.

Really getting tired of IN8/SRM giving all the ammunition the density haters need in this city. Considering their pattern of getting worse post render, I shudder to think about how this one could be made to look worse. This and the other are both ugly slabs and I hope the city somehow forces a change around their urban design guidelines, insufficient as they may be.
(05-31-2022, 05:42 PM)ac3r Wrote:

It does say "mixed residential", that does imply some commercial usage, I think.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »