Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to WRConnected!
New Site.  New Name.  Same Great Community.

Welcome to WRConnected!  Or Waterloo Region Connected.  Or WRC.  Whatever you choose to call it, you've come to the new home of Waterloo Region's best community.  

Obviously things look a little different around here.  My goal when I first launced WRC v1.0 was to get the site up and running and get as many people from the old site to the new.  I was even told by one user they felt almost homeless during those few days before finding us here at WRC.  With the site up and running, and the user base growing every day, I turned my sights to my second goal.  To get this place looking like the great community that it is.  That's where the re-design came from.

While things look different, they still function the same.  You'll still get the same great community as you would before.  You'll still have a resource for everything Waterloo Region.  The biggest difference is that you'll have even more content.  More articles, more polls, more contests (yes contests!), more user involvement.  

Welcome to the new Waterloo Region Connected!

Like the site rebranding?  Spread the word.  Click here to send out this ready-made tweet to all of your followers.

Wow! What a shock this morning! Wink

How do I do the equivalent of phpBB's View active topics,  View new posts and/or  View unread posts from the forum index page? 

If I can no longer do that then we've lost what for me is are essential functions. I don't have the time or patience to go sub-forum by sub-forum looking for new/updated stuff. (RSS and thread subscriptions are not viable alternatives.) 

P.S. Incidentally the forum icons and smilies are missing. Probably some config setting is pointing to the wrong directory.

[Added: I see a link on the home page. (Home page? Who knew? Wink)  http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...ion=getnew I'll try that as a bookmark.]
Thanks ookpik.

To view active topics or unread posts you've got a couple options. First, you can just click "What's New" at the top of the screen in the menu bar. Your second option is in the top right hand corner. Click your user name, you'll then see things like "View New Posts", "View Today's Posts" and "View Unread Posts."

This, for me too, is a critical feature.

Is this helpful/what you were looking for?

P.S. I noticed the smilies and icons were missing, it's a relatively quick fix, but one that at 1:30am I decided could wait a few hours hah.
(10-01-2014, 07:10 AM)administrator Wrote:
Quote:Is this helpful/what you were looking for?

Yup. We cross posted. I think the link I posted will also serve as a handy bookmark for people who visit often and want a quick way to find what's new/changed on the forum.

Quote:P.S. I noticed the smilies and icons were missing, it's a relatively quick fix, but one that at 1:30am I decided could wait a few hours hah.

No rush. Just pointing out an obvious bug. Get some rest. You've earned it.
Looks good, Spokes! The default phpBB theme was indeed sort of ugly.

Green on white seems a bit hard to read to me. A bit darker would be easier to read, I think.
(10-01-2014, 08:52 AM)plam Wrote: Looks good, Spokes! The default phpBB theme was indeed sort of ugly.

Green on white seems a bit hard to read to me. A bit darker would be easier to read, I think.

Agree with plam here about the green on white. Though otherwise, I like the theme: it's clean.

One issue I've noticed that I want to point out is that the What's New? feature is showing Front Page announcements (and link only to the front page article stub). This isn't great when it also shows the corresponding real thread later in the list.

Yeah, I know.. complain complain. Good job bringing up this site when we needed it.
Looks great! Thanks for keeping this going!

(10-01-2014, 08:52 AM)plam Wrote: Looks good, Spokes! The default phpBB theme was indeed sort of ugly.

Ya I agree it was ugly.  It was a very short term solution.

Do you mean the green text on the home page?  Looking at it I can see what you mean.  I'll play around and see what looks best.  Black might be the best option.
(10-01-2014, 09:01 AM)zanate Wrote:

Agree with plam here about the green on white. Though otherwise, I like the theme: it's clean.

One issue I've noticed that I want to point out is that the What's New? feature is showing Front Page announcements (and link only to the front page article stub). This isn't great when it also shows the corresponding real thread later in the list.

Yeah, I know.. complain complain. Good job bringing up this site when we needed it.

I see what you mean about the home page content being on the What's New? tab.  For the time being this might have to be something we just deal with.  The alternative is to code in the front page content, whereas right now it takes it from the Front Page Announcements forum.  Doable, but not as easy.

I appreciate the complaints....err....feedback haha.
(10-01-2014, 12:37 AM)administrator Wrote: Welcome to the new Waterloo Region Connected!

Thanks for setting this up.  It's starting to look good. 
Light Green on white background is indeed harder to read (compared to original)
(10-01-2014, 07:04 AM)ookpik Wrote: How do I do the equivalent of phpBB's View active topics,  View new posts and/or  View unread posts from the forum index page? 

To answer my own question, if you mouse over your user name at the top right of each forum page you'll get a bunch of options including View new posts and View unread posts.
(10-01-2014, 11:09 AM)ookpik Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 07:04 AM)ookpik Wrote: How do I do the equivalent of phpBB's View active topics,  View new posts and/or  View unread posts from the forum index page? 

To answer my own question, if you mouse over your user name at the top right of each forum page you'll get a bunch of options including View new posts and View unread posts.

That's what I was trying to say, but I think it was a little unclear.

You fancy now Spokes!

Nice job with the redesign, looks much nicer and I am digging the green colour scheme. Thank you for all the hard work.
Like the new look. Surprised and very pleased to see this site develop. Yes I agree with others thanks for the hard work.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »