Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benton/Church project | 40 fl | Proposed
39 Church, a surface lot at Church and Benton used as parking for St Matthews Church kitty corner from here, has demolition fencing around it today. I couldnt tell if any of the abutting properties on Benton also had demolition fencing or not (69 Benton next door recently sold), but it appeared to be just the parking lot.

Why would demolition fencing be needed for a parking lot? Anyone have any idea what the plan is for here?

[Image: A7VGRbK.png]

I had no idea that parking lot extended that far back.
Demolition fencing would be if they're intending to dig, I would presume.
Is the fencing only in the parking lot? Any neighbouring properties?

It's possible that they'd be doing a soil assessment but I don't think there were any industrial properties at that site.
Walked by today. Fencing is only up around a portion of the parking lot, and no adjacent buildings. The parking lot had been completely dug up to a uniform depth by a backhoe today, and looks as though its going to be repaved, but asphalt plants should be closed by now... not sure what's up.
(12-09-2021, 05:15 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Walked by today. Fencing is only up around a portion of the parking lot, and no adjacent buildings. The parking lot had been completely dug up to a uniform depth by a backhoe today, and looks as though its going to be repaved, but asphalt plants should be closed by now... not sure what's up.

It's less than half the parking lot, and an odd portion at that, repaving doesn't really make sense. A soil contamination assessment makes the most sense to me, but I'm just guessing.
(12-12-2021, 03:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 05:15 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Walked by today. Fencing is only up around a portion of the parking lot, and no adjacent buildings. The parking lot had been completely dug up to a uniform depth by a backhoe today, and looks as though its going to be repaved, but asphalt plants should be closed by now... not sure what's up.

It's less than half the parking lot, and an odd portion at that, repaving doesn't really make sense. A soil contamination assessment makes the most sense to me, but I'm just guessing.

Must be, they dug pretty deep today and were hauling it all away in a dumptruck. What was the last thing on this lot that would make a soil assessment necessary?

(12-13-2021, 04:29 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 03:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's less than half the parking lot, and an odd portion at that, repaving doesn't really make sense. A soil contamination assessment makes the most sense to me, but I'm just guessing.

Must be, they dug pretty deep today and were hauling it all away in a dumptruck. What was the last thing on this lot that would make a soil assessment necessary?

Apparently, there is a plan to build a high-rise building on this site (or so said the excavator operator), so this must be preparatory work for that construction.
(12-15-2021, 10:21 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-13-2021, 04:29 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Must be, they dug pretty deep today and were hauling it all away in a dumptruck. What was the last thing on this lot that would make a soil assessment necessary?

Apparently, there is a plan to build a high-rise building on this site (or so said the excavator operator), so this must be preparatory work for that construction.

Now confirmed to be environmental remediation work in preparation for a high-rise project. Developer and other details remain unknown.

Total property size (including 69 Benton, 73 Benton and 51 Church) is about 0.45 ha (about 1.1 acres).
Does the church own the site?
(12-17-2021, 01:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does the church own the site?

According to the city's OpenGIS data, they own the bulk of the site. Church and Benton Ltd owns one of the three houses, the church one other one, and the third is listed as "private". The people on site believe that the properties have been sold to a developer, but I have no hard evidence for that.
Record price tag for parking lot sold at Charles and Benton by JD Developments - a Markham based Developer

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...llion.html

Edit this is the same dev that did those terrible Rez-One Blair house and fergus house buildings in the Uni district
(12-26-2021, 02:59 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Record price tag for parking lot sold at Charles and Benton by JD Developments - a Markham based Developer

Edit this is the same dev that did those terrible Rez-One Blair house and fergus house buildings in the Uni district

https://www.jddevelopment.ca

Listed as a current project is “Verde Living - condo living in the heart of Kitchener” which appears to be a 7-storey project on Elmsdale and Ottawa.

Other projects include condos in Mississauga and Barrie, and townhomes in Markham and Cambridge.

They also were behind all of the Rez One buildings in Waterloo (one on Regina, King, and four at the corner of University and Phillip). Having said that, they do classify these separately as student buildings.

(12-26-2021, 03:24 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 02:59 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Record price tag for parking lot sold at Charles and Benton by JD Developments - a Markham based Developer

https://www.jddevelopment.ca

Listed as a current project is “Verde Living - condo living in the heart of Kitchener” which appears to be a 7-storey project on Elmsdale and Ottawa.

Other projects include condos in Mississauga and Barrie, and townhomes in Markham and Cambridge.

They also were behind all of the Rez One buildings in Waterloo (one on Regina, King, and four at the corner of University and Phillip). Having said that, they do classify these separately as student buildings.

The parking lot that has been sold is at Church and Benton, not Charles and Benton.
So this is the site kitty corner from St Mathews that was the subject of discussion this past week?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »