Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
20 Ottawa Street North | 26, 6, 6 fl | Proposed
Zehr Group is proposing a mixed use commercial and residential development for 20 Ottawa Street North, currently the location of a used car sales business. Proposed are 3 structures, including a 26 floor tower and two 6 floor buildings. The architectural design is being done by Edge Architects. 464 residential units are proposed, ground floor retail and a total of 307 parking spaces, taking advantage of a reduction in parking minimums to ensure a minimal amount of parking (0.737 per unit). This is facilitated due to it being within 600 meters of Borden Station, thus falling inline with the City of Kitchener PARTS plan.

[Image: 0wOLEAL.png]

Updated information will be provided by the City of Kitchener at a later date, but so far you can find some documents about it here: https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...639833.pdf

Updated sketches of the project:

I do not think high (or medium) density infills should have open surface parking. We can do better than that.

If you're claiming proximity to an LRT to reduce the parking requirement, then you should do better than building a surface parking lot
I agree, but it's likely that the developer didn't want to build any more structure than the 3 buildings on this particular plot of land. Since it's mixed use, some level of surface parking is alright IMO. If it were 100% residential, then a parking garage would make more sense as the rest of the land area could be used for green/amenity space etc. Ultimately, adding another 464 residential units and some commercial space so close to downtown/transit is great during a housing crisis, rather than letting it remain a used car lot. Zehr Group seems to always do good work and Edge Architects has done some of the best work in Waterloo Region, so if approved, this will be great even with a bit of surface parking.
And not too far away is the Vive Development

Large apartment building planned for blighted city block

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...block.html

KITCHENER — One of the most derelict blocks of land along King Street East is up for a massive redevelopment that includes a 30-floor apartment building with 486 units.

Vive Development recently submitted a development application for the nine properties it assembled on the block bounded by King Street East, Ottawa, Charles and Borden.

Plans call for retail units on the ground floor along King Street and live-work units with two floors along Charles. The live-work units will be a few metres from the ION tracks.
It's too bad the Lower Kitchener development by Vive looks so bad, but at least it's some more development in the south end of downtown. Interestingly it appears to have a better looking aerial map of the city when compared to Charlie West.

If anyone from Vive is lurking these forums, I'll work pro bono to redesign that building. I'll even make sure to keep it in the same budget, but it'll look a million times better! :^)
The two projects would be a good start toward defining the new eastern edge of the core.
I'll be curious to see detailed renderings with finishes, but on the surface, minus the parking lots, a good project to help jumpstart that part of town.

Neighbourhood meeting regarding this project will be December 14th FYI.
They're moving pretty quickly, it seems.
(12-05-2021, 10:20 PM)ac3r Wrote: Neighbourhood meeting regarding this project will be December 14th FYI.

Waiting to see what the NIMBY's will come up with.

On the bright side, that building has zero heritage value, though it was the place I bought my 1st "brand new" car. Them was the days, then they went out of business because Obama said they needed to shut down.
You bought your first new car there? Boom! That now clarifies as heritage
(12-12-2021, 07:44 AM)Spokes Wrote: You bought your first new car there?  Boom! That now clarifies as heritage

I recall this was Orr Chevrolet Oldsmobile Cadillac... since maybe sometime in the 1960s, until maybe early 1980s, when it became Stedelbauer? Panamaniac, how is your memory on this one?
Yes, it was originally built as Orr's.  I can't recall whether it replaced an earlier auto dealership on the same site.  I would have said it became Stedelbauers in the late 80s or early 90s, but I can't really recall.  At that time, what is now the Value Village in the neighbouring plaza was a Zehrs.

Zehr Group proposes three-building project with 26-storey condo tower on Ottawa Street in Kitchener
WRC six weeks ahead of The Record.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »