Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UW Innovation Arena
The site has Melloul-Blamey fencing up all around it

Pretty cool to see from above - looks like they’re removing the middle section of the roof for an atrium.
[Image: 5IRJVzQ.jpg]
Nice shot!
Not really completely on-topic, but I wonder what the black strip under the railway tracks is?
(04-11-2023, 04:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Not really completely on-topic, but I wonder what the black strip under the railway tracks is?

Hard to tell from the photo, but I believe they're "anti-trespass" panels.

https://lbfoster.com/en/market-segments/...ass-panels
Yeah I believe that's what those are. I see them in cities all over the world. No idea how effective they are...against animals I can see them having some use but I think a human being has the capacity to maneuver across such a thing without much issue.
(04-12-2023, 12:58 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah I believe that's what those are. I see them in cities all over the world. No idea how effective they are...against animals I can see them having some use but I think a human being has the capacity to maneuver across such a thing without much issue.

Just like bicycle locks ... they deter and discourage trespassing but do not completely prevent it.

Province invests $7.5M in 'state-of-the-art' Innovation Arena for University of Waterloo (CBC KW)

Quote:The province is investing $7.5 million in a new "state-of-the-art" Innovation Arena for the University of Waterloo, which aims to support start-ups that develop life sciences technology.

The new 8,360-square-metre building will be built in an empty warehouse at Charles St. W. and Victoria St. S. and cost a total of $35 million. The City of Kitchener will be funding $8.5 million with the University of Waterloo footing the rest of the cost.

The funding is part of a "life sciences strategy" in Ontario, which is the first of its kind in a decade. Called "Taking Life Sciences to the Next Level" the initiative will "help companies advance made-in-Ontario solutions like vaccines and medical treatments," according to a news release sent out on Thursday.

Adrien Côté, executive director of UW's technology incubator Velocity, said the Innovation Arena is expected to create 135 high-growth start-ups, 730 jobs and 150 new commercialized technologies in the next several years. The space will also be Velocity's new home.
Beams going in now:

[Image: aqn3v1K.jpg]
On the new wall cuts: the side visible here is service and storage corridor so less windows, but the Joseph St. side has a number of larger wall cuts for windows into the work spaces.
Not sure if I've seen this render previously for their updated design of the building front. Hoping that the landscaping improvement is actually done, though the Victoria St. fronting parking lot remains a missed chance to activate the streetscape here.

[Image: FKZA44P32NBDNCP3AYONASXLI4.jpg]
This project has a new roof and the front of the building has been opened up as of today:

[Image: 7vWrZJz.jpg][Image: bbKt50q.jpg]
A shame that the saw-tooth roof didn't make the cut.

Yeah...would have been nice for letting natural light into the building, which creates a much nicer environment for people.
(08-02-2023, 11:04 AM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah...would have been nice for letting natural light into the building, which creates a much nicer environment for people.

I had many a lecture in RCH in my university days... UW doesn't believe in natural light!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »