Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
(03-26-2023, 08:28 PM)nms Wrote: [align=left]Based on the going rate to develop affordable housing units, $2 million wasn't going to go far anyways (and might only represent the gross sale price of 2-3 units sold in this development).  I would be more upset if the original proposal had promised 200 affordable housing units on site (out of the proposed 1,124) and that number was going to be reduced.  

$2 million doesn't got far at all, but it's a lot better than $0.

As for putting 200 (about 18%) into a project like this, that would never happen. I think something like that would diminish the other units value.

However, adding 1,124 units to the market, should have a bit of an impact on overall housing cost in this region. It just won't be a huge amount.

(03-24-2023, 08:17 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Everyone expects Debbie to vote no; she's a proud defender of abandoned corner stores and heritage parking lots. This one was weird because even Mayor Berry voted no. Was the whole charade just for the sake of getting re-elected? Shame!!!

These politicians can now say they opposed it to pander to the voters, and the OLT is the "bad guys"
(03-27-2023, 03:22 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 08:17 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Everyone expects Debbie to vote no; she's a proud defender of abandoned corner stores and heritage parking lots. This one was weird because even Mayor Berry voted no. Was the whole charade just for the sake of getting re-elected? Shame!!!

These politicians can now say they opposed it to pander to the voters, and the OLT is the "bad guys"

Chapman's comment that "she's not afraid of the OLT and is, instead, hopeful that a better proposal would come from such a process." always bothered me though. Given other comments she's had about the OLT, I don't think she honestly believed her own words, so I'm not sure why she made that claim at all. https://twitter.com/m2bowman/status/1539202290430758912
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »