Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking roofs off malls
Hi ijmorlan! G&M talks about malls specifically not including roofs...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business...l-anymore/

I guess a question is whether you want to be inside or outside. I mean I don't particularly want to get rained on, and yet. But things like "Toronto Premium Outlets" just seem awful. Maybe if people lived there too.

Thanks for thinking of me! Interesting article. I will say I like the idea of having more activities integrated — the idea of being able to step out of a store and take a break in a park right there is very attractive. I still say that I consider this sort of amenity mostly orthogonal to whether or not there is a roof there, especially if we specify that there might not be walls (porticos/arcades, rather than fully enclosed corridors).

And regardless of how it ends up looking, if they are now actually thinking about pedestrian access more that will be a distinct improvement. There are lots of existing malls which are unpleasant to approach on foot, which of course even the vehicle drivers have to do once they have parked.
(10-13-2021, 02:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Thanks for thinking of me! Interesting article. I will say I like the idea of having more activities integrated — the idea of being able to step out of a store and take a break in a park right there is very attractive. I still say that I consider this sort of amenity mostly orthogonal to whether or not there is a roof there, especially if we specify that there might not be walls (porticos/arcades, rather than fully enclosed corridors).

And regardless of how it ends up looking, if they are now actually thinking about pedestrian access more that will be a distinct improvement. There are lots of existing malls which are unpleasant to approach on foot, which of course even the vehicle drivers have to do once they have parked.

Since I'm feeling anti-establishment today I'll point out also that a big difference between malls and parks is ownership. Malls exist for the exclusive benefit of private property owners, who may choose to open the space to (elements of) the public for their own benefit. Parks exist exclusively to benefit the public.

This is of course all in theory, and in practice there is some blurring. But I think it's an important feature, because in some ways, it probably matters more than whether there is a roof (see for example, the equivalent example of skyways vs. sidewalks).
(10-13-2021, 04:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Since I'm feeling anti-establishment today I'll point out also that a big difference between malls and parks is ownership. Malls exist for the exclusive benefit of private property owners, who may choose to open the space to (elements of) the public for their own benefit. Parks exist exclusively to benefit the public.

This is of course all in theory, and in practice there is some blurring. But I think it's an important feature, because in some ways, it probably matters more than whether there is a roof (see for example, the equivalent example of skyways vs. sidewalks).

Malls could be condominiums, or even city-owned. And a commercial streetfront could have porticos built in to all the buildings. So ownership etc. is really just another orthogonal concern.
(10-13-2021, 04:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Since I'm feeling anti-establishment today I'll point out also that a big difference between malls and parks is ownership. Malls exist for the exclusive benefit of private property owners, who may choose to open the space to (elements of) the public for their own benefit. Parks exist exclusively to benefit the public.

That is an important point. You don't actually have free speech rights in a mall, and we should be concerned about a lack of places where we can express our free speech rights.
(10-17-2021, 06:44 AM)plam Wrote:

That is an important point. You don't actually have free speech rights in a mall, and we should be concerned about a lack of places where we can express our free speech rights.

Indeed, Kitchener should have something like a Speaker's Corner ...
Our Speaker's Corner only ever has a crazy religious person and people nodding out on various opiates in the bushes by The Benton Building. I hate being around there.

(10-17-2021, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 06:44 AM)plam Wrote: That is an important point. You don't actually have free speech rights in a mall, and we should be concerned about a lack of places where we can express our free speech rights.

Indeed, Kitchener should have something like a Speaker's Corner ...

Don't we have a speakers corner at King and Frederick?
(10-17-2021, 01:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Indeed, Kitchener should have something like a Speaker's Corner ...

Don't we have a speakers corner at King and Frederick?

I'd be slightly surprised if panamaniac didn't actually know about it...

I think it's more that there needs to be a way for groups to make their voices heard, not individuals. It's hard to do anything as an individual.
(10-17-2021, 03:04 PM)plam Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 01:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Don't we have a speakers corner at King and Frederick?

I'd be slightly surprised if panamaniac didn't actually know about it...

I think it's more that there needs to be a way for groups to make their voices heard, not individuals. It's hard to do anything as an individual.

I've seen the anti-vaccine horde at Speakers' Corner.
(10-18-2021, 04:41 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 03:04 PM)plam Wrote: I'd be slightly surprised if panamaniac didn't actually know about it...

I've seen the anti-vaccine horde at Speakers' Corner.

Sigh. Yes. Free speech is important. Misinformation is not great.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »