Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 federal election
I will say this... you can hate a party, you can not align with a parties ideology, however, we should all take a moment to thank the people that take the time and run for office. In todays day and age, running for government doesn't provide much sense of pride and well being anymore. Candidates are quickly shot down and spoken horribly by people based on social media. Most of us voters never really get to know a candidate anymore but we are quick to label them. I just want to personally say thank you to everyone who participated in the election in an effort to maintain and carry forward democracy. I am married to someone who lived a major part of her life under communism and she reminds me all the time how good we have it in Canada.
Thank you everyone...

Agreed. I would not want to do it, full respect to those that do run for public office, whether I agree with their ideology or not.

Locally, am happy to see Mike Morrice elected, he seems like a great guy, even if his party will have limited impact in Ottawa. Liberals seem to have otherwise held on to all their seats in the region, although it's yet another super-close election in Kitchener-Conestoga and the fat lady has yet to sing.
It's a bit of a mystery to me that Erin O'Toole didn't campaign locally considering how close so many races ended up being. Surely he could have pursued a few Liberal and PPC voters to swing to the CPC and pick up a few seats in the region if he had only tried. Would unmuzzling local candidates have resulted in an even worse showing for them?
(09-21-2021, 11:57 AM)jamincan Wrote: It's a bit of a mystery to me that Erin O'Toole didn't campaign locally considering how close so many races ended up being. Surely he could have pursued a few Liberal and PPC voters to swing to the CPC and pick up a few seats in the region if he had only tried. Would unmuzzling local candidates have resulted in an even worse showing for them?

This is what I want to know, why do they think this is worse for them. It is concerning that they think so.

As for campaigning, yeah, in hindsight that's the case, but I imagine he was visiting the ridings where he also thought he had a chance to turn a seat.

Also possible, they simply aren't very good at this politics thing. Which frankly, I do find very believable.
(09-21-2021, 12:55 PM)jeffster Wrote: What I do find remarkable is how close everything was to the last election, and I can't recall seeing number remain so stable.

I think the past 18 months feels for a lot of people like the world has been paused, just lots of staying home and waiting for this to all be over. I think that's probably a decent part of why the result is so similar, there things that make us change our views haven't been happening as much.
(09-21-2021, 11:57 AM)jamincan Wrote: It's a bit of a mystery to me that Erin O'Toole didn't campaign locally considering how close so many races ended up being. Surely he could have pursued a few Liberal and PPC voters to swing to the CPC and pick up a few seats in the region if he had only tried. Would unmuzzling local candidates have resulted in an even worse showing for them?

He did come to Kitchener on Saturday.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ience.html

Unsure if leaders would spend more than a few hours in each city outside the largest cities.

Huh, that totally passed under my radar.
(09-21-2021, 10:05 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Agreed. I would not want to do it, full respect to those that do run for public office, whether I agree with their ideology or not.

Locally, am happy to see Mike Morrice elected, he seems like a great guy, even if his party will have limited impact in Ottawa. Liberals seem to have otherwise held on to all their seats in the region, although it's yet another super-close election in Kitchener-Conestoga and the fat lady has yet to sing.

Morrice won on his own merit rather than party (and leader) popularity.

Personally, I would never get involved in politics. While I might have some good ideas, I am sure I have some really crappy ideas as well. Implementation is another thing. Dealing with the party is another issue. Dealing with your constituents is another story. Though my MPP is Laura Mae Lindo and I gotta say she's fantastic. I also have dealt with Raj Saini and this was a positive experience as well.

Others were not so great, Woodworth and Redman come to mind.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »