Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short term pay as you go cellular data service
Hello All,

Thought I'd ask here (I don't really want to post on social media generally for security reasons), does anyone know if short term (i.e., days or weeks or one month) pay as you go services are still available anywhere for data services? I am on Freedom mobile and will be traveling in Quebec where they have no service. I can roam, but no surprise it's excessively expensive, so I am considering just getting a short term pay as you go SIM card as we do when we travel internationally, but I can't seem to find that anymore.

Thanks,
-Daniel

Nope, Canada sucks! Since there are really no true MVNO services up here, we don't have any flexibility. You could perhaps try to see about getting a short term US eSIM (if your phone supports it) that allows for roaming into Canada but is actually a foreign network providing the service.
Do you have no "Nationwide" coverage? Is it something Freedom would allow you to add temporarily?

Coke
I am with Freedom and they do have a nationwide add on

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/add-ons

Freedom Nationwide Data Pass
Add fast, LTE data to use on Freedom Nationwide. Data passes valid for up to 30 days.
Available passes:
  • 1GB Freedom Nationwide Data Pass ($15/30 days)
  • 2GB Freedom Nationwide Data Pass ($30/30 days)
  • 3GB Freedom Nationwide Data Pass ($45/30 days)
Before I got a dual sim phone (Freedom/Rogers work sim), I did buy it one for a trip out east and it worked.
(08-11-2021, 12:44 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I am with Freedom and they do have a nationwide add on

Add fast, LTE data to use on Freedom Nationwide. Data passes valid for up to 30 days.
Available passes:
Before I got a dual sim phone (Freedom/Rogers work sim), I did buy it one for a trip out east and it worked.

Yeah, I've thought about options and they kind of suck in Canada. Sometimes I got sort of large bills in Quebec and I went there relatively often. The data pass is one of them and seems expensive but is kind of as expensive as other options. At some point there may have been an option to halve domestic roaming rates but it doesn't seem to exist right now.
(08-11-2021, 06:11 PM)plam Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 12:44 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I am with Freedom and they do have a nationwide add on

Available passes:

Yeah, I've thought about options and they kind of suck in Canada. Sometimes I got sort of large bills in Quebec and I went there relatively often. The data pass is one of them and seems expensive but is kind of as expensive as other options. At some point there may have been an option to halve domestic roaming rates but it doesn't seem to exist right now.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, the "nationwide pass" is a little pricey, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than roaming. Looks like it might be my best option. Thanks! I didn't even think of looking a that, I've always had good luck with a short term pay-as-you-go option when traveling elsewhere.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »