Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moda (310-316 Erb St W) | 6 fl | U/C
Very decent project. Too bad it is not closer to Uptown... we need more projects like these in and around the downtowns.

The City of Waterloo seems to have an aversion to any form of density directly uptown so it's unsurprising that there has been little built there. Or maybe it's just NIMBYs. Either way - when compared to downtown Kitchener - uptown Waterloo still feels like a small town downtown. There have been many large projects proposed in the past but almost all of them have stalled, with the exception of Barrelyards, Bauer, Circa1877 and 144/Caroline. The only project that seems to be gaining some traction is Strata, though it technically has yet to be approved as well. And in fact...it's not just uptown that seems to be stalled. Waterloo has had huge projects proposed and yet they have yet to go anywhere despite being proposed years ago.

I think in 20-30 years, we'll find the main urban core in the region is downtown Kitchener, with perhaps some more stuff going on in downtown Cambridge (Galt, specifically), especially once they get their LRT line.
But wasn't the LRT supposed to inspire development near the stations?

It would be interesting to know a) who owns larger parcels of Uptown land and b) what the actual reasons that large projects don't seem to proceed.  I could understand if large projects were pitched and then dumped, but I can only think of a handful where something was proposed only to disappear (eg the lot next to Alexandra School, the one at Regina and Willis Way).  Perhaps developers are interested in easier targets  properties for a quicker development turnaround? Or is it that there are a not large lots like Station Park available in Uptown?
(03-04-2022, 09:13 PM)Oac3r Wrote: ...

I think in 20-30 years, we'll find the main urban core in the region is downtown Kitchener ...
In 20-30 years as it is now and always has been.
(03-04-2022, 09:56 PM)nms Wrote: But wasn't the LRT supposed to inspire development near the stations?

It would be interesting to know a) who owns larger parcels of Uptown land and b) what the actual reasons that large projects don't seem to proceed.  I could understand if large projects were pitched and then dumped, but I can only think of a handful where something was proposed only to disappear (eg the lot next to Alexandra School, the one at Regina and Willis Way).  Perhaps developers are interested in easier targets  properties for a quicker development turnaround? Or is it that there are a not large lots like Station Park available in Uptown?

I do believe that Auburn still owns the Alexandra property, but it's behind their bigger projects (Barrel Yards and Metz) in priority.

Other proposed projects ... the only thing they have in common is that they are in central Waterloo. Is it the city or the neighbourhoods?
(03-05-2022, 05:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I do believe that Auburn still owns the Alexandra property, but it's behind their bigger projects (Barrel Yards and Metz) in priority.

Other proposed projects ... the only thing they have in common is that they are in central Waterloo. Is it the city or the neighbourhoods?

I have heard that Waterloo City staff are overwhelmed with building and site plan approvals.  There could be a backlog that is preventing things from progressing as fast as in other jurisdictions.  I don't know whether Kitchener happens to have a better system or just more staff.

I would buy the "neighbourhoods" argument if there were a lot of opposition and projects were shelved after the fact.  From what I can recall in Waterloo in recent years, very few projects have been recently shelved due to widespread neighbourhood input.  There are quite a few properties in Northdale and along Erb St that are boarded up but there has been no further progress for quite some time.
Somehow projects in the university area do manage to proceed. Does the city prioritize those over more central projects?

Moda Brochure

Moda Floorplans

Moda Features and Finishes
(04-06-2022, 04:52 PM)CP42 Wrote: Moda Brochure

Moda Floorplans

Moda Features and Finishes

I'm indifferent to the building, but that's a lovely brochure!

Looks like it was put together by Him & Her, the same local design firm that did the branding for Station Park. Those folks have style.
The loft units are pretty neat, but I assume they’re going to cost a pretty penny.
(04-07-2022, 08:30 AM)CP42 Wrote: The loft units are pretty neat, but I assume they’re going to cost a pretty penny.

I don't see why they should be particularly expensive. Constructing the loft is not expensive, and the first floor would have already have had high ceilings for the common elements.

I think it's a clever way to make a highly-usable 600 sqft unit without needing more space in the building.
I can see the novelty factor of having a loft being enough to raise the prices. It's unique, so people will pay more for it.
[Image: 7m7pSg5.jpg]

Much more reasonable than TEK...
It should be less expensive, though, given that it's quite far from the city centre -- not easily walkable.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »