Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(03-09-2023, 12:10 AM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah...what kind of building even has a concierge these days? You'd have to be a global city for that, like New York City or Shanghai. Now assuming the actual proposal and architectural plans implied a concierge, it's no surprise there isn't one.

I think you guys put a bit too much faith in 3D renderings. Half the time they're rendered right in the CAD program or plugin like Rhonocerous 3D thus they look like trash (which usually results in people saying the building is going to look like shit, unless you know how to look past that), the other time they just hire a 3D renderer to make some renderings based on the info they give them. Rarely is a developer overlooking them and pointing out little things, especially in 2023 and during a recession. We'll getting into the point of human evolution you're going to start seeing AR, holographic or and robotic concierge's more than you are someone actually sitting there. It'd be a waste of money and a person. You basically just need a proximity card to get into the building and some sort of security to permit visitors these days and that's really all you should spend the money on. No human life is worth forcing into being a concierge now...that'd be like expecting people still employed to stand around opening doors and operating elevators like it's 1885 again.

Yes 9th floor sire...going to visit me mistress again heh. I mean think about it, what would a concierge in a forgettable condo project in a midsized city of Ontario actually be doing? Leeching free wifi and looking at the clock lol.

Station Park and Charlie West both have them.
Although the concierge at station park is really just third-party security company employees who just sit on their phones… aside from the full-time guy who’s there during the days and actually cares about his job.

(03-09-2023, 12:39 AM)jordan2423 Wrote: I think you’re minimizing the human connection you tend to create with a concierge person. Sometimes people actually talk to them and ask them about their day and have a conversation with them. The concierge gets to know those living in the building. It’s nice to have another human say hello and smile at you. I don’t think human evolution has anything to do with AR. Evolution takes millions of years. Technology is God like to our primate brains, hence the vast amounts of smart phone addictions because are brains are still wired the same as our past ancestrial selves. 

What you’ve described regarding AR, robots, holographics, etc., sounds so depressing… it’s honestly sad.

Human connection, but is this person actually providing a service besides human connection? Should their job just be to sit there to be someone to say hi to? I mean, we're a society where there isn't enough human connection, but maybe paying people just to do that is not ideal?

If they were running a small convenience store or something, that is a service that they could provide that would be useful. One could automate that but maybe one shouldn't.
I just moved into this building and I’m shocked at how bad it looks on the inside. Complete construction zone still. So many mistakes in the unit as well. And lobby looks COMPLETELY different to what they rendered. Which I had no idea was basically just an art project. Now I’m concerned on how the supposed gym/amenities will look like. If they ever finish them.
That's unfortunate to hear. At least the unit deficiencies should be addressed, those are usually not a problem. But making the lobby look as nice as advertised ... that would be an uphill battle. Sad
It sounds no different than buying a new build suburban home from one of the local builders. There’s no pride in craftsmanship anymore.
Profit and greed over all unfortunately.
(04-08-2023, 04:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That's unfortunate to hear. At least the unit deficiencies should be addressed, those are usually not a problem. But making the lobby look as nice as advertised ... that would be an uphill battle. Sad

Yeah, I have no faith in them. Builders are awful. PDI inspector from Toronto said it was one of the worst built condos he’s seen. Makes me regret my choice but what can you do. I have a feeling the rest of the amenities will be crap as well :/

(04-08-2023, 05:42 PM)concernedowner Wrote:
(04-08-2023, 04:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That's unfortunate to hear. At least the unit deficiencies should be addressed, those are usually not a problem. But making the lobby look as nice as advertised ... that would be an uphill battle. Sad

Yeah, I have no faith in them. Builders are awful. PDI inspector from Toronto said it was one of the worst built condos he’s seen. Makes me regret my choice but what can you do. I have a feeling the rest of the amenities will be crap as well :/

I’m sorry to hear about this. I can’t imagine how frustrating that would be. I’m just curious, what specifically did you notice that indicates the poor build quality?
Heh. Lesson learned. Never, ever, ever, ever buy a home in the pre-construction phase. Or even if it's newly opened. With a few exceptions you should always let it marinate for a while - a year, minimum - before you buy. These things are just vertical suburbs that they slap the word "luxury" on and trick new buyers. In other words, they're usually complete trash. Even actual luxury buildings tend to suffer from problems. Many of the supertall skyscrapers on Billionaires Row in New York City have issues and those things make our condos look like slums.

And don't buy based on renders. Those aren't meant to show you how a building is actually going to look, you guys realize that, right? Lol all too often I read on this forum that "it looks nothing like the renders wtf?" You want to look at actual architectural drawings as well as obtain a materials list, then do your own due diligence. A render is just a visualization used to show an approximation of what something will likely look like - by plugging architectural files into 3D rendering software and pressing some buttons. They're not really intended to show you a completely realistic concept visualization. They're not even really meant as marketing tools but rather visualizations to show the developers, although they obviously get used in marketing as well.
(04-08-2023, 11:58 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(04-08-2023, 05:42 PM)concernedowner Wrote: Yeah, I have no faith in them. Builders are awful. PDI inspector from Toronto said it was one of the worst built condos he’s seen. Makes me regret my choice but what can you do. I have a feeling the rest of the amenities will be crap as well :/

I’m sorry to hear about this. I can’t imagine how frustrating that would be. I’m just curious, what specifically did you notice that indicates the poor build quality?

Materials used are extremely cheap. My floor is already chipping everywhere. How is that possible? 

(04-09-2023, 06:25 AM)ac3r Wrote: Heh. Lesson learned. Never, ever, ever, ever buy a home in the pre-construction phase. Or even if it's newly opened. With a few exceptions you should always let it marinate for a while - a year, minimum - before you buy. These things are just vertical suburbs that they slap the word "luxury" on and trick new buyers. In other words, they're usually complete trash. Even actual luxury buildings tend to suffer from problems. Many of the supertall skyscrapers on Billionaires Row in New York City have issues and those things make our condos look like slums.

And don't buy based on renders. Those aren't meant to show you how a building is actually going to look, you guys realize that, right? Lol all too often I read on this forum that "it looks nothing like the renders wtf?" You want to look at actual architectural drawings as well as obtain a materials list, then do your own due diligence. A render is just a visualization used to show an approximation of what something will likely look like - by plugging architectural files into 3D rendering software and pressing some buttons. They're not really intended to show you a completely realistic concept visualization. They're not even really meant as marketing tools but rather visualizations to show the developers, although they obviously get used in marketing as well.

I had no idea about that until I started reading this forum a year ago. And then I saw someone saying I hope station park looks like the renders and I googled 😂 so yes, lesson learned. I also had no idea how ridiculous the closing costs would be. I wish my realtor had explained everything better but oh well.
(04-09-2023, 01:05 PM)concernedowner Wrote: Materials used are extremely cheap. My floor is already chipping everywhere. How is that possible? 

I had no idea about that until I started reading this forum a year ago. And then I saw someone saying I hope station park looks like the renders and I googled 😂 so yes, lesson learned. I also had no idea how ridiculous the closing costs would be. I wish my realtor had explained everything better but oh well.

Engineered hardwood (is that your flooring?) should not chip so easily as long as they took reasonable care to protect it during construction. If it's really bad you should be able to get them to replace it. Or are they disputing the problems?

What kind of closing costs are they charging?
(04-09-2023, 01:05 PM)concernedowner Wrote: Materials used are extremely cheap. My floor is already chipping everywhere. How is that possible? 

---snip---

I would imagine anything done incorrectly would be covered under warranty inside the home. That should include chipped floors. You may need to contact Tarion to have this fulfilled correctly.

https://www.tarion.com/homeowners/the-new-home-warranty

As for closing costs are: there are several things in this world that don't exist, and they include, but not limited to the following; unicorns, Santa Claus, honest politicians, quality food from McDonald's, and -- you guessed it, honest real-estate agents. They only in it for themselves.
I popped over to take a quick look at the lobby. Not horrible but not anything special, either. What did it look like in the renders?

(03-08-2023, 02:33 PM)CP42 Wrote: Another rough render vs reality:
(Although maybe it’s still being worked on)
[Image: xIakXDa.jpg][Image: 9TV9xW5.jpg]

(04-12-2023, 02:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I popped over to take a quick look at the lobby. Not horrible but not anything special, either. What did it look like in the renders?
Ahh yes ... indeed not matching the reality! Sad Some furniture will help but the finishes are unlikely to be at par with the render,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »