Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(01-08-2022, 11:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That's going to be very ... grey.

That'll be the trend for probably 10-15 years. The 80s were salmon/teal/brown, 90s were fairly white with bright colours, early 2000s were very blue and beige (think CityPlace in Toronto) and from about 2015 onward everything became grey/black/white.

Taken from the 10 Duke st back parking lot 

[attachment=8109]
Windows and balconies are mostly in on the King St part. The ground floor retail units are still open though. While I think the King St portion is ideal in terms of height and proportion, it's currently feeling somewhat monolithic and bland. Hoping the finishes on the ground floor will brighten it up a bit.
(01-08-2022, 11:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That's going to be very ... grey.

Looks to match City Hall - not sure if they intended to do that Smile
[Image: y8fnzIb.jpg][Image: HN2c63n.jpg][Image: uJQy8z1.jpg][Image: bNrb2qL.jpg]
[attachment=8199]
I think the tower is turning out nicely. I am still a little disappointed in the King street Podium. It is a cheepened down version of the render, but it should provide some unique retail space along king.

I like the fact the King facade has no real setback. It makes the buildings presence really known.
(04-05-2022, 12:22 PM)ac3r Wrote: I like the fact the King facade has no real setback. It makes the buildings presence really known.

Yes. It's not an extravagant design, but it works really well as part of the street wall, I think.
(04-05-2022, 12:22 PM)ac3r Wrote: I like the fact the King facade has no real setback. It makes the buildings presence really known.

Yes!!  This.
[Image: zdVi3Ov.jpg]
(04-21-2022, 02:29 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: [Image: zdVi3Ov.jpg]
I'm sure they'll be blocked someday but it's weird that they didn't include balconies on that side, the views would have been great into Victoria Park
Interesting how of the recent crop of towers to have gone up, the towers I had the lowest expectations for based on the renders, turned out the best (this plus union towers)

Yeah I think the renders didn't do this project good at inspiring people's opinions. It's not like it's a significantly great architectural design or anything and it's fairly generic, but it's not so ugly that it's bad to see compared to other projects.

It's clean, has a good colour palette, has a good podium and facade that has no real setback, doesn't feel/look like it used cheap materials and offers a lot of space for residents. The only thing I don't like is the rectangular tower because I feel like those have a bad visual presence when people look up at the sky. I prefer when a developer uses a more square or tapered design and compensates floor space by just adding more floors, but it is what it is. It's an okay building.
Those podium units and balconies right above the street are so much more in tune with the setting than a lot of other podia going up around town. More of that, please. They look a little better with the glass railings in now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »