Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
I have to admit, I am a little disappointed on how this podium is turning out so far. The change from floor to ceiling second floor windows with the textured grating behind it makes the brick wall feel bulky and dated. Another issue is they just installed an angled brick wall instead of an angled section with a small section flush with the face of the horizontals. This would have provided better definition in my opinion.   I will reserve my full judgement for when they finish cladding. On a positive note for ac3r, at least they are using real brick.  Tongue

(08-31-2021, 10:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Angled sections? The ones next to the 2F windows?

Yeah on the upper floors. I think it's lazy design but I'm just nitpicking. When I design buildings I either like to use very modernist principles - think Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and the German Bauhaus school of thought - or go more radical like the late Zaha Hadid. I guess this is just a condo in a mid sized city, though, so it's not going to look amazing. I do like the bulk of the building in terms of its scale though. It's really changing King Street.
(09-01-2021, 09:37 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 10:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Angled sections? The ones next to the 2F windows?

Yeah on the upper floors. I think it's lazy design but I'm just nitpicking. When I design buildings I either like to use very modernist principles - think Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and the German Bauhaus school of thought - or go more radical like the late Zaha Hadid. I guess this is just a condo in a mid sized city, though, so it's not going to look amazing. I do like the bulk of the building in terms of its scale though. It's really changing King Street.

Feels like it could have looked better if the surfaces were some other texture or material than just more brick.
From today 

[attachment=8000]

[attachment=8001]
4 more floors to go
Yes! I'm done with the chunky rectangular massing. We have so much of it here.
(10-19-2021, 06:48 AM)Spokes Wrote: Yes!  I'm done with the chunky rectangular massing. We have so much of it here.
Rectangular massing looks great on the skinny side. I love seeing dtk from hwy 8 driving into town. I wish we just had more thin buildings in general, I think they look better than hulking masses.

Agreed. Everytime I drive out of my subdivision (Fischerhallman and Victoria intersection) I have the perfect view looking down Victoria, Charlie W, DTK (the wide side) and now Young condos making its presence. When I moved in two years ago I watched these things rise almost daily, really cool! Now I just need Q condos to rise to make it even better. 30 Francis will be out of the view but will look massive driving down Victoria st towards downtown (I think it’s a bit skinnier then DTK although still a rectangle)
Yeah 30 Francis will be rectangular, but still very tiny (half a city block). I just hope it won't look awful when it's completed...SRM designed it and we've all seen how bad they are. The entire tower is the exact same thing, floor after floor and the desired materials are not really that nice (aluminum, glass with vinyl etc).
The cladding on the Duke side is not white as advertised

[img=20x20][Image: SkUwwzp.jpg][/img]
I don't know, chip board has a certain appeal...  Tongue
Posted on UrbanToronto:
[Image: img_7779-jpg.367349][Image: img_7777-jpg.367351]
This topped off a bit ago. Cladding looks.... Interesting.

[Image: QaQiszT.jpg]

[Image: IeiIiu4.jpg]

That's going to be very ... grey.
Not sure if it’s just the lighting, but are those windows mirrored? Looks similar to Circa in Waterloo.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »