Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
Today

Hey guys just to clarify, this current build is 6 story (facing King) and 25 story to the rear side? Where’s the entrance for this, Duke st?

Is the 17 stories the initial phase that’s already complete beside it to the North?

Having a hard time wrapping my head around this gigantic podium as it currently stands
Look at https://youngcondos.ca/wp-content/upload...ay_new.jpg

That render is from the perspective of hovering above the City Hall ION station. The existing building is to the right, just out of frame (you can see its existing loading bay as the driveway to the parking garage). The 25 (now 26) floor building is the tower, and the 6 floor building is at the lower right of the render. The 6 floor building is facing King St, and you're looking at the back of it in the render.
(05-31-2021, 09:09 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Hey guys just to clarify, this current build is 6 story (facing King) and 25 story to the rear side? Where’s the entrance for this, Duke st?

Is the 17 stories the initial phase that’s already complete beside it to the North?

Having a hard time wrapping my head around this gigantic podium as it currently stands

The 6 floor section will be what faces King, where the taller tower will parallel Young/Ontario (essentially where the two parking lots used to be). The old Forsyth Factory façade will face Duke Street.

[Image: s5xNvUy.jpg]
There's a lot about this project that I didn't love, but that King St frontage certainly helps!!
I hate the massing of the tower, but the King Street section looks great. It feels like it has the potential to really activate the street with both ground level retail and balconies overlooking the sidewalks below.
Yeah, I really love those balconies!

Reminds me of the architectural theorist Christopher Alexander, when he argued how anything above about 4 floors tends to be detrimental. While I love the "canvas" tall buildings provide to architects, very few people actually want to live in them since they're so inhuman! Low-mid rise buildings with well made rapid transit (hey tunnels) generally result in a better city for everyone: http://iwritewordsgood.com/apl/patterns/apl021.htm

Might be fun to live 20, 30, 40+ floors up for a few days but that novelty would wear off super fast. What's there to experience? High winds and the scenes of HVAC units blowing out steam around you. Nice...
(06-01-2021, 07:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: Reminds me of the architectural theorist Christopher Alexander, when he argued how anything above about 4 floors tends to be detrimental. While I love the "canvas" tall buildings provide to architects, very few people actually want to live in them since they're so inhuman! Low-mid rise buildings with well made rapid transit (hey tunnels) generally result in a better city for everyone: http://iwritewordsgood.com/apl/patterns/apl021.htm

Might be fun to live 20, 30, 40+ floors up for a few days but that novelty would wear off super fast. What's there to experience? High winds and the scenes of HVAC units blowing out steam around you. Nice...

When you start hitting 40 floors, depending on the structure, you might start to experience sway when there are high winds. This happens a handful of times a year. No need for a Canada's Wonderland pass!
(06-01-2021, 09:44 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-01-2021, 07:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: Reminds me of the architectural theorist Christopher Alexander, when he argued how anything above about 4 floors tends to be detrimental. While I love the "canvas" tall buildings provide to architects, very few people actually want to live in them since they're so inhuman! Low-mid rise buildings with well made rapid transit (hey tunnels) generally result in a better city for everyone: http://iwritewordsgood.com/apl/patterns/apl021.htm

When you start hitting 40 floors, depending on the structure, you might start to experience sway when there are high winds. This happens a handful of times a year. No need for a Canada's Wonderland pass!

I've experienced an earthquake on (about) the 30th floor of a hotel in Tokyo. That is some serious sway!
(06-01-2021, 09:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-01-2021, 09:44 PM)jeffster Wrote: When you start hitting 40 floors, depending on the structure, you might start to experience sway when there are high winds. This happens a handful of times a year. No need for a Canada's Wonderland pass!

I've experienced an earthquake on (about) the 30th floor of a hotel in Tokyo. That is some serious sway!

As much as I could joke about something like that, I have to admit, I'd be crapping myself if that happened. Literally.

I would love to see more quality building in the low-rise to mid-rise realm in the city but sadly they don't seem to get the same attention. There are some great examples around, but also a lot of not so great ones. We have so much space to fill with even a small amount of height before a genuine need to go way up.
(06-01-2021, 10:50 PM)cherrypark Wrote: I would love to see more quality building in the low-rise to mid-rise realm in the city but sadly they don't seem to get the same attention. There are some great examples around, but also a lot of not so great ones. We have so much space to fill with even a small amount of height before a genuine need to go way up.

I think it's fine we're utilizing height already. Most of the tall buildings are centered right downtown/uptown where you generally want the most density so you can maximize potential housing units/office space now rather than later on. Or, alternatively, just clustered around transit nodes which is thankfully the plan the region has around each LRT station. This is good for the urban landscape so they're clustered together, because few people would want a 30 floor condo next to their single family home. Low and mid rise is great as well and we definitely need more of it, but I'd prefer to see it on the outer peripheries of the cores and even scattered throughout the rest of the city.

Basically...your quintessential city: place the tallest buildings clustered in a downtown or similar section of the city where there is active transit (such as North York area, Midtown Toronto etc) with mid rise buildings surrounding that and low rise even further out (though low rise is such a waste). In the end, we need a serious push to have mid rise buildings approved. There are some developers out there doing this - such as Vive Developments - but there could be so much more.

The City Centre/Young Condos will take away my view of 100 Victoria/Garmet St.

You need to move to DTK !!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »