Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Quality
https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ay-3968245

This is the first time in my memory that we've had wildfire related air quality issues in our area. I am very much not impressed. As a person with lung problems, it is a considerable risk for me, and a major quality of life issue. I was quite happy when the coal plants were shut down and it brought an end to smog days. Sad to see them return.

It would be nice if we stopped making the planet unlivable for human beings I think.

On the plus side, while I'll be avoiding exercise outdoors for the next few days as a result of this, as a result of the other major cataclysm this year I have an N95 mask that I can wear when running errands.

(07-19-2021, 08:18 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ay-3968245

This is the first time in my memory that we've had wildfire related air quality issues in our area. I am very much not impressed. As a person with lung problems, it is a considerable risk for me, and a major quality of life issue. I was quite happy when the coal plants were shut down and it brought an end to smog days. Sad to see them return.

It would be nice if we stopped making the planet unlivable for human beings I think.

On the plus side, while I'll be avoiding exercise outdoors for the next few days as a result of this, as a result of the other major cataclysm this year I have an N95 mask that I can wear when running errands.

Well, it is wildfires. These things happen with or without mans help. I was reading that many out west would rather forgo some rain just to avoid more lightening strike (which create the fires). (I am aware that some of them might be made by carelessness).

At least with the cold front tomorrow evening, it should help things out.

I do recall a year or two ago with us having an advisory regarding the wild fires. Years ago, I can't remember, but we had a cool summer due to an eruption half-way across the globe (daytime highs were 22 for each of June, July, August and September (it started getting warmer first week of September). I was sick all summer due to my asthma.
(07-19-2021, 09:04 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 08:18 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ay-3968245

Well, it is wildfires. These things happen with or without mans help. I was reading that many out west would rather forgo some rain just to avoid more lightening strike (which create the fires). (I am aware that some of them might be made by carelessness).

I do recall a year or two ago with us having an advisory regarding the wild fires. Years ago, I can't remember, but we had a cool summer due to an eruption half-way across the globe (daytime highs were 22 for each of June, July, August and September (it started getting warmer first week of September). I was sick all summer due to my asthma.

I mean, yes, they happen with or without our help....much like rain, drought, snow, etc. But like all weather, they have been made significantly more intense by our actions.

As for when it will end, the article said Wednesday, but hopefully you are right. I recall the volcano, and I also recall high altitude ash making the sun look unusual, but I don't remember ground level particulate at this level. But perhaps I have merely suppressed it.
(07-19-2021, 09:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 09:04 PM)jeffster Wrote: Well, it is wildfires. These things happen with or without mans help. I was reading that many out west would rather forgo some rain just to avoid more lightening strike (which create the fires). (I am aware that some of them might be made by carelessness).

I mean, yes, they happen with or without our help....much like rain, drought, snow, etc. But like all weather, they have been made significantly more intense by our actions.

As for when it will end, the article said Wednesday, but hopefully you are right. I recall the volcano, and I also recall high altitude ash making the sun look unusual, but I don't remember ground level particulate at this level. But perhaps I have merely suppressed it.

I don't recall any ground level particulate -- just cooler temperatures that year.

But you're right about the climate change causing more fires. I mean, we had a village in Canada come close to hitting 50ºC which is insane.
(07-19-2021, 09:04 PM)jeffster Wrote: Well, it is wildfires. These things happen with or without mans help. I was reading that many out west would rather forgo some rain just to avoid more lightening strike (which create the fires). (I am aware that some of them might be made by carelessness).

Fun fact! First nations used fire to control the landscape with controlled burns. Then white people and Smokey the Bear came along to suppress all fires. Unfortunately when you do that, then the amount of fuel just accumulates, and, combined with climate change, you get super-fires like the ones we've been seeing recently.
(07-20-2021, 10:56 PM)plam Wrote:

Fun fact! First nations used fire to control the landscape with controlled burns. Then white people and Smokey the Bear came along to suppress all fires. Unfortunately when you do that, then the amount of fuel just accumulates, and, combined with climate change, you get super-fires like the ones we've been seeing recently.

I wonder if the same applies to residential flooding? I have an idea that First Nations knew not to build their houses on flood plains; or at least to only live there seasonally. Then the settlers came and built right next to the river and only (mostly) stopped after losing many neighbourhoods to flooding.
(07-21-2021, 10:49 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I wonder if the same applies to residential flooding? I have an idea that First Nations knew not to build their houses on flood plains; or at least to only live there seasonally. Then the settlers came and built right next to the river and only (mostly) stopped after losing many neighbourhoods to flooding.

Good question. I don't know the answer to that in North America. I do know that it just came up in the NZ news that some highway routing was changed due to Maori input and that the changed route did avoid recent flooding.

EDIT: from a colleague: "I have heard stories about FN telling people to move winter camps away from frozen rivers due to the danger of the spring break up floods"

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »