Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Kraus Development (525-565 Conestogo Road) | 3-35 fl | Proposed
(08-16-2023, 04:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: Good luck trying to convince a developer to build a heated, enclosed bridge that provides absolutely no benefit to their development lol. I'd be surprised if they even build one at all because it will cost them a lot of money and take more effort to work with the MTO. I mean it would be nice but don't believe that most people living here are going to be transit enthusiasts who want easier access to the LRT. Most people living in these vertical suburbs are going to have cars.

The Region has been looking at building a few pedestrian bridges throughout KW, maybe they'll throw some cash into the pot to help with this one. I know there's rough plans for a pedestrian crossing between University and Bridgeport, so there's a modicum of hope!

(08-16-2023, 08:20 PM)KevinL Wrote: An enclosed bridge means keeping the snow off, and the MTO won't like that snow going on the highway, so it'll need roof drainage. That will probably mean at least somewhat pricy engineering.

But that snow would... already land on the highway without a bridge? What am I missing here?
(08-16-2023, 08:20 PM)KevinL Wrote: An enclosed bridge means keeping the snow off, and the MTO won't like that snow going on the highway, so it'll need roof drainage. That will probably mean at least somewhat pricy engineering.

No more snow would fall on the highway than if there were no bridge at all ... anyway, tall glass sides would keep away noise and wind (and driving snow/rain), and that would likely be the most cost-effective option.
(08-17-2023, 01:35 PM)SF22 Wrote:

But that snow would... already land on the highway without a bridge? What am I missing here?

I assume the issue would be snow (or worse, ice) building up and then falling off in large sheets/clumps. I imagine falling directly on windshields would be the biggest issue, but maybe a large sheet falling could also create a "speed bump" on an already cleared road?
I’m thinking best case scenario is a bridge like the one across the 401 at Conestoga Doon:

[Image: vbOY76z.jpg]
local cambridge weirdo

Smooth sloped metal roof with just enough heating capacity built in to prevent snow freezing to the surface and building up (let it fall to the road below in pieces small enough not to be an issue for drivers). Done. I mean, it’s not nothing, but in the context of building a bridge across an entire expressway it’s not a significant factor. Anyway, where would the snow that lands on the bridge go if it were an open bridge?
An open bridge has the snow pile up on the deck, which is not ideal for year-round pedestrian use. My point was, yes, clumped snow or ice could fall from a roof onto the highway and be a hazard; I suppose you could heat it but again, pricey engineering.

All you have to do is shovel it and there should be no excuse as to why it couldn't be. This is Canada and it snows. A lot.

Here are two bridges in Scandinavia that see year round use and aren't over engineered with rooftops and heaters to melt snow on the roof, they simply clear the snow and it works without having to spend an exorbirant amount of money on a complex footbridge. A wee bit of snow coming down from the sides as it got shoveled ought to not cause an accident. Snow flies off trucks and regular road bridges and overpasses quite often. It can be a shock if you're driving but it's not frequently an issue or anything, or there'd be more protection. But even if you needed some, you could just to a regular old footbridge and have some mesh extended out on the sides, which can break up any snow that may fall and dissipate it as it went down to the road underneath. I can't think of any bridges that really do this around here, though.

A series of 3 footbridges by Studio Granda in Reykjavík, Iceland. Runs over a motorway and causes no problems.

[Image: R7ZJk2q.jpg]

The White Arkitekter office in Stockholm, Sweden. Crosses over some parking, pathways and a small road. Works just fine.

[Image: 6ULzlB5.jpg]
Here is one more, from Tampere, in Finland:

[Image: 1280px-Ratinan_silta_iltap%C3%A4iv%C3%A4...oramio.jpg]
Enclosed is still better though, especially over an expressway. But those are great examples and certainly better than not having the bridge.
I drove by and this is getting demo’d, at least the back North section
12-tower redevelopment of Kraus carpet factory aims to ‘cater to modern urban families’ in Waterloo

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...b3b01.html
Although the location itself isn't too bad (transportation), I just cant help think that I would not want to live there as it is surrounded by industrial... No thanks.. If I want modern, I would go to DTK where a real "urban" vibe is being created.

(12-06-2023, 07:52 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Although the location itself isn't too bad (transportation), I just cant help think that I would not want to live there as it is surrounded by industrial...  No thanks..  If I want modern, I would go to DTK where a real "urban" vibe is being created.

It wouldn't surprise me if we saw some more residential pop up in the area in the next 10 years (though I will admit that I definitely don't expect to see the whole Conestogo Road area turn over). There's a literal cornfield at King/Conestogo behind the Best Western that is bound to get developed at some point, and it wouldn't be overly shocking if some of the smaller industrial properties sold to developers, particularly the ones directly across from the Kraus lot.
(12-06-2023, 10:02 AM)SF22 Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 07:52 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Although the location itself isn't too bad (transportation), I just cant help think that I would not want to live there as it is surrounded by industrial...  No thanks..  If I want modern, I would go to DTK where a real "urban" vibe is being created.

It wouldn't surprise me if we saw some more residential pop up in the area in the next 10 years (though I will admit that I definitely don't expect to see the whole Conestogo Road area turn over). There's a literal cornfield at King/Conestogo behind the Best Western that is bound to get developed at some point, and it wouldn't be overly shocking if some of the smaller industrial properties sold to developers, particularly the ones directly across from the Kraus lot.

Likely that is probable, but in the mean time...no thanks.  Not what I would be looking for or for my family.  It will be its own little living quarters with no real connection to a neighborhood.  I would rather be DTK where I can walk to all the amenities and entertainment and schools included.  That's the whole purpose of "modern urban".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »