Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
193 Water St S and 62 Highman Ave | 5x 15 fl | Proposed
Do I hear ten per cent affordable (eg 99 units)?

As a thought exercise, what proportion of every building coming down the pipeline would need to be affordable in order to wipe out the current affordable housing backlog and build a buffer for anticipated growth? Would the cities and/or Region have any hope of being able to make in roads into existing condo buildings by purchasing existing condo units? One can dream...

I know that the Region works closely with larger landlords to secure affordable apartment units in existing rental buildings. I'm not sure how that would work with individual, investor landlords who may only have a handful of units and are more interested in a long-term increase in their property value (as well as being able to pay off their mortgages).

Couldn't they at least add a slight variation in height, facade design or colour?! Wow.
(06-15-2021, 01:58 AM)nms Wrote: Do I hear ten per cent affordable (eg 99 units)?

As a thought exercise, what proportion of every building coming down the pipeline would need to be affordable in order to wipe out the current affordable housing backlog and build a buffer for anticipated growth? Would the cities and/or Region have any hope of being able to make in roads into existing condo buildings by purchasing existing condo units? One can dream...

I know that the Region works closely with larger landlords to secure affordable apartment units in existing rental buildings.  I'm not sure how that would work with individual, investor landlords who may only have a handful of units and are more interested in a long-term increase in their property value (as well as being able to pay off their mortgages).

Is that something that municipal governments are even allowed to do, require a minimum of affordable units?
As expected, this is opposed by a resident (as well as additional people who have signed a petition.
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ridge.html

Quote:Cory White lives in one of those homes. While he said he is fine with development in his backyard, it is the scale of the proposed project and its potential impacts that bother him.

“The biggest impact is just the amount of traffic that will be added to the area,” White said.

“Nine hundred and ninety-one units, that’s a lot of traffic to add to a two-lane roadway,” he said of Water Street South.

The loss of cherished green space in the neighbourhood is another big concern for White and his neighbours, one of whom started a petition to stop the project. The petition has gained more than 600 signatures since it was created earlier this week.

Although the green space is mostly a thick brush that not many people venture into, White said he and his neighbours worry about the removal of approximately 600 trees and the impact that loss will have on two neighbouring heritage properties and wildlife in the area.
He raises some valid concerns, at least. The loss of greenspace is never nice to see. Indeed, it's just brush that almost nobody goes into, but it's the loss of ecological habitat that is regrettable...especially so close to the river. While it's mostly just grass and trees, there are still many things living there. I'm sure the traffic concerns won't be that big of a deal, though. People overestimate how much traffic a residential development actually adds. It does add more cars, but nowhere near as much as a commercial or business space. People are only coming and going from home so many times throughout the day. The road will probably be improved at some point (I haven't read the traffic studies on this yet, though they are linked on the City of Cambridge website).
(06-18-2021, 10:05 AM)ac3r Wrote: He raises some valid concerns, at least. The loss of greenspace is never nice to see. Indeed, it's just brush that almost nobody goes into, but it's the loss of ecological habitat that is regrettable...especially so close to the river. While it's mostly just grass and trees, there are still many things living there. I'm sure the traffic concerns won't be that big of a deal, though. People overestimate how much traffic a residential development actually adds. It does add more cars, but nowhere near as much as a commercial or business space. People are only coming and going from home so many times throughout the day. The road will probably be improved at some point (I haven't read the traffic studies on this yet, though they are linked on the City of Cambridge website).
Traffic studies indicate something needs to be done. The road is already well over capacity. Theres also an issue of it frequently flooding. It unfortunately doesn't seem to be a priority for the city. 

I would also agree the loss of this habitat so near to the river would be regrettable. I wouldn't mind them scaling this down if they're going to be building 5 identical eyesores anyway. Maybe only build 3 and save a portion of the forest and wildlife here.
This letter to the editor got me chuckling:

If you’re bothered by development, tear down your house and return property to its natural state

I like how it implies that all nimbys live in single family homes. "Tear down your house"
(06-27-2021, 06:41 PM)mastermind Wrote: I like how it implies that all nimbys live in single family homes.  "Tear down your house"

Well, how often do we hear of NIMBYs in condos doing things like this?
(06-28-2021, 12:24 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(06-27-2021, 06:41 PM)mastermind Wrote: I like how it implies that all nimbys live in single family homes.  "Tear down your house"

Well, how often do we hear of NIMBYs in condos doing things like this?

A guy that lived in the Westmount Grand condo tower was quoted in The Record saying that building the condo tower across the street would totally destroy the feel of the neighbourhood and its character. Some people really have absolutely zero self awareness.
(06-28-2021, 01:05 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 12:24 PM)Bytor Wrote: Well, how often do we hear of NIMBYs in condos doing things like this?

A guy that lived in the Westmount Grand condo tower was quoted in The Record saying that building the condo tower across the street would totally destroy the feel of the neighbourhood and its character. Some people really have absolutely zero self awareness.
Reminds me of the old saying 'Don't do what I do, do what I say'
(06-28-2021, 01:28 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 01:05 PM)taylortbb Wrote: A guy that lived in the Westmount Grand condo tower was quoted in The Record saying that building the condo tower across the street would totally destroy the feel of the neighbourhood and its character. Some people really have absolutely zero self awareness.
Reminds me of the old saying 'Don't do what I do, do what I say'

Or even “do what I mean, not what I say and certainly not what I do”!
(06-28-2021, 08:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 01:28 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Reminds me of the old saying 'Don't do what I do, do what I say'

Or even “do what I mean, not what I say and certainly not what I do”!
I've learnt over the years the things that people often hate the most are the things they do themselves

(06-25-2021, 08:26 PM)cherrypark Wrote: This letter to the editor got me chuckling:

If you’re bothered by development, tear down your house and return property to its natural state

Read an interesting article about Canada's housing crises, and affordability issues. It mentions that if we allow for more building with less red-tape, then existing properties lose some value, due to them being second hand (much like how a new car goes for a lot more than an old car). It applies equality to owning or renting. Developments like this one mentioned in Cambridge, would trickle down to other existing units, and force them to go for less, rather than the continual increases we see today.

But I still hear, including this site, people going on how we can't build so many units because there aren't enough people. My thought is, we continue to build and build, especially large condos and large apartments, until we have too many units in the market. As of now, we still don't have enough. Once we have too many, then older places will have to rent out for less.

I was surprised at how cheap some places in Toronto were -- $650 for studio, $750 for 1-bed, and $850 for 2-bed, all inclusive. Not a horrible looking apartment, but certainly not new and cutting edge. Toronto, though, has built and built, and apartment rentals are starting to come down a bit, especially outside the core.
(07-27-2021, 05:33 PM)jeffster Wrote: But I still hear, including this site, people going on how we can't build so many units because there aren't enough people.

Those better not be the same people complaining prices are too high…
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »