Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carfree or Car-light Places
(04-19-2021, 06:11 PM)ktmbtsmrt Wrote:
(04-18-2021, 10:31 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: What are the biggest car-free or biggest, most car-light places in Canada you can think of?

I mean, I'd include places like Old Montreal, which is not car-free at all, but is very pedestrian focused and car-limited.
I think it is so sad a large pedestrianized/car-free area doesn't exist here. So many places have that as a norm, and whether it's for tourism purposes, heritage purposes, city age (although I can tell you it's not only old cities with pedestrian only areas), or night markets/shopping, they're still generally the places to be at in a city. Communal spaces seem common in most cultures and settlement histories, and here they're mostly relegated to parks, sidewalks and our backyards. A shame really. Glad you asked this question.

It's embarrassing to me that in Toronto, Kensington Market isn't car free - or even car-free during 'business hours'.

The only places I can think of - remote places up north - but probably not what you're thinking, Toronto's waterfront area, or some small town 'downtown' like Elora. Isn't Dundas St in London kinda pedestrian only (haven't been there in a while, just heard a rumor)

Yeah, this more or less reflects my thoughts.  Dundas St. in London, being my original hometown, is rather...controversial. They intended it to be a flex street, but sadly the policies have failed and the street is still dominated by cars--even worse in some ways, they are parked all over the sidewalk. That being said, apparently council just voted to actually physically limit vehicles, so maybe it will improve.

(04-19-2021, 06:11 PM)ktmbtsmrt Wrote:
(04-18-2021, 10:31 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: What are the biggest car-free or biggest, most car-light places in Canada you can think of?

I mean, I'd include places like Old Montreal, which is not car-free at all, but is very pedestrian focused and car-limited.
I think it is so sad a large pedestrianized/car-free area doesn't exist here. So many places have that as a norm, and whether it's for tourism purposes, heritage purposes, city age (although I can tell you it's not only old cities with pedestrian only areas), or night markets/shopping, they're still generally the places to be at in a city. Communal spaces seem common in most cultures and settlement histories, and here they're mostly relegated to parks, sidewalks and our backyards. A shame really. Glad you asked this question.

It's embarrassing to me that in Toronto, Kensington Market isn't car free - or even car-free during 'business hours'.

The only places I can think of - remote places up north - but probably not what you're thinking, Toronto's waterfront area, or some small town 'downtown' like Elora. Isn't Dundas St in London kinda pedestrian only (haven't been there in a while, just heard a rumor)

When this topic comes up I always dream that we can have a 16th Street Mall here from Downtown to Uptown. That's a little long but it would be pretty cool.

King St from Cedar to Wellington in Kitchener would be the same length as 16th Street. Add a car-free trunk on Gaukel to Victoria Park.
(04-19-2021, 06:11 PM)ktmbtsmrt Wrote: The only places I can think of - remote places up north - but probably not what you're thinking, Toronto's waterfront area, or some small town 'downtown' like Elora. Isn't Dundas St in London kinda pedestrian only (haven't been there in a while, just heard a rumor)

Even Elora isn't particularly car-light: like most Ontario small towns, such as St Jacobs, the road runs through the town and pedestrian/bicycle traffic really is secondary. And then there are few amenities in the downtown, so you need to leave the relatively comfortable area far more often.
Last summer much of the downtown area in Elora was closed off to cars and it was pretty amazing. I think it was a Covid "slow streets" thing, but I hope it sticks around.
(04-19-2021, 08:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-19-2021, 06:11 PM)ktmbtsmrt Wrote: The only places I can think of - remote places up north - but probably not what you're thinking, Toronto's waterfront area, or some small town 'downtown' like Elora. Isn't Dundas St in London kinda pedestrian only (haven't been there in a while, just heard a rumor)

Even Elora isn't particularly car-light: like most Ontario small towns, such as St Jacobs, the road runs through the town and pedestrian/bicycle traffic really is secondary. And then there are few amenities in the downtown, so you need to leave the relatively comfortable area far more often.

That's why I was thinking about Canmore. It's a bit bigger than Elora so it's not a one-road town (has a bit of a grid) and it has enough amenities that you don't actually quite need to leave. Though the grocery stores are across some urban highways so that's a minus. But the cars are primary as they pretty much are everywhere in Canada I think.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »