Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R+T is very suburban?
(04-15-2021, 10:10 PM)nms Wrote: I just took a quick tour around the UW campus circa 2015 via Google Streetview (side note: you can do that now whereas previously Google didn't go on semi-private roads).  The "sidewalks" that were removed were paved sections of the eastern side of the eastern loop (ie from the pedestrian connection at CPH & University Ave north to the path that went out to Columbia).  They were barely sidewalk width.  I think they were put in place to recognize that there was enough foot traffic there that the grass didn't grow.  Due to the elevation difference between Ring Road and the Laurel Trail, it would have been difficult for the University to widen the sidewalk without putting in a retaining wall.

I eventually thought to do that too, which refreshed my memory. Even that narrow sidewalk had some use — as a landing zone for being dropped off, and as Dan suggests to walk along until a break in the traffic occurs.

I think I understand the theory behind why it was removed — there is nothing on that side of the road to reach — but in reality there are at least two reasons why it was useful. Neither reason requires any more width than there already was.

(04-16-2021, 08:45 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 10:10 PM)nms Wrote: I just took a quick tour around the UW campus circa 2015 via Google Streetview (side note: you can do that now whereas previously Google didn't go on semi-private roads).  The "sidewalks" that were removed were paved sections of the eastern side of the eastern loop (ie from the pedestrian connection at CPH & University Ave north to the path that went out to Columbia).  They were barely sidewalk width.  I think they were put in place to recognize that there was enough foot traffic there that the grass didn't grow.  Due to the elevation difference between Ring Road and the Laurel Trail, it would have been difficult for the University to widen the sidewalk without putting in a retaining wall.

I eventually thought to do that too, which refreshed my memory. Even that narrow sidewalk had some use — as a landing zone for being dropped off, and as Dan suggests to walk along until a break in the traffic occurs.

I think I understand the theory behind why it was removed — there is nothing on that side of the road to reach — but in reality there are at least two reasons why it was useful. Neither reason requires any more width than there already was.

I think what it speaks to is the windshield blindness of the university administration. Most, if not almost all, drive to campus, many even park INSIDE Ring Rd. (which, IMO, is the main political obstacle to removing cars from Ring Rd.).

Administration doesn't know about those uses because they've never experienced them. And they certainly don't bother to engage or ask students or faculty what they think.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »