Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Waterloo Math 4 | 5fl | Proposed
(02-09-2021, 12:43 AM)nms Wrote: I expect one challenge with building over that laneway is the large loading dock in the NE corner of MC. Any building over the laneway would need to accommodate the highest likely delivery truck and/or garbage truck.
The parking spots along that stretch of lane are generally all accessible parking spots.

Manulife handles that in DTK. It just means the height needs to be enough to accommodate those trucks.

(02-09-2021, 12:43 AM)nms Wrote: I expect one challenge with building over that laneway is the large loading dock in the NE corner of MC. Any building over the laneway would need to accommodate the highest likely delivery truck and/or garbage truck.
The parking spots along that stretch of lane are generally all accessible parking spots.

While there are many wheelchair spaces on that laneway, is by no means all, and by my count is in fact, less than half.

Honestly, I'd like to eliminate traffic on Ring Rd. for safety...but that's a whole other story.

The only way they could build it over the laneway is if the building's connected and the loading dock was moved. Feasible I think, but more ambitious and restrictive to be sure.
Construction is supposed to begin at the end of this year:

https://uwaterloo.ca/math/mathematics-4

The page says that “the building is scheduled to be completed in 2025”. We’ll see.
In an echo of Environment 3, this building will be built on top of and reuse the food court wing of DC. At 142,000 gross square feet and 5 storeys, it's not a small building.
Definitely a better design than first discussed; the existing quad is kept in full, and is just enclosed more at the northeast. Very nice.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »