Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacon bacon bacon!
"Canadian bacon" is definitely back bacon. And peameal (cornmeal!) bacon is also back bacon. Now, what McDonalds uses (and calls "bacon") is something that I can't answer!

Oh, and the "American bacon" is side bacon. Smile

I think the curing process might be different then.
(02-03-2021, 11:50 PM)jeffster Wrote: Is there anyone that doesn't like crispy bacon?

My son, but he's 11 and clearly has bad taste.
Ok, here is a debate, how to cook your bacon? Deep fry, fry pan, broil in oven, air fryer, some special concoction?
I will start. During nice weather at the lake, I utize my Blackstone grill then I keep it warm on the upper rack in the bbq on low. It comes out amazing, crispy, not burnt and the grease all gone... sigh
(02-03-2021, 11:50 PM)jeffster Wrote: Is there anyone that doesn't like crispy bacon?
I am not fond of it. I never got the point of what is mostly strips of fat. The common obsession with bacon seems to be the result of a marketing campaign.
(02-05-2021, 06:13 PM)Acitta Wrote:
I am not fond of it. I never got the point of what is mostly strips of fat. The common obsession with bacon seems to be the result of a marketing campaign.

It's so tasty. And I don't recall seeing any marketing campaign with bacon though.

If you cook the bacon enough, it gets more crispy, and you can use the left over fat for bonfires. So many uses.

(02-05-2021, 05:09 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Ok, here is a debate, how to cook your bacon?  Deep fry, fry pan, broil in oven, air fryer, some special concoction?

Pan fry. Never thought to deep fry. When I was kid, my parents had a special bacon tray for cooking it in the microwave. Not quite the same. And probably the reason why I didn't like bacon all that much as a kid.
(02-05-2021, 06:50 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 06:13 PM)Acitta Wrote: I am not fond of it. I never got the point of what is mostly strips of fat. The common obsession with bacon seems to be the result of a marketing campaign.

It's so tasty. And I don't recall seeing any marketing campaign with bacon though.

If you cook the bacon enough, it gets more crispy, and you can use the left over fat for bonfires. So many uses.
How ‘Bacon and Eggs’ Became the American Breakfast

The Complete History of How Bacon Took Over the World
I prefer baking.
I almost always have it baked; I'll fry in cast iron on special occasions.
Rainrider22 Wrote:Ok, here is a debate, how to cook your bacon?  Deep fry, fry pan, broil in oven, air fryer, some special concoction?

Pan fried is the go to.  Broiled in over if we are preparing a large breakfast (back in a day a long time ago when we had people over).

I've never thought of using the air fryer.... has anyone attempted?

Coke
(02-10-2021, 09:34 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
Rainrider22 Wrote:Ok, here is a debate, how to cook your bacon?  Deep fry, fry pan, broil in oven, air fryer, some special concoction?

Pan fried is the go to.  Broiled in over if we are preparing a large breakfast (back in a day a long time ago when we had people over).

I've never thought of using the air fryer.... has anyone attempted?

Coke

Given that the definition of "fry" is "to cook in fat or oil", I have an issue with the word "air fryer".  But leaving that aside, since an "air fryer" is just a convection oven, I would expect the results to be very similar to that. Although I'm not sure what cleanup looks like.

We bake ours in a convection oven (on a half sheet with a layer of parchment paper). The edges get crisper earlier in the baking process and in general it seems a little bit closer to deep-fried bacon, if you've ever had that. Overall though the differences are pretty minor.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »