Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
My In-Laws in Mississauga are in an older condo. They are on the 19th floor in a massive unit. The way they should be built. They have a glazed in solarium and it is awesome. Their Master Bedroom is likely bigger than a lot of the condo units being built now. They has a huge ensuite washroom with spa bath tub, separate shower, bidet, and plenty of storage, A large walk in closet, and there ie enough room in the master to have all your furniture plus a couch, TV cabinet and coffee table with lots of room to walk around. The unit has 2 other bedrooms. One of the bedrooms has french doors to the living room so it can be utilized as an office, den or bedroom. They have another full bath, laundry room, and storage closets. A large family can easily live in it. There should be more like this built but I imagine they would charge a small fortune for it now....

[Image: K03gou3.jpeg]
They're making good, steady progress. Nice to see.
If I am correct, they are moving to the tower portion now ?
(02-10-2024, 04:02 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: If I am correct, they are moving to the tower portion now ?

Yes, you are correct.  They are starting on the 7th floor.  The parking podium is finished.
Photo 
This is from last Thursday, Feb 8. I thought it was neat how they were building parts of a (tower building platform?) in the Ziggy's/ UHaul parking lots, then lifting them up into place. The focus is definitely on the Charles/Francis corner now, which makes sense from the renders on the webpage https://tektower.ca/ Do we know anyone that works on the top floor of 121 Charles in the tannery?

Here's a fresh one from today (Feb 16). Seems like they're close to starting on the tower, but still putting some finishing touches on the podium?

Maybe this space is for the outdoor amenities?
First slab of the tower with its rounded corners
[Image: DsrTDWB.jpeg]
(02-28-2024, 12:57 PM)CP42 Wrote: First slab of the tower with its rounded corners

Did they remove a floor on the podium compared to initial plan/renders or can I just not count properly?
The renders on their website appear to show 6 floors of podium, with the rounded tower slabs starting on the 8th floor.
The photo above appears to have 5 floors of podium, with the rounded tower slabs starting on the 7th floor. 
[Image: UTC4ICp.png]
(02-28-2024, 01:08 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 12:57 PM)CP42 Wrote: First slab of the tower with its rounded corners

Did they remove a floor on the podium compared to initial plan/renders or can I just not count properly?
The renders on their website appear to show 6 floors of podium, with the rounded tower slabs starting on the 8th floor.
The photo above appears to have 5 floors of podium, with the rounded tower slabs starting on the 7th floor. 
[Image: UTC4ICp.png]

The most recent publicly available architectural drawings file also shows a 6 floor podium and then the tower instead of the 5 that is built. It could be a case of parking wasn't selling so they got rid of a floor of the podium and just replaced it with a tower floor. In one of the projects that IN8 is planning in Hamilton they've recently resubmitted with a significant reduction to the initial parking they proposed so they might've used this tower to justify it. 

Another thing is that the rendering is from before it had SPA approval and things can definitely change between the initial rendering and now. If you look at the corner of Francis/Charles you'll notice that there is only one column not two like in the rendering, another difference is there appears to be balconies fronting Francis in the podium however those aren't in the renderings either so things definitely change.
Yeah you want to go by the architectural drawings, not renderings. The renderings most of you guys end up seeing posted around the internet are mostly intended for council presentations and sales material. A lot can change in the design, the renderings may be poorly made or they can end up overly post-processed.
Yeah, I posted a long time ago they reduced the podium by 1 floor, and increased the tower by 2. That’s when it changed from 44 floors to 45. This was due to the parking requirements

Photo 
Pic from yesterday (Friday, March 1, 2024). I'm going to miss the view of the King Centre

Photo 
March 15th

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »