Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parcel Delivery
(12-24-2020, 09:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I was wondering if other folks were having this issue. We live in a small multi-residential tower, (13 stories, ~60 units).

Most delivery companies (with the exception of Purolator) have no problem delivering packages to us in the building. They buzz whoever they are delivering a package too, and just come in and leave them all by people's doors (sometimes they are delivering to more than one unit).

Canada Post has access to our building and we have a mail room where they can deliver letter mail. So they have no obstacle to getting into the building. We also have a giant Canada Post package locker, with about 8 package spots.

However, the last several times CP has tried to deliver to us, the packages were instead diverted to the post office. No attempt was made to deliver to the door, the packages were not put in the package locker (they would have fit), they were not left by the door, and they did not knock or call or buzz. We have been home as a result of the pandemic and would have received such a notification.

Anyone else having this problem? I mean, I know they are swamped, and if they asked, I'd probably be fine to just pick it up...well...for some of the times, it also happened while we were quarantined which was a problem...but it's a little frustrating getting a missed delivery notification when I *KNOW* we were home, and when I KNOW the delivery person was able to get into the building and especially when our building explicitly requested and had installed a parcel locker.

My building also has one of those locker, and CP did leave a package in it for me last week.

Is it just possible the locker was full? before they put that in, mine would be diverted to the PO all the time if I was not home as well.

(12-24-2020, 11:28 PM)Chris Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 10:47 PM)Acitta Wrote: I have actually had a paper missed delivery notice after I had already picked up the parcel at the post office because of also getting an email notice.

This happened to me this week with Canada Post. I was home and got the tracking update that the delivery was attempted and a slip left at my door. I look around, no tracks in the snow, no slip. Tracking updated to available for pick-up so I went to the post office. Got the slip a day later.

Then today one of the Amazon delivery agencies rang the video door bell, took a picture of the package on our step and left. Then we got an email saying the package was delivered and signed for. The signature in the email was literally five vertical lines. I know they are in a hurry but if that package was stolen or missing I would have raised hell. The whole thing is on our video doorbell and so it seems kind of odd that the delivery guy would do that.

I think to avoid contact, they don't actually collect signatures.  I've got to the door in enough time to wave / yell thanks at the driver, and the deliver notification has them printing my name in the signature panel.  Can't blame them for limiting physical contact.

As for the locker, could all 8 spots in your building be filled already?

Coke
(12-29-2020, 09:46 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 11:28 PM)Chris Wrote: This happened to me this week with Canada Post. I was home and got the tracking update that the delivery was attempted and a slip left at my door. I look around, no tracks in the snow, no slip. Tracking updated to available for pick-up so I went to the post office. Got the slip a day later.

Then today one of the Amazon delivery agencies rang the video door bell, took a picture of the package on our step and left. Then we got an email saying the package was delivered and signed for. The signature in the email was literally five vertical lines. I know they are in a hurry but if that package was stolen or missing I would have raised hell. The whole thing is on our video doorbell and so it seems kind of odd that the delivery guy would do that.

I think to avoid contact, they don't actually collect signatures.  I've got to the door in enough time to wave / yell thanks at the driver, and the deliver notification has them printing my name in the signature panel.  Can't blame them for limiting physical contact.

Coke

Seems unlikely, our building is quite small, 60 units or so.
(12-29-2020, 09:46 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 11:28 PM)Chris Wrote: This happened to me this week with Canada Post. I was home and got the tracking update that the delivery was attempted and a slip left at my door. I look around, no tracks in the snow, no slip. Tracking updated to available for pick-up so I went to the post office. Got the slip a day later.

Coke

When shipping you pay extra for Signature Required service. This is usually for good reason and not something that the carrier has the discretion to skip. You're right about the fact that with Covid they aren't collecting signatures, but they still have to ensure that they are delivering to a person and get the name of that person. That said, the default is to not require a signature and it is almost certainly the case that an online purchase you have made does not have this requirement.
(12-29-2020, 11:23 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 09:46 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: I think to avoid contact, they don't actually collect signatures.  I've got to the door in enough time to wave / yell thanks at the driver, and the deliver notification has them printing my name in the signature panel.  Can't blame them for limiting physical contact.

Coke

Seems unlikely, our building is quite small, 60 units or so.

However ... if people don't pick up the mail, the locker compartments can fill up.
(12-29-2020, 12:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 11:23 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Seems unlikely, our building is quite small, 60 units or so.

However ... if people don't pick up the mail, the locker compartments can fill up.

I'm sure they can but it is very unlikely in a building the size of ours in a time where most are staying home that it would be full twice like this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »