Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Times when staff didn't follow best practices or local policies for new infra
I think that's right, but I can't go out to confirm right at the moment. Smile

(10-23-2020, 01:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: LEDs themselves of course emit a specific wavelength (blue) but in modern white LED lamps, the blue light is passed through a phosphor to adjust the spectrum to white, and the resulting light is very broad spectrum, far better than low pressure sodium lights (which we didn't use, but are common in some places) and certainly not worse than high pressure sodium lights (which we did use before).  They are a higher colour temperature which does affect one's perception of brightness.

Given what we already knew when the decision was made by Kitchener to start using these LED lamps about how bluer light screws with your circadian rhythms and increases the risk of many diseases, I'd say that they are definitely worse than the old orangey sodium lights in that regard.
(10-23-2020, 05:32 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 01:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: LEDs themselves of course emit a specific wavelength (blue) but in modern white LED lamps, the blue light is passed through a phosphor to adjust the spectrum to white, and the resulting light is very broad spectrum, far better than low pressure sodium lights (which we didn't use, but are common in some places) and certainly not worse than high pressure sodium lights (which we did use before).  They are a higher colour temperature which does affect one's perception of brightness.

Given what we already knew when the decision was made by Kitchener to start using these LED lamps about how bluer light screws with your circadian rhythms and increases the risk of many diseases, I'd say that they are definitely worse than the old orangey sodium lights in that regard.

Leaving aside whether the data is clear on that or not for the moment.

I think you are confusing colour temperature with spectrum broadness. Spectrum refers to how many different wavelenths of light are present in a light source. You can make a light source appear white with only 3 different (I think) wavelengths of light, where as traditional sources such as sunlight or incandescent bulbs will have light from all wavelengths in the visible spectrum. Having light in only a few wavelengths will appear white (or any colour you choose to make) to the eye, but it will not look normal when objects are lit.

Fortunately, white LEDs as we have used emit a broad spectrum of light closer to an incandescent bulb, meaning objects will look normal when lit by these bulbs. This is opposed to some light sources which emit only a few wavelengths and drastically distort the colour of objects lit by those sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-vap..._lamps.jpg

In terms of colour temperature, yeah, LEDs were chosen with a higher colour temperature (you're right this was a choice). Whether you consider that a good, bad, or neutral thing well, I don't personally believe the data is all that conclusive--certainly there are indications that it can cause problems, but there are also some benefits (you need less light to achieve the same perceived brightness). But mostly I believe focusing lumiares onto the areas that need lighting and thereby limiting spread of light and otherwise limiting unnecessary lighting is a more important than the colour temperature, but that's merely my opinion on the matter.
(10-23-2020, 05:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 05:32 PM)Bytor Wrote: Given what we already knew when the decision was made by Kitchener to start using these LED lamps about how bluer light screws with your circadian rhythms and increases the risk of many diseases, I'd say that they are definitely worse than the old orangey sodium lights in that regard.

In terms of colour temperature, yeah, LEDs were chosen with a higher colour temperature (you're right this was a choice). Whether you consider that a good, bad, or neutral thing well, I don't personally believe the data is all that conclusive--certainly there are indications that it can cause problems, but there are also some benefits (you need less light to achieve the same perceived brightness). But mostly I believe focusing lumiares onto the areas that need lighting and thereby limiting spread of light and otherwise limiting unnecessary lighting is a more important than the colour temperature, but that's merely my opinion on the matter.

Agreed. And with the higher efficiency of the LEDs and the reduced replacement frequency (and thus labour cost) of the LED lights, the cost savings is substantial.

Not to mention that no one makes low-pressure sodium lights any more, so they are no longer a viable option even if we liked that colour of light. (Of course orange light from LEDs is also possible.)
(10-24-2020, 02:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 05:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: In terms of colour temperature, yeah, LEDs were chosen with a higher colour temperature (you're right this was a choice). Whether you consider that a good, bad, or neutral thing well, I don't personally believe the data is all that conclusive--certainly there are indications that it can cause problems, but there are also some benefits (you need less light to achieve the same perceived brightness). But mostly I believe focusing lumiares onto the areas that need lighting and thereby limiting spread of light and otherwise limiting unnecessary lighting is a more important than the colour temperature, but that's merely my opinion on the matter.

Agreed. And with the higher efficiency of the LEDs and the reduced replacement frequency (and thus labour cost) of the LED lights, the cost savings is substantial.

Not to mention that no one makes low-pressure sodium lights any more, so they are no longer a viable option even if we liked that colour of light. (Of course orange light from LEDs is also possible.)

Heh, I remember the first time I visited a place with LPS lights, I thought something was wrong with my eyes.
I remember being driven down the Don Valley Parkway in the 90s when it had these narrow sodium fixtures. The light was very yellow and quite different from your typical expressway.
(10-23-2020, 01:04 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 11:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Some crosswalks (Jubilee, King St E at Cameron) do have flashing white lights. The IHT does have lights.

Is IHT lite all the way now? Last time it had little lighting.

I took the IHT early this morning so I was able to gather some photo evidence.

Just before crossing Mill St

Near Madison Ave

At Short Fingers Brewing

Borden St crossing

It looks great all lit up. Definitely more welcoming while providing a sense of safety.
I think that they put in twice as many lights as is really needed. Maybe I am just used to riding unlighted trails in the dark.
(10-27-2020, 02:26 PM)Acitta Wrote: I think that they put in twice as many lights as is really needed. Maybe I am just used to riding unlighted trails in the dark.

The lighting standards used on trails are shorter in height, it makes them more human scale, and also throw less waste light, but it does mean you need more of them. I don't think the trail is over lit, if the standards were spaced farther apart, there would be dark patches.
(10-27-2020, 03:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:26 PM)Acitta Wrote: I think that they put in twice as many lights as is really needed. Maybe I am just used to riding unlighted trails in the dark.

The lighting standards used on trails are shorter in height, it makes them more human scale, and also throw less waste light, but it does mean you need more of them. I don't think the trail is over lit, if the standards were spaced farther apart, there would be dark patches.
Maybe I am just a vampire who likes cycling in the darkness.
I see a lot of the concrete pads at the side, presumably for benches. Anyone know when those get installed?
(10-27-2020, 04:59 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 03:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The lighting standards used on trails are shorter in height, it makes them more human scale, and also throw less waste light, but it does mean you need more of them. I don't think the trail is over lit, if the standards were spaced farther apart, there would be dark patches.
Maybe I am just a vampire who likes cycling in the darkness.

I usually find it's better to not do one's impression of a ninja when cycling.

(10-27-2020, 07:51 PM)KevinL Wrote: I see a lot of the concrete pads at the side, presumably for benches. Anyone know when those get installed?

They were already installed in the spring. They appear to have been removed for winter, possibly for reconditioning.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »