Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SmartCentre development at Hespeler & Pinebush
Ministerial zoning order granted. https://www.globenewswire.com/news-relea...Order.html

The idea of an MZO, which are unappealable, is something that I find disturbing. It removes power from the local municipal government who, theoretically, should have the more appropriate knowledge as to whether such a change is wanted and wanted in terms of the City growth plans.

Does an MZO allow them to ignore regional zoning?
(11-02-2020, 01:51 PM)Spokes Wrote: Does an MZO allow them to ignore regional zoning?

Yes, that is their entire purpose. If the zoning already allowed the development, there'd be no need for the MZO.

https://environmentaldefence.ca/2020/08/...t-anymore/

I note that while the MZO overrides the municipal zoning bylaws, they developer still has to pay necessary fees.
How much money did SmartCentres donate to Doug Ford and the CPC?
Correct me if I am wrong, I am not an expert on this issue. I believe Smartcentre got Cambridge council support to take this to the MZO in order to speed up the rezoning of this property. This process would have taken years if they didn't have the support from council.  Again I may be completely misinterpreting the information, but it sounds like Cambridge council is in support of this development.
Also personally from a city planning side, I wish all retail zoned areas in our cities were zoned for mixed use. People tend to be ok with living above restaurants and retail stores in our cities walkable downtowns why should it be any different in the suburbs.
(11-02-2020, 02:29 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Also personally from a city planning side, I wish all retail zoned areas in our cities were zoned for mixed use. People tend to be ok with living above restaurants and retail stores in our cities walkable downtowns why should it be any different in the suburbs.

I think the precedent is not great (the press release says the city supported it, but if an MZO is coming, are you really going to say "nah we hate it") and the location remains suboptimal but the outcome is not terrible here.

SmartCentre reached out to the city before submitting to MZO. They wanted the city support on this. I am feel like if the city could have rezoned this land in a reasonable time frame they probably would not have involved the MZO. Since they want to start this project this year they had to evolve them. 

I get that to a lot of us, this location is suboptimal. Personally, I would never choose to live beside a highway and the worst planned street in the region. But I see how some people would like this location. It has quick access to the 401, lots of shops (although almost all require a car). It theoretically will be within a 5-15min walk to a future lrt station. 

Hopefully if this project is able to find buyers it will encourage other stripmall owners along hespeler to redevelop. Which will help cambridge chances of getting an lrt
(11-02-2020, 02:26 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, I am not an expert on this issue. I believe Smartcentre got Cambridge council support to take this to the MZO in order to speed up the rezoning of this property. This process would have taken years if they didn't have the support from council.  Again I may be completely misinterpreting the information, but it sounds like Cambridge council is in support of this development.

It probably allows them to support it without officially supporting it.  They can therefore pass the buck when residents get upset
Quite a bit of radio silence on a project of this immense size, do we know anything about when it begins?
(09-21-2020, 06:25 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Anyone have anymore information on this?

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...cambridge/

I appreciate Smartcentre is finally starting to right the wrong that they have done to our cities, even if it is a completely financial business decision. I think 35 storey's might be overkill in this area. I would prefer a midrise master planned development. Which would allow other strip malls along Hespeler to be redeveloped. 

Not sure whether the cities loses anything by supporting smartcentre's rezoning application to the MZO, but seems like a no brainer if the city wants to justify the LRT in the future.

Ha, just noticed that they were planning on removing all retail. Very unusual.
(08-11-2021, 11:59 PM)bravado Wrote: Quite a bit of radio silence on a project of this immense size, do we know anything about when it begins?

When driving on the 401 towards Franklyn from Hespeler Rd, there seems to be a bunch of road construction behind the smart centre. As mentioned in my previous post, the original plan seems to have razzed the entire current development (which is about 16 or 17 years old, or a couple more years) in favour of residential. Possibly they'll retain the retail and simply add residential to the unused portion of property.
That development is on a lot that has been vacant forever. I believe it’s Branthaven homes.
https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/community-crafted-towns

(08-11-2021, 11:59 PM)bravado Wrote: Quite a bit of radio silence on a project of this immense size, do we know anything about when it begins?

I suspect they're not in a rush because of the pandemic is still ongoing, but I could see them getting started within a couple years. A lot of engineering, architectural design and studies will be needed so that will take a long time anyway. They may be waiting to see what is going to happen with the LRT too, which unfortunately, seems to be many years away - though they might get this started before then since the scale of this is immense and will take years. There are a ton of SmartLiving projects under construction at the moment so perhaps they don't want to do too much at once.
(08-16-2021, 11:48 AM)ac3r Wrote:

I suspect they're not in a rush because of the pandemic is still ongoing, but I could see them getting started within a couple years. A lot of engineering, architectural design and studies will be needed so that will take a long time anyway. They may be waiting to see what is going to happen with the LRT too, which unfortunately, seems to be many years away - though they might get this started before then since the scale of this is immense and will take years. There are a ton of SmartLiving projects under construction at the moment so perhaps they don't want to do too much at once.
Yup, 401 widening, hespeler rd bridge reconstruction, lrt and a large development in the lot directly behind smartcenters here makes me think there's no particular hurry here, especially since they have an MZO. They can basically do whatever they want, whenever the want (within the zoning limits of the MZO) and to my understanding nothing other than some potential concept renderings had been made prior to the MZO being issued. Definitely still lots to do here with no particular rush.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »