Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing costs
(08-25-2020, 01:07 AM)nms Wrote: Is there any chance of the last few pages getting put some place else? I lost track of where we stopped talking about restaurants that have closed and started talking about housing prices and population density.

In related news, I don't have any restaurant casualties to report.

Thanks mods!

Not sure if this is the right thread, but has there been any local news on what’s happening with the Waterloo rental market? One imagines that there must be hundreds of unrented/under rented apartments in the universities area at the moment?
(09-08-2020, 05:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Not sure if this is the right thread, but has there been any local news on what’s happening with the Waterloo rental market?  One imagines that there must be hundreds of unrented/under rented apartments in the universities area at the moment?

I have a grad student who has been looking for housing. He reported that people were trying to rent at full price until some time early last week, when there was capitulation. I think he's looking at the range $350-$525 for a room in a shared apartment, with people who are locked into leases throwing in discounts to subletters.
What was the old going rate for rooms in the newer five bedroom apartments? I imagine there are some nervous investors out there at the moment.
(09-08-2020, 09:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What was the old going rate for rooms in the newer five bedroom apartments?  I imagine there are some nervous investors out there at the moment.

$600-700 seems like the going price for a room in a nicer shared apartment. As plam says, you can now find rooms in the $300s.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »