Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Les Armstrong's racist FB post
(06-26-2020, 12:50 PM)jeffster Wrote: As for Jagmeet Singh, regardless if he’s right or wrong, he shouldn’t have done what he did. Our Parliament has certain rules, and Jagmeet disrespected our system by what he did.

Did you know that he's not the first person to use the word in the House of Commons? He's the only one to get expelled for it, though.

(06-28-2020, 02:26 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 12:50 PM)jeffster Wrote: As for Jagmeet Singh, regardless if he’s right or wrong, he shouldn’t have done what he did. Our Parliament has certain rules, and Jagmeet disrespected our system by what he did.

Did you know that he's not the first person to use the word in the House of Commons? He's the only one to get expelled for it, though.

Who did not get ejected?

The list of unacceptable words is quite long, and the common parliamentary rules (and the precedents) span not on the parliament but also the provincial legislatures.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/12737...66688.html
Just to note that all but the last of those examples predate the first ruling in Canada that “racist” was unparliamentary (1995 - Manitoba). I don’t know when it was first deemed unparliamentary at the federal level (possibly in the Singh case?).
I didn’t know about lipad.ca. Here is the link for the quotations I posted recently:

https://www.lipad.ca/full/2020/06/17/2/

Still not what it should be — it’s not obvious how to link to a specific contribution — but at least I can link directly to a single page of the right day’s information. So many people don’t understand that links are what make the Web the Web.
There really is no easy answer here regarding Jagmeet. At this point, it's water under the bridge, as he has already been punished. That said, Jagmeet is a party leader, and therefore a possible PM. I read the other remarks that Bytor had posted, and they mostly seemed like backbench MP's. Not that is was OK for them to do so. But I did think being a party leader, and therefore having more exposure, they need to be more careful.

In some of the information I found, online, I did find it interesting that Blackface (Trudeau) supported Jagmeet. Not that there was anything wrong with that, just interesting because I consider Trudeau to be very racist (and I suppose, I am being racist by saying that this is typical of Quebecers), he's just at covering it up and making excusing for it.

Myself, my family background has experienced racism as well, as we're part native Indian. I recall when I was a kid someone telling my dad to "go home paki" -- and I had no idea what that even meant at the time. I had an American that was part Cherokee (I had no idea) what I thought of Indians. I have no idea what she was hoping for as an answer, but I just said I was Metis and left it as that. When it comes to racism in Canada, it is more directed at the indigenous population, which is ironic, since we were here first before the whites arrived.

What I also don't like is people calling out racism when it doesn't exist. I saw something at the LCBO - this black man and what I assume was his daughter go through the check-out. Since the daughter had been handling all of the booze, the clerk ask her for her ID (since she looked about 15). Of course, she didn't have any, as she was under 19, so they refused to sale. The black man was very agitated and fighting with them, some crap about BLM and racism, and they were repeating what the Ontario laws are -- they legally have to refused to sell if the booze was handled by a minor.

One last point: I agree that just about everyone is racist to some extent. And it doesn't matter the background. What I do think needs to stop though is racism against your own kind. It seems acceptable to do so. While white racism isn't frowned upon at all, likely because it really doesn't matter (for example, making fun of Irish people, as at the end of the day, they still are treated fairly), it still shouldn't happen. But I think more importantly, it shouldn't be happening with those that already feel racism.

For example, I watched a movie last night, which was entirely a black cast. Basically following this black man as he's in prison, and the flashbacks to his life before prison. The language used in this movie, while likely accurate, doesn't paint a great pictures how black people treat each other. Whether this heritage was brought down generation after generation due to their treatment by whites in the past, it seems to me that it is something that needs to change in their heritage. Perhaps starting with the movies they produce.

Funny thing, I grew up watching the Cosby Show -- and I just figured that all black people were doctors (or engineers as my friends dad were). And that is what should be reflected more -- not this calling each other the n-word every second they get, and calling their girls hoes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »