Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Better Tent City
(06-03-2021, 11:30 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 09:00 AM)ac3r Wrote: NIMBYs in Woolwich Township are petitioning to stop A Better Tent City from moving out to their suburb. They've got a Change.org page running and The Record ran a story about it. The main complaint is that they basically don't want these people living near them and are assuming they'll breed criminal activity. Currently, it seems like the township is now pausing the plans while they figure out what to do, which is bad news for A Better Tent City since they have barely 3 weeks to find a new place to call home or risk being thrown to the curb once again.

Well, they're getting to the 2,500 signed pretty quickly.

I think once covid-19 testing winds down, you can put this in the old bus terminal. It would be great spot.

Jesus Christ, that's 10 percent of the fucking population of the township. If you subtract Elmira and St. Jacobs (which are very very far away from the site), it's probably close to a majority of the population of Breslau. Rotten to its core.

(06-03-2021, 12:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 11:30 AM)jeffster Wrote: Well, they're getting to the 2,500 signed pretty quickly.

I think once covid-19 testing winds down, you can put this in the old bus terminal. It would be great spot.

Jesus Christ, that's 10 percent of the fucking population of the township. If you subtract Elmira and St. Jacobs (which are very very far away from the site), it's probably close to a majority of the population of Breslau. Rotten to its core.

You are assuming these are all township residents. That may not be the case ...
(06-03-2021, 01:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 12:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Jesus Christ, that's 10 percent of the fucking population of the township. If you subtract Elmira and St. Jacobs (which are very very far away from the site), it's probably close to a majority of the population of Breslau. Rotten to its core.

That's a fair point. I'd argue the farther someone is the more obscene it is for them to object on grounds of "I don't want those people near me".

I'm sure there are a few who are more concerned about whether they can get good services there, but those people need to actually pay attention instead of signing a petition against those people having a home. That was my first question, so I engaged, and heard from those involved with ABTC, how they would meet their needs, and how this is their only option currently.

It wasn't hard.
(06-03-2021, 10:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 09:11 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Frankly, I have absolutely nothing nice to say to these NIMBYs...it's ridiculous...

And I will absolutely wear that downvote with pride.

I can't believe I'm on the side of danbrotherston!

Can you downvote a downvote?  I'd like to try!

Coke
Based upon the description provided by the residents of Woolich Township, I have found a picture of typical residents of a Better Tent City.    
(06-03-2021, 01:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 12:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Jesus Christ, that's 10 percent of the fucking population of the township. If you subtract Elmira and St. Jacobs (which are very very far away from the site), it's probably close to a majority of the population of Breslau. Rotten to its core.

They’re probably all from near (but not that near) Mill St.…
Is there no available city or regional space downtown where this could be relocated? Closer to services and transit! YIMBY?

(06-03-2021, 02:09 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 01:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: You are assuming these are all township residents. That may not be the case ...

They’re probably all from near (but not that near) Mill St.…

Looking at the comments on change.org, there are also many people who actually support BTC but who had to sign in order to post a comment.
(06-03-2021, 02:15 PM)creative Wrote: Is there no available city or regional space downtown where this could be relocated? Closer to services and transit! YIMBY?

I know the group has explicitly asked not to be located in an area like that.

I do think that there are spaces they could locate in, but so far, nobody has stepped up except the Woolwich option.
(06-03-2021, 01:47 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 10:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: And I will absolutely wear that downvote with pride.

I can't believe I'm on the side of danbrotherston!

Can you downvote a downvote?  I'd like to try!

Coke

Lol...you know we're on to something then.
(06-03-2021, 02:15 PM)creative Wrote: Is there no available city or regional space downtown where this could be relocated? Closer to services and transit! YIMBY?

Seemingly not, although the new location seems less than ideal.  Any port in a storm, I guess.
(06-03-2021, 03:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

I know the group has explicitly asked not to be located in an area like that.

Sorry, do you mean that the BTC residents have asked not to be relocated in Woolwich? Or something else?
(06-03-2021, 04:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 03:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I know the group has explicitly asked not to be located in an area like that.

Sorry, do you mean that the BTC residents have asked not to be relocated in Woolwich? Or something else?

As far as I understand, they asked not to be located in a central and "public" location. I am making the assumption they prefer a more private location away from people largely because they fear...well...exactly what we are seeing here, which is that they will be hated and feared because they are not living in traditional homes.

(06-03-2021, 06:13 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 04:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Sorry, do you mean that the BTC residents have asked not to be relocated in Woolwich? Or something else?

As far as I understand, they asked not to be located in a central and "public" location. I am making the assumption they prefer a more private location away from people largely because they fear...well...exactly what we are seeing here, which is that they will be hated and feared because they are not living in traditional homes.

It's funny, I made nearly the opposite assumption from you. That the residents of ABTC don't want to be in proximity to the problematic homeless that the people of Woolwich think these folks are. I suspect that they would stand out as the "privilege ones". Plus from the photo's I've seen, many of them have possessions that don't fit inside their homes, which would not last long in a place like the old bus terminal suggested above.

But this is a completely baseless assumption.
(06-03-2021, 02:06 PM)Acitta Wrote: Based upon the description provided by the residents of Woolich Township, I have found a picture of typical residents of a Better Tent City.

What the hell? Why is my family and me in that picture? Where'd you find that?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »