Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Restaurant casualties of COVID-19
Never did make it out to Naranj (not the one at Kitchener Market) but it looks like it's closed.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/whatson-st...ly-closed/

(07-27-2020, 07:02 PM)plam Wrote: Never did make it out to Naranj (not the one at Kitchener Market) but it looks like it's closed.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/whatson-st...ly-closed/

That’s too bad.  I really liked their food.  It was probably the best Middle Eastern Restaurant in the area.
The outdoor benches and seating is something they should consider every summer.

Has Two Goblets or anybody else taken advantage of the temporary space on Ontario St?
(08-01-2020, 08:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Has Two Goblets or anybody else taken advantage of the temporary space on Ontario St?

Is that part of Ontario closed? From my walk past I thought it was only King to Halls Lane, though I wasn't looking closely.

Sadly Grand Trunk Saloon hasn't setup a patio on Ontario St, they're dine-in only. One of my favourite restaurants in the region, and the part I really miss (their cocktails) I can't get to-go. Maybe if we can keep new cases at zero longer I'll consider dine-in.
(08-02-2020, 01:19 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 08:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Has Two Goblets or anybody else taken advantage of the temporary space on Ontario St?

Is that part of Ontario closed? From my walk past I thought it was only King to Halls Lane, though I wasn't looking closely.

Sadly Grand Trunk Saloon hasn't setup a patio on Ontario St, they're dine-in only. One of my favourite restaurants in the region, and the part I really miss (their cocktails) I can't get to-go. Maybe if we can keep new cases at zero longer I'll consider dine-in.

My mistake?  I thought it was Ontario N from King to Goudies Lane that was closed.
No, it's the half-block from Halls Lane to King St W only.

DVLB and Blackwing have both closed permanently as of yesterday (though I'm not sure if that's public yet). Smile Tiger remains open
(08-10-2020, 05:17 PM)GtwoK Wrote: DVLB and Blackwing have both closed permanently as of yesterday (though I'm not sure if that's public yet). Smile Tiger remains open

COVID-related, I presume?
(08-10-2020, 07:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 05:17 PM)GtwoK Wrote: DVLB and Blackwing have both closed permanently as of yesterday (though I'm not sure if that's public yet). Smile Tiger remains open

COVID-related, I presume?

From what I understand, yeah. Though dvlb surprises me, because it still seemed fairly packed everytime I walked by
Rhapsody Barrel Bar has announced it is permanently closed due to covid. I remember there being talk a couple years ago about the difficulties they were having and it looks like the reduced seatings and covid restrictions have made it too difficult for them to stay open.
Places like that are more a matter of “when” than “if”, imo.  Things are going to get ugly in a couple of months when it becomes too cold to eat on patios.
I agree. Places can only function on limited seating and take out so long

The prices really need to go up if restaurants are to be viable again ...
(08-21-2020, 03:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The prices really need to go up if restaurants are to be viable again ...

Or do rents need to come down?

I have no idea what the economics look like...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »