Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minimum wages and universal basic income
panamaniac Wrote:
plam Wrote:Canadian minimum wages are also not quite as much of a joke as American ones.

I don't think we have places in KW that are as high end as where one would expect exceptional experiences (say Four Seasons or a Michelin 3* restaurant). As it turns out, we like KW food more than NZ food, but it's not because KW food is high-end, it's because it's tasty.

We always talk about % tips but we don't usually specify if it's 15% of the pre-tax amount or the post-tax amount. Which aren't quite the same.

I got annoyed when the machines started prompting me to put in a set percentage tip and I realized that the amount included the tax, which I object to tipping on.  So I now make a small downward adjustment to pay a tip (15% or slightly more) that is based only on the bill for the food I've consumed.  My friends all think I'm a cheap b**tard!

There was an issue (I think it was the Cheesecake Factory... but I'm sure others use the same restaurant POS software) where a split bill used the table amount for the percentage tip.

(ie: A table of 4 people, total bill $400.  Each person gets separate cheques for $100.  Instead of getting a 15% = $15, all four would get 15% = $60)  After public outrage, it was changed, but I always do a mental check on my bills before blindly accepting their recommendations.

I agree with the others that I shouldn't be forced to pay the salary of wait staff, but do so out of sense of requirement.  So meh service still gets 15%.... better service more.

I loved the concepts that some restaurants tried where tipping was not allowed, and staff paid a living wage.  Unfortunately, I believe these trials have either failed, or not become widespread. 

Coke

(04-20-2020, 09:47 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
panamaniac Wrote:I got annoyed when the machines started prompting me to put in a set percentage tip and I realized that the amount included the tax, which I object to tipping on.  So I now make a small downward adjustment to pay a tip (15% or slightly more) that is based only on the bill for the food I've consumed.  My friends all think I'm a cheap b**tard!

I loved the concepts that some restaurants tried where tipping was not allowed, and staff paid a living wage.  Unfortunately, I believe these trials have either failed, or not become widespread. 

Coke

You are right, it has been tried, and I was always frustrated why it has not. I always thought it was because people were stupid about prices...you know, deceptive pricing is easy, you show someone a low price and it doesn't matter how many extra fees you tack on, they'll still think it's cheaper than if you showed the real price--even if they're angry about it. Cell phone providers and so many other companies know this very well.

But I'm beginning to think that the other motivations for people wanting to do tipping--which I already mentioned, play a bigger role than I thought. I think parts of it are cultural at this point.
(04-20-2020, 10:38 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 09:47 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: ...

Coke

You are right, it has been tried, and I was always frustrated why it has not. I always thought it was because people were stupid about prices...you know, deceptive pricing is easy, you show someone a low price and it doesn't matter how many extra fees you tack on, they'll still think it's cheaper than if you showed the real price--even if they're angry about it. Cell phone providers and so many other companies know this very well.

But I'm beginning to think that the other motivations for people wanting to do tipping--which I already mentioned, play a bigger role than I thought. I think parts of it are cultural at this point.

Well, the whole concept has a classist dimension to it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »