Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Section Consolidation
I don't know if this is even possible, but it would be nice for some sections of the forum to be consolidated into a single section. Most of the time I only look at new posts. When I actually go to the forum, it's usually because I'm looking for a specific thread. In some cases it is hard to figure out which section it would fall under and I end up having to look for awhile. In some cases, it makes sense to split things apart, but in others (the sections under "Waterloo Region Life", for example), it would probably make sense to have a single section.

I don't know if it's even possible, but just throwing it out there as a suggestion.

Did you have something specific in mind? Or just grouping all of Waterloo Region Life into one category?
I haven't given it enough though to recommend anything (yet, anyway), I just noticed that there are a lot of subforums with relatively few threads and enough overlap that it can be hard to know which subforum something belongs in. The Waterloo Region Life section is definitely one I think would be better off just being a single subforum, but I suspect there are other areas as well that would benefit from consolidation. I'm just one opinion, though, so I hope some other people can chime in if they rather have things the way they are.
On one hand you could argue that we could do away with subforums altogether (similar to what Discourse does) and avoid the whole problem.

On the other, the number of new threads created is quite small relative to the overall traffic, so maybe this is not a really big issue.
(02-06-2020, 08:00 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't know if this is even possible, but it would be nice for some sections of the forum to be consolidated into a single section. Most of the time I only look at new posts. When I actually go to the forum, it's usually because I'm looking for a specific thread. In some cases it is hard to figure out which section it would fall under and I end up having to look for awhile. In some cases, it makes sense to split things apart, but in others (the sections under "Waterloo Region Life", for example), it would probably make sense to have a single section.

I don't know if it's even possible, but just throwing it out there as a suggestion.

I just read all new posts... maybe it's not always the best use of my time, but it does ignore subforums.
I typically only look at new threads too. It's really only an issue if I see something I want to mention on the forum, know there's a thread about it somewhere, but have to dig around trying to find it.
Subforums help me find a thread if I want to contribute to a topic that's not been recently updated. Sometimes I still can't find things that way, but I'd hate to see the organization go away.

I definitely don't think we should eliminate them entirely, but they're only useful when there is clear division between them and enough threads to require organization. The Waterloo Life subforums don't really have clear divisions, nor do they have a lot of threads in them, so they would be prime for consolidation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »