Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
460 Columbia St W | 12 + 12 + 12 fl | U/C
(02-16-2022, 05:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 02:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I can’t say I like the long outdoor stairs.

The stairs are necessary to ensure that the basement level has decent-sized windows.

Why does the entrance have to be above the lowest floor?

(02-16-2022, 06:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 05:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The stairs are necessary to ensure that the basement level has decent-sized windows.

Why does the entrance have to be above the lowest floor?

Because otherwise you’d have to enter near the bedrooms and go up a flight of stairs to get to the living areas?
(02-16-2022, 07:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 06:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Why does the entrance have to be above the lowest floor?

Because otherwise you’d have to enter near the bedrooms and go up a flight of stairs to get to the living areas?

What, now the bedrooms have to be on the lowest floor? I’m pretty sure the building code doesn’t specify that.

Besides, right now you have to go up a flight of stairs to get to the living areas, just outside rather than inside, so what’s your point?

There is more than one way to lay out a house, and in our climate putting almost a full flight of stairs outside is a bad design.

Really, a better design would have no steps outside. They are a slip hazard under snowy/icy conditions. I would go so far as to say the building should be designed so that no hand shovelling is required — all areas should be able to be cleared using motorized snow clearing equipment.
(02-16-2022, 11:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 07:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Because otherwise you’d have to enter near the bedrooms and go up a flight of stairs to get to the living areas?

What, now the bedrooms have to be on the lowest floor? I’m pretty sure the building code doesn’t specify that.

Besides, right now you have to go up a flight of stairs to get to the living areas, just outside rather than inside, so what’s your point?

There is more than one way to lay out a house, and in our climate putting almost a full flight of stairs outside is a bad design.

Really, a better design would have no steps outside. They are a slip hazard under snowy/icy conditions. I would go so far as to say the building should be designed so that no hand shovelling is required — all areas should be able to be cleared using motorized snow clearing equipment.

haha Montreal (but they're not exactly the safest).
(02-16-2022, 11:37 PM)plam Wrote: haha Montreal (but they're not exactly the safest).

Do not get me started on Montreal’s outdoor stairs! Smile Huh
This project is called “The Laurels”

https://www.thelaurels.ca
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »