Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Federal Election
(02-26-2019, 04:39 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Hey- it seems to me that this is directly related to the title of the thread!

That's a good point. I definitely conflated this specific instance of the question with how it is often used elsewhere, which was unfair. Mea culpa.

(02-26-2019, 01:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 01:18 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: likely a minority government....

Maybe we could start thinking of "coalition" as something other than a dirty word ...

I agree.  Harper has two minority governments and got a lot done with consensus on all parties...
(02-26-2019, 06:53 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 01:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maybe we could start thinking of "coalition" as something other than a dirty word ...

I agree.  Harper has two minority governments and got a lot done with consensus on all parties...

I too preferred Harper in a minority government. As frankly, I would have preferred Trudeau in a minority government.

I find it frustrating when people are afraid of minority governments, especially when they say they prefer "strong" leadership instead of working together and consensus building...I mean, do even even hear what they're saying?
I'm definitely more of a fan of coalition governments for the stability they bring over time - we've had far too many instances of one majority replacing another, and just using their agenda to tear big things down that their predecessors built up. If the big projects are joint initiatives to begin with, the new government should still have a stake in them and continue supporting them.
(02-26-2019, 08:45 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'm definitely more of a fan of coalition governments for the stability they bring over time - we've had far too many instances of one majority replacing another, and just using their agenda to tear big things down that their predecessors built up. If the big projects are joint initiatives to begin with, the new government should still have a stake in them and continue supporting them.

Right. And a coalition is really very similar to a minority government, only that two parties have agreed to a shared common agenda for the term of the government, providing increased stability. The current NDP minority government in BC is for all intents and purposes a coalition with the Greens, except that the Greens don't get to take on any ministerial portfolios.
(02-26-2019, 08:11 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 07:15 AM)jgsz Wrote: Some observations regarding Andrew Moraga’s nomination to be the NDP candidate in Kitchener-Centre:

I have never heard anyone from the LGBTQ+ or anyone from marginalized communities accuse someone of identity politics.  That is the exclusive preserve of conservatives.  

I was reading and giving your thoughts careful consideration until you went and did just what you were speaking against  You categorized , or labeled people based on being in a particular group.  I align myself with more conservative politics however, I am extremely aware of my personal bias, and I continue to work on emotional intelligence each and everyday. I treat people fairly and I dont care what their back ground or gender identity is.  I am just respectful to everyone.  Much easier way to live life....  I dont take offense to your comment,  even though I feel it is in accurate. (I just wanted to be clear on that,so please continue to comment)

I should have been more clear regarding my observations.  What I meant to say is that, from what I can tell, the people who accuse anyone of identity politics are conservatives but not all conservatives do that.  Also, notice I wrote 'conservative' not Conservative.
(02-26-2019, 12:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 07:15 AM)jgsz Wrote: Some observations regarding Andrew Moraga’s nomination to be the NDP candidate in Kitchener-Centre:
(…)
So far, the comments here have zeroed in on Moraga’s racial background and that he’s a member of the LGBTQ+  community.

No one has commented on the fact that he is an environmental advocate and a scientist.  The article also mentions that he is working on his doctorate in social and ecological sustainability at UW.  These are very important qualifications for me.

The professional qualifications indeed appear to be good (I have not looked into his work yet). But Moraga described himself as a minority member first, and an environmentalist/scientist second, so it's not surprising that this is what the discussion has focused on.

Yeah, and this is why I referred to privilege.  When a heterosexual, white man or women declare their candidacy they don't have to mention their minority status because they don't belong to one.  But when they parade their spouse and kids on the stage they are proclaiming their heterosexuality.  It's just that that is so 'natural' no one seems to notice.

(02-27-2019, 07:03 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 08:11 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I was reading and giving your thoughts careful consideration until you went and did just what you were speaking against  You categorized , or labeled people based on being in a particular group.  I align myself with more conservative politics however, I am extremely aware of my personal bias, and I continue to work on emotional intelligence each and everyday. I treat people fairly and I dont care what their back ground or gender identity is.  I am just respectful to everyone.  Much easier way to live life....  I dont take offense to your comment,  even though I feel it is in accurate. (I just wanted to be clear on that,so please continue to comment)

I should have been more clear regarding my observations.  What I meant to say is that, from what I can tell, the people who accuse anyone of identity politics are conservatives but not all conservatives do that.  Also, notice I wrote 'conservative' not Conservative.

Ok, Ok,  you got me on that one !!!  Thanks for the clarification....  (also why I noted that I was not offended, just wanted it to be a productive conversation)
(02-27-2019, 07:11 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 12:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The professional qualifications indeed appear to be good (I have not looked into his work yet). But Moraga described himself as a minority member first, and an environmentalist/scientist second, so it's not surprising that this is what the discussion has focused on.

Yeah, and this is why I referred to privilege.  When a heterosexual, white man or women declare their candidacy they don't have to mention their minority status because they don't belong to one.  But when they parade their spouse and kids on the stage they are proclaiming their heterosexuality.  It's just that that is so 'natural' no one seems to notice.

At first I was going to suggest you use less loaded language than 'parade' if you want to convince anyone of anything, but then I realized that you're right. This is what a candidate is doing when he or she campaigns with his family: signalling to people facts about his identity.

I remember when Patrick Brown was running for the Tory leadership, among other thoughts about him and his qualifications were rumours concerning his status as a bachelor, and what that might mean. A few people suggested he might not be "normal" (I don't want to repeat some of things people said about him) because he was nearly forty and not married. Campaigning with one's spouse dispels those notions without having to come right out and identifying as a member of a certain group.
(02-27-2019, 03:40 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 07:11 AM)jgsz Wrote: Yeah, and this is why I referred to privilege.  When a heterosexual, white man or women declare their candidacy they don't have to mention their minority status because they don't belong to one.  But when they parade their spouse and kids on the stage they are proclaiming their heterosexuality.  It's just that that is so 'natural' no one seems to notice.

At first I was going to suggest you use less loaded language than 'parade' if you want to convince anyone of anything, but then I realized that you're right. This is what a candidate is doing when he or she campaigns with his family: signalling to people facts about his identity.

I remember when Patrick Brown was running for the Tory leadership, among other thoughts about him and his qualifications were rumours concerning his status as a bachelor, and what that might mean. A few people suggested he might not be "normal" (I don't want to repeat some of things people said about him) because he was nearly forty and not married. Campaigning with one's spouse dispels those notions without having to come right out and identifying as a member of a certain group.

Honestly, I don't recall any of our local candidates in the last federal election "parading" their spouses or children (of any sex or ethnic background). If they did, I missed it.
I don't think it's a very good word to use. But I think the point is fair. I can specifically recall several local candidates (candidate for councillor in Ward 10 last year; candidate for Kitchener Centre for the Tories in the provincial election) featuring pictures of their families in campaign materials. That's very very common, and obviously it's intended to convey something.
(02-27-2019, 06:47 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I don't think it's a very good word to use. But I think the point is fair. I can specifically recall several local candidates (candidate for councillor in Ward 10 last year; candidate for Kitchener Centre for the Tories in the provincial election) featuring pictures of their families in campaign materials. That's very very common, and obviously it's intended to convey something.

I suspect it's intended to convey "I understand and sympathize with families" more than "I am a heterosexual". This is not new, and existed long before same-sex relationships were acknowledged (or legal).

We have real, serious issues in our society that we need to address (such as aboriginal poverty, general lack of affordable housing and opioid addiction, for three). For me personally, the presence or absence of family photos in campaign materials doesn't rank very close to such issues.
I think that loud sound I heard was the Liberal Party fracturing: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics...in-affair/

Holy cow.

(02-27-2019, 09:46 PM)jamincan Wrote: I think that loud sound I heard was the Liberal Party fracturing: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics...in-affair/

Holy cow.

I just did a quick read and it's pretty much what I expected: asking her to find a solution other than prosecution, but stopping short of telling her what to do.

Personally, for a corporation, I think that a negotiated settlement with specified remedies might be the best solution anyway (you can't put a corporation in jail anyway) but that's really a separate question from what's the focus of this enquiry.
(02-27-2019, 09:46 PM)jamincan Wrote: I think that loud sound I heard was the Liberal Party fracturing: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics...in-affair/

Holy cow
WOW, very compelling.  She is a strong woman who epitomizes strong moral character.  She should consider running for Prime Minister.  The only caveat iss that she spent a lot of time with former SCC Justice Thomas Cromwell preparing... but she still is working off her own notes..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »