Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Opportunities
Lost Opportunities

This is a thread for discussing any projects that may or may not have happened that you believe have contributed to a lost opportunity for Waterloo Region.

The demolition of 3/4 buildings from the Lang Tannery complex in Downtown Kitchener on the block bound by Victoria st, Oak st, Joesph st and Linden Ave. I strongly believe these buildings could have contributed significantly to the revitalization of Downtown. Ultimately I love what Cadan created with the Tannery District, but wish these four buildings could have been restored as well. Now that the buildings have been demolished or will be I hope we see an exciting mixed use project built on this location in the near future that will somewhat lessen the blow.

Some articles and commentary on this issue.
http://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news/tanner ... nfinished/
http://www.jameshowe.ca/update-on-the-t ... rking-lot/

September 20, 2014

[Image: D2L-TanneryDistrict14.jpg]

[Image: D2L-TanneryDistrict11.jpg]

one of the lost buildings

[Image: LT6.jpg]
Although this event pre-dates my time in Waterloo Region, the 1993 demolition of the Kuntz/Carling/Labatt Brewery in Uptown Waterloo could have created a very exciting redevelopment opportunity as well as preserve an importance piece of the region's history. It is very sad that this complex (like many others) has disappeared from the region.

Images from the Waterloo Public Library
[Image: WatPL30858f.jpg]

[Image: WatPL29928f.jpg]

[Image: WatPL002506594f.jpg]
rangersfan Wrote:The demolition of 3/4 buildings from the Lang Tannery complex in Downtown Kitchener on the block bound by Victoria st, Oak st, Joesph st and Linden Ave. I strongly believe these buildings could have contributed significantly to the revitalization of Downtown. Ultimately I love what Cadan created with the Tannery District, but wish these four buildings could have been restored as well. Now that the buildings have been demolished or will be I hope we see an exciting mixed use project built on this location in the near future that will somewhat lessen the blow.

I was one of those arguing against the demolition of those buildings, but I now realize that the entire Tannery redevelopment would likely not have taken off without immediate and relatively large provision of parking. I'd rather it were otherwise, but that's not yet the reality here.
I'm torn. Obviously my preference by a significant margin is to have the buildings remain intact. But at the expense of the whole project? Then I'm not so sure. What the Tannery has added to downtown in terms of employment can not be understated.
Spokes Wrote:I'm torn. Obviously my preference by a significant margin is to have the buildings remain intact. But at the expense of the whole project? Then I'm not so sure. What the Tannery has added to downtown in terms of employment can not be understated.

Indeed, The Tannery District and Communitech have really been huge assets to Downtown Kitchener.
The worst failure to preserve a property is, in my mind, the old Forsyth factory on Duke near Young. If the City had only dedicated a bit more maintenance, we'd have a true heritage gem in the heart of downtown.

The Forsythe plant was a big loss, as was the Lyric Theatre, but the granddaddy of Kitchener's losses remains the old City Hall. The new City Hall is a vastly better facility, but the old building and civic square was truly the heart of the city for many people.
I can't seem to find a real image of the project once proposed for 247 King st N by Tanem Developments but I was always a big fan of this project. I feel like this development would have offered something vastly superior to what sits there today.

Project discussed at this page:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthre...850&page=1

News articles about the project:

http://www.thecord.ca/building-plans-at-...niversity/
(10-25-2014, 05:25 PM)rangersfan Wrote: I can't seem to find a real image of the project once proposed for 247 King st N by Tanem Developments but I was always a big fan of this project. I feel like this development would have offered something vastly superior to what sits there today.

Project discussed at this page:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthre...850&page=1

News articles about the project:

http://www.thecord.ca/building-plans-at-...niversity/

Has the Shoeless Joe's building prevented this from happening? This project predates my arrival to the region. What derailed it?
My understanding was that the plaza had some tenants who were not interested in the business interruption and had some time left on their lease (ahm, Starbucks).
Ya that's my understanding too.

I think the new building (shoeless joes kind of ruins most development opportunities in terms of large scale.
A lost opportunity for me would have been to move the old Ontario Table and Chair factory (now the site of 144 Park) to Doon Heritage Village and possibly incorporating it into the new Waterloo Region Museum as a gateway to the Village. It was from the same time period that the Village depicts (ie 1914) was of the right scale to not dominate anything already there or be too difficult to move, even if it were brick-by-brick. With the right co-operation with places like Conestoga College or other local Masons, it would have been a perfect marriage of old and new.

(10-26-2014, 12:32 AM)nms Wrote: A lost opportunity for me would have been to move the old Ontario Table and Chair factory (now the site of 144 Park) to Doon Heritage Village and possibly incorporating it into the new Waterloo Region Museum as a gateway to the Village.  It was from the same time period that the Village depicts (ie 1914) was of the right scale to not dominate anything already there or be too difficult to move, even if it were brick-by-brick.  With the right co-operation with places like Conestoga College or other local Masons, it would have been a perfect marriage of old and new.

I agree.  I'm not known as someone sentimental about buildings merely because they are old. That one seemed worth saving. 
Although i'm too young to remember the original redevelopment proposal for Waterloo town square (90s/early 00s) I have googled it and I think it should have happened. IMO it was a huge mistake scaling it down to what it is now. The proposal might have been ahead of it's time though, It sounds like there was a lot of opposition and not much support, now I think it would be the opposite. I read it included a new large Zehrs, Galaxy cinemas a Chapters and a lot more. I think there was discussion about it on Wonderful Waterloo but I can't remember, There is also a discussion about it on http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=370705
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »