Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Civic 66 (Weber, Scott and Pearl Pl) | 11 fl | U/C
Amazing how fast this one went up. Unlike anything done by Auburn -- I am sure they'd still be assembling the crane, 1 bolt at a time. Ditto for Drewlo who seem to be taking their sweet time.

There's something about this project that's always really excited me despite the fact that it's not an overly exciting project. 🤷‍♂️
I like that this section of Weber has a bit of densification going on. There is this project and the one across the street. That property at Weber and Cedar sold (or is for sale?), although we don't yet know what will be done there.
(01-01-2022, 08:50 AM)Spokes Wrote: There's something about this project that's always really excited me despite the fact that it's not an overly exciting project. 🤷‍♂️

That part of Weber has really changed. Really nice projects going up. It takes away from the new courthouse a bit, which is a good thing. Courts should not have an intimidating feel/look.
(01-01-2022, 11:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: I like that this section of Weber has a bit of densification going on. There is this project and the one across the street. That property at Weber and Cedar sold (or is for sale?), although we don't yet know what will be done there.

The properties at Weber and Cedar still have the for sale signs up.
Drove past this one yesterday and really liked the precast patterning. This corner has really come to life with this and The Scott. Two quality examples of mid-rise that I think we could afford to have more of throughout town.
(05-11-2022, 09:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Drove past this one yesterday and really liked the precast patterning. This corner has really come to life with this and The Scott. Two quality examples of mid-rise that I think we could afford to have more of throughout town.

I was just wondering about that yesterday.   Pics appreciated!

(05-12-2022, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 09:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Drove past this one yesterday and really liked the precast patterning. This corner has really come to life with this and The Scott. Two quality examples of mid-rise that I think we could afford to have more of throughout town.

I was just wondering about that yesterday.   Pics appreciated!

I recalled someone asked for a picture when I was walking by the other day, but forgot it was specifically about the precast pattern, sorry. You can still see it somewhat in the full size image: https://i.imgur.com/JF4RKrC.jpg

[Image: JF4RKrC.jpg]
That looks like a warmer colour than I recall. Maybe the sunlight skewing the colour balance?
(05-17-2022, 10:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That looks like a warmer colour than I recall. Maybe the sunlight skewing the colour balance?

It was taken at 7:22pm, so the evening sun may be affecting it.
While the design is meh I like how they made part of the façade match the brutalist building at 82 Weber - specifically that circle pattern it has in the concrete. I really hope they never demolish that building because there aren't many examples of brutalist architecture in Canada - especially Waterloo Region. It may not be a popular style with people, but it was an extremely important architectural movement and buildings made in that style deserve preservation.
(05-18-2022, 11:29 AM)ac3r Wrote: While the design is meh I like how they made part of the façade match the brutalist building at 82 Weber - specifically that circle pattern it has in the concrete. I really hope they never demolish that building because there aren't many examples of brutalist architecture in Canada - especially Waterloo Region. It may not be a popular style with people, but it was an extremely important architectural movement and buildings made in that style deserve preservation.

Have you been on the UW campus?
Yeah. I know we have some buildings, but there are not that many here. Brutalism never took off in North America as well as it did in Europe (particularly the United Kingdom). 82 Weber really works because it isn't a very bold building. Brutalism was often criticized as being very heavy and monolithic, but that little office is small and subtle so the concrete and dark wood looks great. I hope we can preserve this stuff here.

(05-18-2022, 11:29 AM)ac3r Wrote: While the design is meh I like how they made part of the façade match the brutalist building at 82 Weber - specifically that circle pattern it has in the concrete. I really hope they never demolish that building because there aren't many examples of brutalist architecture in Canada - especially Waterloo Region. It may not be a popular style with people, but it was an extremely important architectural movement and buildings made in that style deserve preservation.

Off-topic, but I was a bit disappointed to see how much of the original cladding they’ve removed for the renovation of the former provincial courthouse, a pretty good brutalist building by a local architect.
Crane is coming down today.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »