Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Results Discussion

Wow

End of an era. Probably needed a change to be honest.
(10-22-2018, 11:03 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 10:59 PM)tvot Wrote: Thanks, fixed.

Yes, if lived in Ward 5 I would have voted for Vasic.

I'm happy with Tenille Bonoguore winning. I liked both her and Rami but I ended up voting for Tenille because she raised a few more issues that I care about in the debates -- even though I am in favour of the approved 70 King North development. Considering Sproule was in second place, I'm relieved that Tenille pulled ahead.

Sell me on her, because there was just something about her, I just had trouble getting on board with.

Same with me.
(10-22-2018, 11:07 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wow

End of an era.  Probably needed a change to be honest.

Good. Now is she any better?
I'll be honest, I'm not sure. I think so, but that's just based on some friends who live in Cambridge feeling they need some change.

Maybe a little less Cambridge against the world mentality coming out of the mayors office?
Woo 33% percent turnout in Cambridge. Ranked ballots are dead. Surprise surprise.
So Jasob Erb—the candidate who thinks there are too many Chinese students at UW and that Auschwitz had a movie theatre and swimming pool—appears to have been elected as a WRDSB trustee in Wilmot Township.

https://www.wilmot.ca/en/elections/2018-...sults.aspx

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/897...-comments/

I think Wilmot is combined with Waterloo, and those numbers have to be added to the Waterloo numbers, which leaves Jason Erb not in the top 3. But very concerning he'd be top 3 in Wilmot.
You're right, he didn't do anywhere near as well in Waterloo, but it's very concerning Wilmot was willing to elect him to the position.
What a heartbreaker for John Jordan in Wilmot. He lost the mayoralty by 85 votes.
Consider emailing candidates you liked and supported who weren't elected tonight and thanking them for running. I know there were a number of people who I voted for who better reflected my values than the person elected, and I appreciate that I was able to direct my vote that way instead of just having the incumbent acclaimed.
(10-22-2018, 11:44 PM)fakepnijjar Wrote: Woo 33% percent turnout in Cambridge. Ranked ballots are dead. Surprise surprise.

How on earth could ranked ballots not pass?  Opposition to any sort of change?
(10-23-2018, 05:24 AM)jamincan Wrote: Consider emailing candidates you liked and supported who weren't elected tonight and thanking them for running. I know there were a number of people who I voted for who better reflected my values than the person elected, and I appreciate that I was able to direct my vote that way instead of just having the incumbent acclaimed.

Absolutely!
And with any luck they'll run again in four years.

For a lot of first time candidates going up against an incumbent is difficult and they could see a lot more success the second time around.

(10-23-2018, 06:48 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 05:24 AM)jamincan Wrote: Consider emailing candidates you liked and supported who weren't elected tonight and thanking them for running. I know there were a number of people who I voted for who better reflected my values than the person elected, and I appreciate that I was able to direct my vote that way instead of just having the incumbent acclaimed.

Absolutely!
And with any luck they'll run again in four years.

For a lot of first time candidates going up against an incumbent is difficult and they could see a lot more success the second time around.

Very true.  And if they dont run again, then we see how important it was or was not to them..  What I find interesting is how many of them only want to champion change through election.  They now have four years to get out into the community and volunteer.  So many boards and committees at the city of Kitchener looking for volunteers.  I know because I sit on them and see...  That is how I evaluate people running, not just what they say they will do.  Past action is predictive of future performance.  Just my two cents worth.  That and and 48 more cents will get you a phone call...
(10-23-2018, 06:45 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 11:44 PM)fakepnijjar Wrote: Woo 33% percent turnout in Cambridge. Ranked ballots are dead. Surprise surprise.

How on earth could ranked ballots not pass?  Opposition to any sort of change?

*sigh*...pathetic.

It did pass in Kingston however.

Even better, despite the extended process that's totally unnecessary, but still happening in London, there's a good chance they'll get their results before us.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »