Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
168 King St S | 8 fl | U/C
(03-09-2020, 03:24 PM)timc Wrote: It reminds me a bit of The Red, which is in the same area.

I thought the same.

(03-10-2020, 01:43 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 03:24 PM)timc Wrote: It reminds me a bit of The Red, which is in the same area.

I thought the same.
I hope not. Definitely not my favorite mid-rise in the region. The corner of that building at King and Allen is pretty bad in my opinion. I would hope they look further down the street at The Cortes for inspiration.
(03-10-2020, 03:23 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 01:43 PM)Spokes Wrote: I thought the same.
I hope not. Definitely not my favorite mid-rise in the region. The corner of that building at King and Allen is pretty bad in my opinion. I would hope they look further down the street at The Cortes for inspiration.

I think The Red looks better than this render ...
[quote pid='78266' dateline='1583882422']

I think The Red looks better than this render ...
[/quote]
Agree to disagree on that. Although this is hardly a render. Pretty simple sketchup model. Still, I see no grey spandrel panels meeting grey grey metal panels in this rendering. It could turn out just as bad though.
My biggest concern with Red is the raised street level. I don't love that.
(03-10-2020, 09:36 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 07:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I think The Red looks better than this render ...

Agree to disagree on that. Although this is hardly a render. Pretty simple sketchup model. Still, I see no grey spandrel panels meeting grey grey metal panels in this rendering. It could turn out just as bad though.

No spandrel, that's true. But a very heavy-looking podium covered in white (EIFS?) which doesn't look great to me.
The second render we saw had TONS of spandrel, interesting that they'd get rid of it completely.

(03-11-2020, 10:32 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:36 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Agree to disagree on that. Although this is hardly a render. Pretty simple sketchup model. Still, I see no grey spandrel panels meeting grey grey metal panels in this rendering. It could turn out just as bad though.

No spandrel, that's true. But a very heavy-looking podium covered in white (EIFS?) which doesn't look great to me.
Oh I hope the podium isn't EIFS. That would definitely put this in a worse category than the red. I was hoping it was a white metal panel. As dull as the previous render was in terms of colour. I might actually like it better.
Anyone know if Council approved the zone change for the development this past Monday?
Thumbs Up 
(03-11-2020, 03:52 PM)Watdot Wrote: Anyone know if Council approved the zone change for the development this past Monday?

They were approved (look at comment):
Plan Together - New 8 Story Development proposed for King Street
Great news!
Developer asks to demolish Waterloo house where eight storey development proposed
According to a members letter I received this week, the Uptown Waterloo Branch of Your Neighbourhood Credit Union will be temporarily relocating to the building that formerly housed Marbles Restaurant in preparation for the demolition and rebuild of the current branch. It is not stated in the letter, but I assume that the demolition will involve all the buildings involved in this proposed project, but I don't have any further information.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...union.html

Looks like YNCU has moved, and construction will start this fall on the new building. It mentions affordable apartments, which I hadn't heard for this project before.
Construction fencing is up and the house next to the credit union has been demolished.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »